Candyfloss

Do girls with aspergers / autism have good lives? do they have a job? what is their life like?

I don't think there's one simple answer to that question Candyfloss. Each girl with ASD will be completely different and lead a completely different life, just like with NT girls.

Lynne

I guess it depends on how much support you get in the employment, if there understanding, supportive, give you extra training, time, organising, planning, how much the employer understands Autism needs, how much your disability effects your functioning and what overwhelms you, causes you distress ect....

Do you attend any AS groups, maybe these kinds of issues do effect others too, Im reading women on a different planet, havent read much of it, but it describes other womens experience of AS. might be a good read for you.

NAS may hold further information on Autism and Employment support.

Maybe your just overwhelmed at the moment, and need decompart things to make decisions of what is important today, rather than worrying about tomorrow, or the next day.

It maybe that you require more support to be able to lead a more independant life.

JsMumx

To me having a happy life is being respected and accepted 'warts and all'. it is good to have long term goals (ive been speaking about this on another list strangely enough).

For me having a happy life is working with autistics (either paid or voluntary capacity) being able to drive, having home help that suits my needs and having enough money to live on.

Good things happening in my life

Im the social secretary for the NAS groups in my area and volunteer where i can to help out at NAS events.

Im learning to drive and have my theory test due on the 23rd July, i should be a qualified driver by Sept.

Bad things happening in my life

Im having financial problems budgeting due to loosing track of my finances.

Im having problems with home support as they are less ASD friendly than they appeared to be at 1st. Also social services are doing unlawful things such as refusing to support me during bank holidays (and not paying extra for my home help). im very distressed by the home help situation at the moment and plan to move to individual budgets, then get NAS home help then move to Bath.

Im happy with some aspects of my life but not others. i know a few female autistics who are happy in their lives and others that aren't.

As Lynden says, we are all indiduals and we are different in the same that neurotypical girls are.

I have been quite fortunate as I work and I own my own house. I have always wanted to be independent and my parents couldn't understand it, when I left home as soon as I could. I was eighteen at the time. It was an obssession of mine to have my own place which I could call my home. I saved up for years until I got the deposit for a small flat at the age of 36. Since then I've moved yup the property ladder. I live alone.

My main problems are around social issues. II'm often considered to be aloof. I have difficulties in initiating and maintaining a conversation. I got round that one by finding friends who talk a lot ! However, I have lost close friends over the years through them misunderstanding me. That makes me feel sad. I sometimes feel I should get out more and developv a better social life but I have a tendency to be passive.

I am often accused of not working as part of a team as I get anxious and have to finish any job I have started. I will only help others when I have completed the task in hand. on a positive note, one could also say that this is conscientiousness or tenacity !

Because of the job I do, which involves dealing with people who can sometimes be deemed as vulnerable, disadvantaged etc. I have had to learn tact and diplomacy and I must say, I think I am pretty good at it. However I do manage to upset the occasional person, because I can be quite challenging- and some don't like it.

I am ofen accused of selective hearing. The trouble is, I don't deliberately think that I will listen to one thing and not the other, it just happens, and often I miss out on chunks of someones conversation. Whereby they think I don't value what is being said. Zoning out is another issue.

All said and done, I just manage to keep my head above water, although I am prone to depression.

Edited by Jannih