Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

how can i teach my child about people taking the mick

Can anyone help me in this dilemma

My 7 year old does not seem to see when people are taking the mick, he believes every one, how can i teach him to be wise of the world, i know he is only 7 and has asd, but i am wondering perhaps a social story will help?

Try doing some gentle micky-taking at home. Social stories might help but it's a difficult topic to broach - too many complications and variables - so it might not have the desired results. We did a lot of stuff at home while playing board games, at the table for meals etc - just very gentle stuff at first followed by a clear explanation that I was 'taking the micky' and in time J was able to get it. He's quite good at it now, doesn't get stressed when people are teasing as he knows it's not serious.

Karen

x

hi mygifts

agree with karen, we have always taken the mick out of george, when playing ect and he now has an understanding of kinds about this, but he does check with us if we are joking so not they yet, but i must say it dose not work great outside the house with other people, he thought his daft grandad had a donkey in his garage for ages when grandad thought it would be funny to tell him this, wasnt smiling when i made him take him to his garage to proof it lol, he never thinks people are taking the mick outside the house he says they are being nasty and rude so have a long way to go with the outsiders yet, i think it is so hard for them to tell the difference, my son is also 7 with asd, we just keep trying to let him know when the mickie is being taken,

take care

theresa

Why does he need to learn this?

I'm 32 and still don't always recognise when I'm being attacked, but I know if someone has a hostile or friendly vibe. I bet your kid does too. If he trusts someone who's ribbing him, they're probably harmless and it doesn't matter whether he takes them literally.