Sign in to follow this  
Bloodheart

Problems with the job centre

I currently do not have an official diagnosis for Asperger's.

I've been unemployed for 2 1/2 years and the issues I have are causing problems - unable to use the telephone so unable to call recruitment agencies, not always able to talk to potential employers via telephone, problems in interviews, and while being unemployed I've found my social skills are worsening due to lack of socializing and meltdowns are becoming more frequent.

Despite telling the job centre time and time again about my problems with using a telephone they have continued to have me down for call centre work and have offered no support, they treat me just like any other job seeker. Last visit I mentioned to my new advisor that I was seeking a diagnosis for Asperger's...

...Tuesday the advisor informed me that part of the job seekers agreement was that I had to call agencies weekly (no one had informed me of this before) and so because I couldn't do this I wasn't following JSA so would be removed. She informed me that she didn't think I was mentally/emotionally capable of working so that I should go on Incapacity short-term until I am more emotionally stable and able to use a phone (because Asperger’s is magically cured by incapacity?) - she told me to apply I had to telephone DWP, when I pointed out I couldn't telephone them she told me I had no other choice (I've been told she was very much in the wrong for this) and rushed me out of the office. She also changed my job seekers agreement so that I'm expected to apply for check-out work as she said this was the only work I was capable of doing, and has now included that I have to hand-in CV's in person to potential employers - I don't even know anyone who will accept CV's in person, even if they did this is more difficult than using the phone to apply for work. Essentially next time I sign on they'll have the perfect reason to kick me off JSA.

It's not just the fear of being kicked off JSA, but they way she was talking to me, the fact that I may have Asperger's somehow means I'm incapable of working as anything other than a check-out girl or that I'm suddenly incapable of working at all, that they've changed my job seekers agreement to be more strict and particularly difficult for me - why has this happened after 2 1/2 years without any problems with them?

I had a meltdown during this appointment, I couldn't communicate with her or stand-up for myself, also I feel humiliated and emotionally raw. I obviously have issues that seriously limit me, but without that official diagnosis it's hard to demand certain support or rights.

I went to CAB today - they've told me they can do nothing until I'm kicked off JSA.

I'll be applying for ESA, but as I can work we're not sure if they will accept me - CAB are interested to see what happens, as if I can't get on ESA that means I have to be allowed on back on JSA. I've been advised to put something in writing to send to the job centre to explain the situation - any ideas on what I should write? I want to be able to make them change my job seekers agreement back so it's something I can follow - am I expecting too much to have reasonable adjustments made for me? Could I ask to see a disability advisor?

I want to make a complaint, but don't think it's a good idea to do this until everything has been sorted out, but I do feel very unhappy about the fact there has been no support offered and that all of a sudden they have a problem with me and seem to be trying to force me out of JSA. I'm mad, upset, confused, angry, scared, and generally unhappy about it and I don't like to just sit back and let them get away with treating me that way.

Anyone have experience of getting onto ESA?

Is this discrimination or just ignorance on their part?

Am I wrong for thinking they were being unfair and possibly discriminating?

Am I the one in the wrong and being too sensitive?

We have had issues with the JC. My son is now on ESA (the capable of work with support level). We found the actual medical OK, but he does have a diagnosis and I did send in lots of info. The actual processing of the claim was awful. We went the ESA route partly because they hassle you less to keep applying for jobs. They are taking ages to process ESA claims, so at least it might mean you are free from hassle for a few months.

The JC don't seem to be very flexible - you are either in one system or another.

I did find complaining to my MP has meant we get much better service now :-)

You could ask to see the Disability Employment Advisor, but I have not found them much help so far.

I have a diagnosis so the situation is different but my 'story':

I have a part-time job in a mainstream school (one and a half hours per day, at least part of which is spent supporting autistic children). I applied for ESA as I started this job, and was awarded it. I had the assessments, and because I do work I have been awarded 'limited capability for work'. I was also referred to Reed in Partnership, and my advisor is great. He accepts that there's a lot of things I can't do, doesn't hassle me to make any progress into full time work, but is very supportive of any progress I do make. I've been offered more hours (I think it will be four hours a day) supporting autistic children within the classroom in the morning as well as doing my usual lunchtime hour and a half) with a view to try full time work in the future if a position comes up and I think I am capable. Luckily, you get almost two years where if things don't work out you are fast-tracked back onto your benefits, which has offered me some security and thus made me less anxious about trying more hours. Although I do find the classrooms too noisy for a long period of time, I am willing to try (before the holidays I had half an hour in the packed lunch hall, followed by half an hour one-to-one with a beautiful autistic lad who most other staff members can't really handle (I like him a lot despite how difficult he can be and have a better natural understanding of autistic behaviours so we get on really well, I adore him, and it benefits me because we spend most of our time together in quieter areas away from other children being really noisy, which is far easier on my hypersensitive senses!).

Perhaps you could ask the Jobcentre to refer you to Reed to get some proper support with regards to employment. I'm not sure if you'll struggle to get ESA without a diagnosis it not, but they might take 'symptoms' into account rather than requiring an actual diagnosis (even with a diagnosis you are expected to go into as much detail as possible about how it affects you, anyway, so it might be similar; if you are actually trying to get diagnosed and have made steps to be assessed then you can mention this on the forms, as well, so that they are aware that you may be found to have Asperger's in the future, but you still might need a doctor's note to back this up - until you are properly assessed I think you'll need doctor's notes to cover you anyway, as I'm sure that's what I had to do until I was assessed, then they said they didn't need them anymore).

Although they might be advising you to apply for shop jobs, and although they might only be informing you of those kinds of jobs, you can apply for whatever you want to and it should still count towards your 'homework' for receiving JSA.

I'm not sure you can argue that they are discriminating, because I think that they have the same attitude towards everyone. They aren't particularly bothered about getting you a job you'd love or a job suitable, it's more about getting you (and everyone else) off JSA and into some kind of work. Lots of people have jobs that they hate, and if you're not diagnosed with a disability they have no real incentive to try anything new with you (also, with JSA, they're not really capable of dealing with specific disabilities and that's why there are other agencies who are there to support people who need extra support). I've been in the Reed offices before (where I'm taken very seriously and treated nicely and have been offered lots of help but also told I can refuse anything I don't want (i.e. if I don't want to do a course to help me at my current job, I don't actually have to, because they recognise it might be difficult to get someone to attend with me, etc., and they appreciate that I want to do these things and at least try them, even if I might not manage it), and had people sitting there complaining about things like a 'bad back' and 'psychosis', and when they're asked if they've seen a doctor the answer is no, and if they're asked if they are having any therapy or taking medication, they're told that no they aren't and no they don't want to. I honestly think these people are more willing to help those that help themselves.

ETA: My mum works where I work, they are aware that I am autistic and that I need extra support, and if I am struggling with anything my mum sorts it out for me (although I did have a bit of a breakdown earlier this year before things got sorted out). I enjoy my job because I prefer talking to children and being with children than adults, and mostly I don't have to mix with my colleagues. The hours suit me because I do find the work tiring, although as mentioned I'd like to at least try to do more. So, if I did lose this job for whatever reason, I might then not be able to work elsewhere, or I would need more support (without being able to rely on my mum), or, as I have problems living at home, if I moved away I might be too far away from anywhere to be able to get another suitable job (and I do struggle with lots of other environments, i.e. shops, anywhere that I am in close proximity to colleages, etc. - when I first started my job I volunteered for the whole day twice a week and spent each break time hiding in the toilets). My job is also so close to my house and on such a familiar route that it's one of the few places I can walk to by myself. So I am extremely lucky!

Edited by Boy

I have a diagnosis so the situation is different but my 'story':

I have a part-time job in a mainstream school (one and a half hours per day, at least part of which is spent supporting autistic children). I applied for ESA as I started this job, and was awarded it. I had the assessments, and because I do work I have been awarded 'limited capability for work'. I was also referred to Reed in Partnership, and my advisor is great. He accepts that there's a lot of things I can't do, doesn't hassle me to make any progress into full time work, but is very supportive of any progress I do make. I've been offered more hours (I think it will be four hours a day) supporting autistic children within the classroom in the morning as well as doing my usual lunchtime hour and a half) with a view to try full time work in the future if a position comes up and I think I am capable. Luckily, you get almost two years where if things don't work out you are fast-tracked back onto your benefits, which has offered me some security and thus made me less anxious about trying more hours. Although I do find the classrooms too noisy for a long period of time, I am willing to try (before the holidays I had half an hour in the packed lunch hall, followed by half an hour one-to-one with a beautiful autistic lad who most other staff members can't really handle (I like him a lot despite how difficult he can be and have a better natural understanding of autistic behaviours so we get on really well, I adore him, and it benefits me because we spend most of our time together in quieter areas away from other children being really noisy, which is far easier on my hypersensitive senses!).

Perhaps you could ask the Jobcentre to refer you to Reed to get some proper support with regards to employment. I'm not sure if you'll struggle to get ESA without a diagnosis it not, but they might take 'symptoms' into account rather than requiring an actual diagnosis (even with a diagnosis you are expected to go into as much detail as possible about how it affects you, anyway, so it might be similar; if you are actually trying to get diagnosed and have made steps to be assessed then you can mention this on the forms, as well, so that they are aware that you may be found to have Asperger's in the future, but you still might need a doctor's note to back this up - until you are properly assessed I think you'll need doctor's notes to cover you anyway, as I'm sure that's what I had to do until I was assessed, then they said they didn't need them anymore).

Although they might be advising you to apply for shop jobs, and although they might only be informing you of those kinds of jobs, you can apply for whatever you want to and it should still count towards your 'homework' for receiving JSA.

I'm not sure you can argue that they are discriminating, because I think that they have the same attitude towards everyone. They aren't particularly bothered about getting you a job you'd love or a job suitable, it's more about getting you (and everyone else) off JSA and into some kind of work. Lots of people have jobs that they hate, and if you're not diagnosed with a disability they have no real incentive to try anything new with you (also, with JSA, they're not really capable of dealing with specific disabilities and that's why there are other agencies who are there to support people who need extra support). I've been in the Reed offices before (where I'm taken very seriously and treated nicely and have been offered lots of help but also told I can refuse anything I don't want (i.e. if I don't want to do a course to help me at my current job, I don't actually have to, because they recognise it might be difficult to get someone to attend with me, etc., and they appreciate that I want to do these things and at least try them, even if I might not manage it), and had people sitting there complaining about things like a 'bad back' and 'psychosis', and when they're asked if they've seen a doctor the answer is no, and if they're asked if they are having any therapy or taking medication, they're told that no they aren't and no they don't want to. I honestly think these people are more willing to help those that help themselves.

ETA: My mum works where I work, they are aware that I am autistic and that I need extra support, and if I am struggling with anything my mum sorts it out for me (although I did have a bit of a breakdown earlier this year before things got sorted out). I enjoy my job because I prefer talking to children and being with children than adults, and mostly I don't have to mix with my colleagues. The hours suit me because I do find the work tiring, although as mentioned I'd like to at least try to do more. So, if I did lose this job for whatever reason, I might then not be able to work elsewhere, or I would need more support (without being able to rely on my mum), or, as I have problems living at home, if I moved away I might be too far away from anywhere to be able to get another suitable job (and I do struggle with lots of other environments, i.e. shops, anywhere that I am in close proximity to colleages, etc. - when I first started my job I volunteered for the whole day twice a week and spent each break time hiding in the toilets). My job is also so close to my house and on such a familiar route that it's one of the few places I can walk to by myself. So I am extremely lucky!

Boy, i found this very interesting to read. Ima mother to a 15 year old son who really wants to work when he finishes school. It great to read your story and im very happy for you. Good for you trying more hours i really hope it works out. My son will find working hard as he hates noise and crowds of people. However he loves swimming and wants to teach but my fear is he will find a paid job hard to come by. But reading your post has helped me to relise that there are people out there that want to help others in getting a job and keeping it. I really hope there is help for my son when his turn is here. Good luck in september, your mum must be very proud of you.

Bloodheart, don't blame yourself - it certainly isn't your fault. I've been dealing with those Job Centre staff for years, and most of them are useless. They're not interested in helping the clients, they just see themselves as clerks. And a lot of them look down their noses at unemployed people, though that partly depends on where you live: in areas of high unemployment they tend to be more sympathetic.

You should certainly ask for a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA), if you haven't done so already. Some of them are better than others, but it's better than nothing - at least it means the Job Centre will have you classified as disabled and needing help with finding work, though you'll have to carry on applying for jobs as usual.

People with autism are in a difficult situation with the benefit system. Autism is neither a physical disability nor a mental illness, so we don't fit into any category in their bureaucracy. And the ESA criteria doesn't seem to allow for it at all.

If you find it difficult to use the phone, then obviously you wouldn't be able to work in a call centre. How do you feel about working on a checkout? Don't let them pressure you into applying for jobs you don't think you could do.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but that's the harsh reality of being unemployed. I hope you can find suitable work, or get either of the two kinds of ESA.

What experiences have other people on this forum had with the Job Centre? Are you considered available for work? Do you see yourself as being available for work? What about Prospects, run by the NAS - has anyone ever used that?

Boy, i found this very interesting to read. Ima mother to a 15 year old son who really wants to work when he finishes school. It great to read your story and im very happy for you. Good for you trying more hours i really hope it works out. My son will find working hard as he hates noise and crowds of people. However he loves swimming and wants to teach but my fear is he will find a paid job hard to come by. But reading your post has helped me to relise that there are people out there that want to help others in getting a job and keeping it. I really hope there is help for my son when his turn is here. Good luck in september, your mum must be very proud of you.

Thank you!

I hope your son can access some help, too.

I hate to sound like an advert for the NAS, but contact Prospects, who are a part of them. They specialize in advocating for people on the spectrum, helping them get jobs, getting through interviews - basically all the help you need! They will help you get funding (which pays them).

They are really friendly, and they understand what people like us go though. They may even be able to help you with what is happening with the jsa - you clearly need someone like them on your side

Hope things work out for you. jx