mrsrosa

hello,im new as well

hello im new to this site,ive two daughters 8 and 3,my three year old has just been diagnosed with asd,its come as a bit of a shock,we attend a playtogs group that has been going very well and have just been invited to join our local early bird course in september. anyone got any experience of early bird,thanks xx

:thumbs: Welcome ....no experience of early bird..

...but ......if you open a new thread in Help /Advice perhaps asking specifically for others experiences of earlybird you may get more replies and responses , regards suzex

Hi

Welcome >:D<<'> It is hard when you first get a diagnosis but this forum is really great.You are also lucky that you got a diagnosis so early so that your little one can get all the help she needs.

I know there is a member who recently did the early bird but dont want to make a mistake with the username but sure if you ask in a discussion someone will come up.

Hello, welcome to the site!

The early bird is a course that runs for a couple of months (I think) for pre-school children and it can involve training sessions, home visits and video feed back. You will probably discuss things like understanding autism, behaviours, PECS, TEACCH etc Hopefully it should help you to understand how to support your daughter!

thanks for all your lovely replies,we have just had comfirmation we are on the early bird course for september,part of me is really looking forward to it as i think it will give us alot of help,im really nervous tho,dont really like speaking infront of people i dont know!

guess ill have to get over that!

Hello MrsRosa - welcome to the forum :thumbs:

I did early-bird with my son years ago, and the 'home videos' (which I assume will still be part of it) from then still warm me cockles occassionally! Different people got different things from the course, and TBH I got very little because my work experience and the support I had been giving my (autistic) nephew for years beforehand put me in a different place to most of the other parents, iykwim. As a starter course in understanding and techniques though, it was invaluable to some, and for everyone involved it was reassuring to meet other parents in the same boat and to know that you weren't alone. So mostly a big thumbs up :thumbs: for early bird, but if offering one word of caution it would be that they can be given to a bit of generalisation and promotion of the latest theory or intervention that the NAS has endorsed (back when I went it was 'PECS' and I had lots of 'debates' with the S&LT about it :lol: ). Try to think outside of the 'boxes' they offer you, and remember that if one child who's autistic behaves a certain way for one set of (usually assumed) reasons it doesn't mean that all autistic children will behave that way, or that if they do the reasons (assumed or otherwise) are the same. Kids more often do things because circumstances mean they can, not because they 'have to'. ;)

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

Hello MrsRosa - welcome to the forum :thumbs:

I did early-bird with my son years ago, and the 'home videos' (which I assume will still be part of it) from then still warm me cockles occassionally! Different people got different things from the course, and TBH I got very little because my work experience and the support I had been giving my (autistic) nephew for years beforehand put me in a different place to most of the other parents, iykwim. As a starter course in understanding and techniques though, it was invaluable to some, and for everyone involved it was reassuring to meet other parents in the same boat and to know that you weren't alone. So mostly a big thumbs up :thumbs: for early bird, but if offering one word of caution it would be that they can be given to a bit of generalisation and promotion of the latest theory or intervention that the NAS has endorsed (back when I went it was 'PECS' and I had lots of 'debates' with the S&LT about it :lol: ). Try to think outside of the 'boxes' they offer you, and remember that if one child who's autistic behaves a certain way for one set of (usually assumed) reasons it doesn't mean that all autistic children will behave that way, or that if they do the reasons (assumed or otherwise) are the same. Kids more often do things because circumstances mean they can, not because they 'have to'. ;)

Hope that's helpful

L&P

thanks so much for taking the time to post,thats really helpful,yep the home video is still part of it,cant say im looking forward to that but hey ho! i think knowing your not alone is a great help x

thanks so much for taking the time to post,thats really helpful,yep the home video is still part of it,cant say im looking forward to that but hey ho! i think knowing your not alone is a great help x

Honestly, you might not like the home videoing at the time, but when you're looking back...

Mind you. most peeps have MILES of home vids these days, so maybe that's the difference? Biut with all the other home vids i'm the one holding the camera. Early birds is me and son spending quality time together, and in that sense it's priceless! In one scene we are reading a book together and I show him a picture and he says 'it's a turtle!', and there is no way on earth i would have remembered just how wonderful the surprise and pleasure registered in his voice at the time. On another bit we're 'preparing' plastic fruit and veg (they velcro together and you 'cut' them in half with plastic knives) and he's naming the different items as we cut them. Other than propping the camera on a shelf we wouldn't have those memories :)

L&P

hello im new to this site,ive two daughters 8 and 3,my three year old has just been diagnosed with asd,its come as a bit of a shock,we attend a playtogs group that has been going very well and have just been invited to join our local early bird course in september. anyone got any experience of early bird,thanks xx

Hi, and a nice warm welcome, hope that the early bird course isnt too daunting, if your worried contact the person who will run the group before hand and maybe request a home visit or similair, I did the NAS Help courses which proved invaluable, they really helped with the communication side of things, you daughter is young to get a diagnosis so it is positive in our area, many parents are been told, oh lets wait and see, to see if there is any improvements, which for some children means its years before a dx or need is identified and support is offered, meaning that the child doesnt access the right support, your daughter has a chance of getting support early, a very big thing now a days that can make a big difference to her future needs, still, it must be very shocking to you if you where not expecting ASD, so it will be a real roller coaster of a journey for you, you maybe come tearful and upset, or angry or resentful, it really is different for many parents, but what ever it is, let it out, let go, it is all part of the process and will do you good, in the end, that is, so be easy on yourself, take care of your own needs too and take it one day at a time for now.

Glad you found your way here.

JsMumx

Welcome to the site, i hope you find the support you need from here.