jonathan

How do I get more T/A time and a laptop for my son with Aspergers

My son is 11 yrs old with aspergers syndrome he has limited concentration skills and his handwriting is hardly ledgeable he is sitting his SATS in May and I keep banging my head trying to get him more help,he has CLASP funding but only gets around 5-10 hrs per week help the Alphasmart the local authority have provided to the school the printer isnt working I tried PEA money but they wont support him and Home Access you have to be on less than 16000 pound a year to get a laptop for SEN children and we are just over my son is well below average in his last sats he gets very stressed and then comes home angry last year he was put on SSRI's to help him with severe OCD and depression but we still cant get any help I'm hoping someone out that can tell me anywhere I can contact to get help the SENCO at school agrees with me but everything she applies for him they turn her down...HELP PLEASE !!

My son is 11 yrs old with aspergers syndrome he has limited concentration skills and his handwriting is hardly ledgeable he is sitting his SATS in May and I keep banging my head trying to get him more help,he has CLASP funding but only gets around 5-10 hrs per week help the Alphasmart the local authority have provided to the school the printer isnt working I tried PEA money but they wont support him and Home Access you have to be on less than 16000 pound a year to get a laptop for SEN children and we are just over my son is well below average in his last sats he gets very stressed and then comes home angry last year he was put on SSRI's to help him with severe OCD and depression but we still cant get any help I'm hoping someone out that can tell me anywhere I can contact to get help the SENCO at school agrees with me but everything she applies for him they turn her down...HELP PLEASE !!

What level of SEN provision is your son on Eg School Action or Action Plus ?

Ben has access to a laptop detailed in a Statement so school have to fund it from his provision.However he used an alphasmart in primary school.

In order to use it for SATS the school would need to apply for permission in plenty of time.They can also ask for a scribe or extra time.

Ben used an alphasmart from year 3-6 because he could hardly write at all.Now he does handwriting for most of his work but we expect him to need to use a lap top again once he is working for GCSES.He can type at 70 words per min and loves creative writing now he can type.

Karen.

Our son had a scribe and extra time for yr 6 SATS.

He had a statement giving him 1:1 support for about 12 hours a week, and the school had to apply somewhere beforehand and prove he had been getting support at school for at least a year prior to the SATS.

DD1 (now 14 AS/ADHD) had hardly written a sentence by the age of 11 and hated Alphasmart as you can only see a few lines of writing- however an OT devised her a hand training/hand writing programme and her writing improved dramatically and she now hand writes exams etc

Apparently she was preeeing far to hard whick made writing very tiring for her

for my son the ed psy had to come and do some tests with him. such as writting how many words per min, were they readable,and all the other tests they do each time they visted. my son then got given a laptop for his own use along with software to help him. Only problem now is its 18 months later and its not working hasnt from last may, the LA will not let me fix it and they are dragging there heals as to when they will fix it. he is in yr 11 so im very worried but he has his annual review next week so fingers crossed.

for my son the ed psy had to come and do some tests with him. such as writting how many words per min, were they readable,and all the other tests they do each time they visted. my son then got given a laptop for his own use along with software to help him. Only problem now is its 18 months later and its not working hasnt from last may, the LA will not let me fix it and they are dragging there heals as to when they will fix it. he is in yr 11 so im very worried but he has his annual review next week so fingers crossed.

Hi.

Just a suggestion.

You could push at the AR to have a laptop included in the Statement as provision.Then if you get it included the LA and school can argue over who pays .It may also be useful to have clear documentation anyway if your son will be doing any exams in the summer. :)

Karen.