Sign in to follow this  
Candyfloss

Do Aspies laugh as much as NT person?

hi candyfloss

my 7 yr old asd son, laughs so much it is great, he also likes to make me and his dad laugh as well, sometimes he puts it on as well we can tell when it is real and fake, but i dont realy care because i just love hearing him so happy, well i am apparently nt and he laughs alot more than me.

nt is abbrev for normal, if that is what you ment,

lov xx

NT stands for Neurotypical. It means a person who doesn't have a neurological "difference" like autism, ADHD, or something like that. So yes, it means someone who is normal . . . whatever that might mean!

I think that aspies laugh just as much as NTs. We might not get jokes all the time, but we can laugh when we do find things funny just as much as NTs.

My son is ASD and I think he laughs more :D He seems to find humour in things that we just don't see, but it's infectious and we usually end up giggling along with him :)

Lynne

My son is ASD and I think he laughs more :D He seems to find humour in things that we just don't see, but it's infectious and we usually end up giggling along with him :)

Lynne

Same here with my son!!

A lot of adults with AS outwardly appear miserable because they were bullied whilst younger for having an inappropriate or immature sense of humour.

A lot of adults with AS outwardly appear miserable because they were bullied whilst younger for having an inappropriate or immature sense of humour.

I'm 37 and still have an inappropriate and immature sense of humour! I can sit in a group and they can be in hysterics at somebodys story and I just don't get it, I don't think I can visualise the scenario or something but I'll sit and laugh at the old tiger shark farting in the killer whales face in the kids film shark tale (that I've seen like a million times!)

I'm 37 and still have an inappropriate and immature sense of humour! I can sit in a group and they can be in hysterics at somebodys story and I just don't get it, I don't think I can visualise the scenario or something but I'll sit and laugh at the old tiger shark farting in the killer whales face in the kids film shark tale (that I've seen like a million times!)

I'm 45 and laughing at that now! :thumbs:

I'm 45 and laughing at that now! :thumbs:

It is funny though :D. OH wonders why the kids have gone sleep and I'm still watching it and trying to look round him if he stands in front of the telly!

It's like you're describing me :P (I'm 37). My AS daughter is nearly 10 and laughs all the time. Sometimes she laughs at jokes others don't think are funny but that's true of all humour anyway - what's funny to one person is not to another. Other times she tells some fantastic jokes. We've just been camping for the weekend with loads of people from church and one evening Beth sat with the teenagers. After a few minutes of me easing her into the group conversation I backed off and they began sharing jokes. Beth was fully engaged in the group, taking her turn at speaking and telling loads of jokes, each one relevant to the theme others had brought up. She'd read a joke book a while back and we'd talked through some of them explaining why some people think each one is funny which meant she understood the jokes she was sharing. It was a magical evening and brought a tear to my eye listening to her :D.

This idea that autistic people have no sense of humour is just part of that stereotype image created by NTs. People sometimes tell me I have no sense of humour, but anyone who knows me properly knows that is not true. Autistic people think along different lines to NT people, so it's inevitable that we will have a different kind of sense of humour.

This idea that autistic people have no sense of humour is just part of that stereotype image created by NTs. People sometimes tell me I have no sense of humour, but anyone who knows me properly knows that is not true. Autistic people think along different lines to NT people, so it's inevitable that we will have a different kind of sense of humour.

I'm starting to feel more normal coming here! :D