Stella63

Some Good News!!!

Hi

Thought I should share with you that I have today finished and sent off the second and final part of my thesis for my post grad certificate in Aspergers!! It has taken 3 years to do and when I first started it was when AJ decided to go off the rails, and although things are less stressed, he is still not where he should be, but I have managed to soldier on this year and get it done!!!

The other bit of good news is that OJ has today gone to the South of France for 9 days on a PGL water sports holiday with the school!!! I'm still not sure why he wanted to do it as although he likes water, he hates sport and being away from home and his routines!! It has been a little stressful the last week or so as the reality hit him and all his anxieties kicked in big time (inspite of the Prozac!!). Both he and i know that if he succeeds with this it will do so much for his confidence and self esteem and I am keeping everything crossed for him - the staff know him and understand his problems and will hopefully get the best out of him. I don't think I am going to relax till he gets back though!!!

Stella xx

Well, I confess, I started on the champagne at about 5.30 and then DH cooked steak and chips with a nice bottle of red :wine::wine:

Then got a call from OJ - his filling fell out on the coach and now they have stopped at a restaurant for dinner - there's nothing on the menu he can eat!!! Told him to look again and ask staff to order something simple - these are the sort of things he has got to learn to deal with, without Mum!!! - communicate with others about his sensory issues etc!!!

Here's hoping

Stella xx

Congratulations on finishing your thesis!

I hope your son enjoys his trip and manages to get himself something nice and plain to eat.

Well done! :thumbs::notworthy::clap:

And hope OJ enjoys his trip and successfully overcomes all the new challenges it brings.

K x

Well, I confess, I started on the champagne at about 5.30 and then DH cooked steak and chips with a nice bottle of red :wine::wine:

Then got a call from OJ - his filling fell out on the coach and now they have stopped at a restaurant for dinner - there's nothing on the menu he can eat!!! Told him to look again and ask staff to order something simple - these are the sort of things he has got to learn to deal with, without Mum!!! - communicate with others about his sensory issues etc!!!

Here's hoping

Stella xx

i love the "wine" smiley got me smiling. i would go for something soft. Well done for encouraging him to deal with stuff on his own.

Also good on you for your post grad cert in Aspergers. Hopefully this time next year i will have a BPhil in autism from the uni of brum! After 7 years i would have finally got my undergraduate degree. Then considering a masters. What do you plan to do next education wise for yourself?

I think it's really good that both of you are taking these risks, especially AJ. It can't be easy for him, being away from mum, putting up with strange food etc. Even a NT child would find it difficult.

Make the most of your well-earned rest.

Hi

Thanks guys - apparently all ok so far (apart from having to go to a beach - OJ doesn't like getting sand between his toes!!!).

Trekster, well done you. I must admit although I said I would not do any more academic study, I am now halfway towards a masters and if I could find something of interest I might pursue it. I wouldn't go back to distance learning through Sheffield Hallum as i feel they very much took my money and ran - very little support although I undrestand from others that this is quite normal for uni's. If anyone has any experience on that I would be grateful. What is Birmingham like to deal with?

Stella xx

I think it's really good that both of you are taking these risks, especially AJ. It can't be easy for him, being away from mum, putting up with strange food etc. Even a NT child would find it difficult.

Make the most of your well-earned rest.

In some ways i find being abroad easier than being home. French staff could think of it as "just being English" instead of "just being naughty" if he makes an error. i loved visiting tenerife mainly because i liked to order our food and ask for help in spanish :thumbs:

Hi

Thanks guys - apparently all ok so far (apart from having to go to a beach - OJ doesn't like getting sand between his toes!!!).

Trekster, well done you. I must admit although I said I would not do any more academic study, I am now halfway towards a masters and if I could find something of interest I might pursue it. I wouldn't go back to distance learning through Sheffield Hallum as i feel they very much took my money and ran - very little support although I understand from others that this is quite normal for uni's. If anyone has any experience on that I would be grateful. What is Birmingham like to deal with?

Stella xx

Computer ate my post, must be hungry today hehe.

Thanks for your support. i didn't use the web-ct at the university of Birmingham as it was overloading for me to try another new system. Im only just about used to bulletin boards and google email.

There is an MA in autism and if you were keenly interested in your dissertation subject (as i was) it is possible to expand on the issue.

Im currently reviewing the services for autistics in what was known as Avon.

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/working-wit...on-courses.aspx

It is hard to get my support needs met, on the 1st day of the residential weekend they ran (there were 2) i was taken to the disability officers room and told unless i signed a piece of paper that included 1 lesson totally unsupported i would get nothing. i felt the way they handled the situation was completely wrong.

However the support person (one of the best ive had since shes worked with deaf folk before). So it was difficult getting support needs met.

DSA was reasonable to be assessed in my area (went to bath). My tutor is excellent though.