Sign in to follow this  
Feather

DLA for 16 year olds

Has anyone signed the DLA form that is sent out after DLA has been awarded for 16 year olds, that says you are going to manage your child's money for them. Once you tick the box to say you are going to do this, it also says they will send someone out to visit you in your home. Has anyone done this yet, as I don't know what to expect, and someone from DWP is coming round next week.

I did several years ago, but we chose to go to the JobCentre+. It was a very brief conversation - they just wanted to make sure that T was OK with me dealing with things for him. He then had a chat with the man about their computer system - lol!

Yes - I've been through this. It was very straightforward for us - a woman came and just checked who I was, went through the paperwork and I signed the form. She didn't stay very long. I had expected something a bit more rigorous but she didn't even ask to see ID or my daughter who was waiting in the next room (I had prepared her for the visit). Your experience may be a bit different.

I think the purpose is administrative: just to verify your identity and check no fraud is being committed.

K x

I have also had a lady come around to my house I prepared my son but then she turned up hours earlier and my son was in bed as he was up loads in the night. She was very understanding about autism and the whole thing and said although she was supose to see him-she just accepted documents as it was clear that he had lots of difficulties & wouldn't be able to manage his own fianances etc and I then had to sign a form.

Our experience was mixed. They sent a guy out who was clueless about asperger's. My lad was sitting eating breakfast when he came and the guy asked him if he was doing his GCSE's next year, to which he mumbled 'yes' and from that he decided that he was capable of looking after his own affairs. I couldn't sit there in front of my lad and explain to the man everything that he couldn't do, but I tried to get the message across. Up until then, my lad didn't even know we were claiming DLA on his behalf so we had to explain it all to him but he was totally uninterested really. The guy then said he'd arrange it so that letters would come addressed to Jay and he would sign things but that the money would continue to be paid into my account and left it at that. However, the next payment that came following his 16th birthday came in the form of a cheque in Jay's name. I phoned up the DLA peeps but they insisted that the guy didn't have authority to do what he did and in the end I let it go, but I was very angry. In the end it did work out well, tbh. We helped Jay open a bank account and got a card for him and it did make us do that, probably before we were ready to, but he did cope okay with a lot of help, so it has been quite good in a way. I was just annoyed that the guy who visited said it would be one way and then it was completely different. The only thing that worries me now is that the next set of DLA forms that comes to be filled out will have to be filled out by Jay and, firstly, he won't cope with that and also it will be devastating for him to see all of his 'problems' set out in black and white like that. I'm planning to get him to sign them first and then I'll fill them out so he won't have to see them.

~ Mel ~

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have had a letter to say name of person from DWP who is coming to the house, and that it is to speak to me and my child, to check they are ok with me managing their DLA money. I have to show 2 proofs of identity and they are also coming to see if they can help or offer with any other services.

My son turned 16 in April. He has a rare chromosome disorder and significant learning difficulties.

First I had to chase someone coming out and had to resend the forms I'd lodged saying he couldn't manage his own affairs.

Then he had a letter saying someone was going to see him to help him apply for DLA! I phoned them and they said it was the wrong letter. I am angry that they say they will come "in the morning" or "in the evening" and won't give a more specific time.

They are coming next week as I said I didn't want to take him out of school to wait around for a morning - will keep you posted. Hope your appointment goes well.

The only thing that worries me now is that the next set of DLA forms that comes to be filled out will have to be filled out by Jay and, firstly, he won't cope with that and also it will be devastating for him to see all of his 'problems' set out in black and white like that. I'm planning to get him to sign them first and then I'll fill them out so he won't have to see them.

~ Mel ~

The problem is if they need to speak to him, they will only speak to him. If there are any problems, he will have to deal with them.

I explained to my son that he would have to fill in the forms and deal with any problems, and he was then very happy for me to be his appointee. It covers all dwp benefits, so when he claimed ESA I could do the forms for him. You can always ask to be his appointee again.

Hi I recently had to fill in a dla renewal form for my son he is 14 and I note his claim has been renewed for 4 years so he will be 18 when he needs to renew again. So will I get this letter near his 16 birthday or ? am a bit confused.

I do know one thing though my son is not good at all with cash I can see him just opening up the argos catalogue and him spending it all in there. I know I will have to deal with his money and his bills when he is old enough. So how do we go about that?

worries me also, mine is 15 soon and would spend it all on itunes...... and yes I know its for him but not just to fritter, which he would.

I believe that, regardless of renewal date, you get adult forms to complete in advance of their 16th birthday.

Our son's renewal was set for his 16th Birthday.

With the DLA form comes an extra form where you say whether your child is capable of managing their own affairs. I ticked no. Sometime later (5mths for us) they arrange for the local pensions service to come out and check for themselves. My son has significant learning difficulties, so it was fairly straightforward - I explained that he has no concept of the value of money and is very vulnerable. We had to provide ID for him and me and that was that.

At the moment his DLA is paid into a joint account between my husband and I. The DWP man said they'd prefer it if it was a sole account in my name or, even better, a joint account with my son. He left it as is for now though and we can let DWP know when the new account is up and running.

HTH

Carol

Just posting an update. We have had our visit this week from someone at the DLA, and they do exactly as emmasmum has said. They checked if it was ok with my son for me to manage his money, and checked my ID. I then signed a form to say I would be managing his money. The person was really nice and just asked a few other questions to see what his difficulties were, and about college etc. The forms do change when they turn 16, as they are maybe going into further education etc. I don't know if they visit all homes, or wether you get picked out randomly.

Just to add another experience, the same as the others happened with me. I was worried that they were coming to do some kind of interrogation, but it was very simple and straightforward. I don't think he even spoke to my son, except maybe to confirm his name and age. I signed a form and showed him ID. It was all over in 15 minutes and we have had no problems at all.