Sign in to follow this  
sel

school

Hi everybods.

I am feeling a bit down at the mo. I am totaly confused on what to do for the best.

I received my son's draft educational statement just before half term. While at the Annual review it was agreed that K needs more 1-2-1 support. Also things needed changing as k's diagnoses had changed since the last AR, He now has an additional dx of AS on top of all his other problems!(The AR took place in the begining march and we only got our draft statement through just before half term so they really dragged that out which added to the problems) :tearful::crying:

Anyway when the draft statement appears, He still has the same amount of 1-2-1 as before and very little had changed at all, there is really no provision for his AS. So i wrote to the LEA stating that i was not happy and explained the 1-2-1 given was not enough. I was told that the first tuesday after half term the case would be taken to panel. Then on wed i went into school to speak to the head teacher she agreed that the provision given is not really enough. She told me she would phone the LEA to find the result of the panel and then call me to let me know. :unsure:

I heard nothing by 4pm so i called the LEA myself to be told that no, we would not be getting any more provision, I really was dumb-struck!. I did'nt really know what to say, i was gutted!. They have said that it will be re-viewed in the autum term. :blink::unsure:

Around an hour later the HT phones to inform me of the outcome. She really spoke in riddles nothing made alot of sence, one minute she was telling me that k had improved and she wanted to call a meeting to 'show' me of this, Then she asked if i'd thought of 'Special' school for him next year ( eventhough he has another year left at juniors before going up to secondary). Then she said that she wanted to meet up and talk about what options were open to us, and am i prepared to appeal. She did agree that the 1-2-1 was not enough but he had improved. I told her yes maybe but he nearly is in secondary school and he is still at infant year 1 stage and can't read!!!. :crying:

So i'm now really confused!. I have a meeting at the school next monday before school with the HT, Senco and k's special needs teacher to go over our options and make up a plan of action. :wacko:

I don't know what the head ment by the special school thing?. Is he better off if i did look into it?. I have spent ages fretting over this and its making me ill. I am so upset.

I am angry that this is all being dragged out, messing up his education further. Not only that if they are going to re-view in the autum is it worth appealing anyway!?. As i've been told that appeal can take up to six months!?, :o

I have only received a letter from the LEA stating that the extra hours requested have not been granted. I am still waiting for them to finalise it so i can push on with it.

I feel like i'm constantly :wallbash::wallbash::angry::tearful: all at once sometimes!.

Sorry to go on but, i am just so confused!. :crying:

Thanx

Sel, :tearful:

Hi Sel, just going out will be back later hang in there honey, I'm sure that there are many wise ones here who can help ...

I'l catch up with you later

HHxx

Hi Sel..so sorry. We had a similar position last year initially 5hrs LSA, we said we,d go to appeal and the LEA came back with 10 hrs plus 3 for literacy.My son like yours has a reading + spelling age of 6 yrs.He had dx of AS dyslexia and dyspraxia.It,s hard to know what the best thing to do is but I,d get on the phone to the LEA and insist the proposed statement is sent ASAP.It,ll drag on and on and it,s only 7 weeks till summer hols.(a fact not lost on the LEA I bet).I,ve not been much help but I,m sure some one more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Hi again,

I am really wondering why i bother sending K to school at all!.

Another really pooey day. His home/school book is horrible again today. yesterday apparently he hid at lunch-time and did not go into the hall for his lunch. No one realised and he had nothing to eat at school at all yesterday. After questioning his teacher she said, It is not our custom or practise to register every child for dinners on a daily basis, as this would be too time consuming. K purposely hid at dinner-time yesterday with a view not to be found. WHAT??.

Today was poo too!, today's report was: K was not very well behaved today, he was reluctant to listen and again made noises with his mouth and by banging things on the table. This afternoon k was caught climbing up the green container in the playground, after being told numerous times to get down. He still wouldn't listen and kept tyring to get on top of it. K knows he is not allowed on the container!. Can you tell him that he is'nt to climb on it and mustn't keep making noises in class. k apparently said he was silly today because he didn't have his tablet early enough, so it wasn't working. Can you ensure he has his tablet every morning!?. :o

When will she understand!, He has ADHD and AS!!!!!. ( also tells fibs!! )

his tablet too late!. He has it every morning at 8:30!. After breakfast and it takes 15mins to start working, so thats not a reason!,

I could scream!!!. :tearful:

:fight::wallbash::angry::tearful::unsure::fight:

:oops: Sorry about the huge rant and the length of this post guy's!!

Hi Sel,

I don't really know what to say. I'm gobsmacked at what this teacher has written. Clearly she has no understanding of ADHD/AS.

I really feel for you as i went through very similar with Kai. Reading your post, it could have easily been written about Kai. It brought back so many memories for me of when he was at school (he's been out for 15 months).

I'm so sorry, you must be feeling terrible. Just wanted to send you some >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

loulou x

Sel,

I hope that you are photocopying the written comments which certain members of staff have made in your son's home/school book. I cannot stress enough how important it is to photocopy these comments as home/school books do tend to go missing... this is valuable information which you could refer to at a later date.

Hi all,

Another update!. :o

A lady from the PP came out to see me today and showed me a lot i was not aware of!. I have IEP's without the outcomes!. Which apparently i should have!, lots of other things that i will bring up at the meeting on monday. :wacko:

I have written to the LEA requesting a re-assesment, I received an email earlier from them stating that they will put it to panel next week, so i'll try again!.

Fingers crossed!. Hopefully we might get more hours yet!!?. :pray:

Sel.

Hi Sel ,so sorry it,s been a crappy week....good luck for the meeting on monday hope it goes well.Let us know what happens.

looks like the lea are trying to wear you down

one of the things that you really need in the statement is acknowledgement of your son's autism - something like access to someone with knowledge and training in ASDs to ensure appropriate strategies etc are in place, or if you can get it some actual hours of ASD specific support

talk to ipsea - they are very useful for checking the sort of things that should be in a statement

or the NAS

stay strong

Zemanski