allyd

hello

hello, i`m Allyd, I am a 48 year old female not long diagnosed with AS. I went for diagnosis after all these years as I started a university degree and could not access support with a diagnosis ! My son, now 24 is also diagnosed with AS- and he recognised it in me! I have supported people of all ages on the spectrum- as my job was a local area co-ordinator, for people missed by services ! For five years i supported over 150 individuals. I have a good understanding and I am very interested in Asperger`s syndrome and supporting people who need it. I am looking forward to making postings and being part of this group, Allyd. :thumbs:

Welcome

Im also an asperger student.

Welcome

Im also an asperger student.

What are you studying ? I`m just about to go into my second year of Health & Social Studies, thinking about doing 4th year in Autism studies ? But we`ll see what happens. I had put off study, thinking i wouldn`t be able to do it and i got an assessment for dyslexia- and bingo, that was part of my difficulties with learning- the unseen part of dyslexia which affects my ability to remember and recall stuff also I have a funny way of explaining myself ! If I can do this at 48 , theres hope for everyone with asperger`s !!

Hi Allyd welcome to the forum. :)

Your story is inspiring - so good to know that as far as studying and getting support is concerned it is never "too late". Look forward to hearing about your experience.

K x

Wow, your story is amazing, welcome to the group.x

JsMumx

I agree with Js mum :notworthy: It's great that despite the difficulties you are still working towards a degree,fantastic :thumbs:

I am 27 and starting Uni in September,I am NT,I thought being a muture student will bring about lots of difficulties in itself,add to that your AS, really great >:D<<'>

What are you studying ? I`m just about to go into my second year of Health & Social Studies, thinking about doing 4th year in Autism studies ? But we`ll see what happens. I had put off study, thinking i wouldn`t be able to do it and i got an assessment for dyslexia- and bingo, that was part of my difficulties with learning- the unseen part of dyslexia which affects my ability to remember and recall stuff also I have a funny way of explaining myself ! If I can do this at 48 , theres hope for everyone with asperger`s !!

i think you mean a 3rd year and ive managed to get on my course this way. i did a diploma of higher education at Bath Spa (IME an asperger friendly university), then i took some time out due to mental health problems returning to study via a distance education course at Birmingham. Im studying autism, the BPhil to be precise and considering doing my masters there. Im considering a masters if i cant get onto a work training scheme in April next year (city of bristol college another asperger friendly institution).

I agree with Js mum :notworthy: It's great that despite the difficulties you are still working towards a degree,fantastic :thumbs:

I am 27 and starting Uni in September,I am NT,I thought being a mature student will bring about lots of difficulties in itself,add to that your AS, really great >:D<<'>

As a former younger student and now a mature student i find being without hormonal distractions makes it easier to concentrate on my work.