Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Hand movements

When politicians etc. speak in front of TV cameras they usually move their hands in certain ways according to what they are talking about. Does anybody have any good information about these hand movements? I believe that they are also used in job interviews or other situations as a means of reinforcing the speaker's message, and failure to implement the right hand movements could be viewed as a sign of lack of sincerity or confidence.

They are known as gestures and are a form of non verbally conveying feelings to the listener or speaker.

Eg if they lean towards the speaker that means they are keenly interested in the speakers comments.

If they are pointing in the air they are usually trying to emphasise that their "verbal point" is important.

They are in most instances spontaneous and not something that the speaker consciously thinks about. I see little point in trying to learn or remember what gestures to make with a given statement, especially in an interview situation were you are going to be speaking spontaneously. It would just look all wrong.

If you look, different speakers use gestures to a greater or lesser extent and so not at all. I would say that in a job interview situation it is more important to be yourself and hopefully be sincere in your responses.

There are hand movements that cross cultural (or even species) barriers, such as the extension of a hand in friendship, or a raised fist indicating a threat.

Other hand movements have symbolic meaning within cultures.

Some politicians are coached as to how they use their hands, so they don't irritate people, distract from what they are saying, or look aggressive or defensive.

There are a lot of books about body/hand language but they vary considerably in quality. If you're interested, go for one written by a bona fide researcher.

If in doubt, be honest and keep your hands still.

cb

I think most politicians sound insincere no matter what they do with their hands! I also read Tony Blair was coached not to use pointing gestures and that's why you see him talking with his thumb and fore finger almost welded together. David Cameron has copied this this if you look out for it.

I think generally, sincerity comes from your voice and good eye contact while remaining as relaxed as possible.

I think it's useful to know what different hand gestures and other body language are generally perceived to mean, otherwise you might give misleading signals. Most body language is done unconsciously, but as has been said, it is possible to learn to make or not make certain hand movements etc. Some people find this easier than others. The same goes with the tone of voice in which you say things - the wrong tone can portray the wrong message, and might well make a difference to whether or not you get through a job interview. Politicians are trained to present themselves in certain ways, in the same way as actors are.

I also read Tony Blair was coached not to use pointing gestures and that's why you see him talking with his thumb and fore finger almost welded together. David Cameron has copied this this if you look out for it.

I have noticed this and wondered whether David Cameron has deliberately copied Blair as part of a let failure copy success strategy.