LisaKaz75

What to expect at preschool age

My son is 3, and has not had a formal diagnosis as yet. He has had the Bayleys score assessment which puts him at low average and low fine motor skills, and we hope to have his ADOS before or just after Christmas

At the moment he attends 2 mornings at preschool, and this will increase to his funded 15 hours a week from January.

We are very new to all of this and things seem to be happening in a bit or a whirl for us. We seem to have a preschool manager who is very on the ball, (who is also the SENCO) who has completed his first IEP and we get support from a childrens centre too; who last week with the nursery carried out a Action for Inclusion plan. In short the nursery are happy to have Leo, but he needs some one to one at key times and this leaves them short at some occasions. So we are applying for some funding to get him a key worker. Am happy with this as the main thing with Leo is social interaction and integration. We have seen improvement in this in the last 7 weeks and think this could improve. Also he has no recognition of danger and outside play is an issue and he is always on his toes, not looking where he is going, and on climbing equipment he has no comprehension of falling.

My question is should we be doing more. In our area Cheshire they do not carry out statements so not aware of any thing else we can do

It all seems such a lot for a little boy that has just turned 3! But everyone insists that he has 2 years at preschool and its important to do as much as possible ready for his progression to primary school (in whatever format that may be)

Any advice or thoughts to 2 parent who are having to be fast learning, would be very gratefully received

LisaKaz

Hi LisaKaz and Welcome to the Forum.

There are some differences in the Statementing process for children who are not of Statutary School age.

However unless things have changed in the last few days Cheshire should not have a blanker policy on not carrying out Statutary Assessments or the none issue of Statements.

There is sound evidence that early intervention for children with Social Communication Difficulties /ASD can lead to significantly better progress.So it is good that an ADOS is in the pipeline.

Please do accept whatever support is being offered it sounds like everyone is being very supportive.It is unheard of nowadays for provision to be offered when it is not likely to be needed.It may turn out that your sons needs less support later on.However it is far easier to reduce provision than it is to obtain it.

I found lots of information for a couple of parents on the Forum with a child about the same age as your son a while ago.

If I can find the thread I will post a link as it might be useful. :)

Karen.

Hello and welcome to the mad SEN roundabout!!

But joking aside, you need to find out what the "legal" process is for Special Educational Needs. You can find that via forums like this. The National Autistic Society and www.IPSEA.org.uk

Unfortunately LEAs have many ways of getting out of having to fund SEN provision. And one of them you've just mentioned. It is illegal for an LEA to "not do Statements". They can and do say that, and that puts off alot of parents. But if you asked for an assessment towards a Statement and the LEA refused, you then have the right to appeal. And that appeal will look at whether your child needs a Statement or not. If he needs one, he will get one regardless of what any LEAs individual policies are.

It sounds like you are getting provision and support now. But the difference with a Statement is that what it contains is legally binding on the LEA. So they have to provide it. Any other provision can be reduced or stopped due to staffing issues etc. With a Statement they would have to replace that professional asap so that the input was consistent. A Statement also has to identify EVERY NEED in section 2 and detail how that need will be met in the educational environment in section 3. And what section 3 contains has to be provided. Sections 2 and 3 add up to give you a good idea of the kind of placement needed in section 4.

From my own experience, my son entered a mainstream primary school and did not cope. It took years to get his diagnosis, and then a Statement. He is now 9 and only now is the right level of provision starting to fall into place. And we started the process at 4.5 years! Everyone will tell you that it takes years to get things done because the process itself is slow and works on a "graduated approach". So at each increase, you need to wait at least 6 months to a year to "see what improvement there is" before additional support or therapy is introduced. But with a Statement, at the assessment stage, all the professionals have to observe and carry out assessments and detail what the child needs to make progress NOW, and it should also consider "his likely needs for the future". That can save you years of waiting in the 'graduated approach' system.

For my son, entering the mainstream school meant that he did not get the level of support he needed. He is now in a mainstream school that our LEA also calls "enhanced resource for children with speech and communication difficulties". This means there is a higher proportion of pupils mainstream with an ASD, and that the school has more experience and funding to meet those needs. This school also has a separate autism unit for children that need that environment.

The difficulty we had was that when it became apparent that mainstream was not working, there were no "enhanced resource" places available for him to move into because those had all been taken. Such places are limited. We had to go to tribunal to get an "enhanced resource" place at this school itemised in his Statement.

So my advice would be to start looking NOW at the school placement he will need. How are those placements decided within your LEA if they do not do Statements. Our LEA only allows parents to even request such a placement if they have a Statement and then there is no guarantee that there will be such a place.

If he is having difficulties now, those will remain and the gap in skills tends to widen as their peers develop skills that they do not have, or which are weak. So don't think he is going to learn and catch up with his peers and enter primary on the same level as his peers. That will not happen. If he gets a diagnosis those difficulties are for life. That does not mean he will not make improvements because he will and some areas will be within 'average'. But there will remain difficulties with language, social interaction, a need for structure and routine and there maybe associated learning difficulties too. And although he will make progress, he will not improve significantly in all areas because that would mean he would lose his diagnosis.

I would speak with IPSEA about how to request an assessment towards a Statement. I would get the actual assessment for the diagnosis done, and if it looks like he is on the spectrum then start the assessment process. It takes 26 weeks in total if everything goes to plan. If you have to appeal then add on another 6 months. That means that if you started today you would not have a the finalised Statement for a further year. By that time he would be 4, and you would need to know his school placement by then and have been offered a place at the school of your choice.

Download a copy of the SEN Code of Practice from this website (see the top of the page for SEN publications). And ask any further questions you need to.

Hi again.

I have looked for the post I previously mentioned.However it is too old and most of the links to external sites no longer work.

However as Sally has said the Code Of Practice on SEN is a good place to start as it is the Statutary Legal Framwork for SEN.

http://publications.education.gov.uk/eOrderingDownload/DfES%200581%20200MIG2228.pdf

Section 4 contains most of the relevant information regarding children of pre-school age.

The guidance regarding what exactly has to be provided does vary depending on the age of the child for children age 2-4.So it may well be worth checking yourself depending on exactly when your child's DOB is.

NAS also have a very good web site.

NAS ,IPSEA and ACE are all charities which provide individual telephone advice to parents.

Parent Partnership for your area may also be able to offer advice on what is available in your area although some are less indepenent from LA than others.

Statutary Assessment is a lengthy process as Sally says.

My son had a Statutary Assessment done at the same time as the ADOS and other diagnostic assessments so it can be done.If the ADOS is coming up soon and your LA provides good post-diagnostic support you could wait until these take place.Especially if the SENCO is already gathering evidence in the form of IEPs.

If your son has not been in pre-school long and they do not have enough evidence yet then the Statutary Assessment might be declined.You could appeal or ask again after six months..however it might be better to delay until the ADOS is done and the pre-school have more evidence and hope the request is accepted first time.It is a difficult choice. :unsure::unsure:

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

If he is having difficulties now, those will remain and the gap in skills tends to widen as their peers develop skills that they do not have, or which are weak. So don't think he is going to learn and catch up with his peers and enter primary on the same level as his peers. That will not happen. If he gets a diagnosis those difficulties are for life. That does not mean he will not make improvements because he will and some areas will be within 'average'. But there will remain difficulties with language, social interaction, a need for structure and routine and there maybe associated learning difficulties too. And although he will make progress, he will not improve significantly in all areas because that would mean he would lose his diagnosis.

Sally, I'm not sure I agree with the above, it sounds rather pessimistic. :( You can't lose a diagnosis; ASD is lifelong and the only way you could lose a diagnosis would be if the diagnosis was incorrect in the first place. The difficulties may remain, but that does not mean they have to be a hindrance to learning; they only become so if they are allowed and expected to be so.

Sally, I'm not sure I agree with the above, it sounds rather pessimistic. :( You can't lose a diagnosis; ASD is lifelong and the only way you could lose a diagnosis would be if the diagnosis was incorrect in the first place. The difficulties may remain, but that does not mean they have to be a hindrance to learning; they only become so if they are allowed and expected to be so.

I agree that the outlook Sally gives does sound a bit bleak and does not apply in all cases.

Ben was not even picked up as having any difficulties until he was seven.He had no early intervention at all.He was only diagnosed with AS just over a year ago.He is 12.He had a dreadful time at times in primary school.

However he now attends a mainstream secondary school where there are some excellent staff.He will always have an AS diagnosis but there is no reason why he could not go to University.He does not have difficulties with learning other than those associated with AS and dyspraxia.Although some things are difficult at school he is gifted and talented in some areas.He is average in absolutely no area at all....not average IQ,not average ASD [if there is such a thing] ,not average personality and certainly not average ability. :D

thanks for all that information and so quickly too!!

Not sure about the statement thing, was told that East Cheshire not doing them, as it was costing a lot legally, but I think they do something in its place?

Leo only been in preschool setting for 7 weeks, but we have suspected and ASC for some time and was already in the system. We are not expecting a problem getting the funding for a key worker, just may be later then Jan due to the slow process of collating medical reports

I am at the childrens centre tomorrow where he has weekly assessment, so will ask again about the statement

thanks again

LisaKaz

Sorry to disagree mumble, but Michele Zappella in Mary Coleman's book 'The Neurology of Austism' has a chapter about reversible autistic behaviour in autism. Whether or not autistic behaviour is reversible will depend on the cause of the autistic characteristics. One reason clinicians are often reluctant to diagnose young children is because quite a few children appear to have autistic characteristics when young and lose them as they develop. Whether the diagnosis was incorrect in the first place depends on how you define a 'correct' diagnosis.

cb

Edited by coolblue

Sorry to disagree mumble, but Michele Zappella in Mary Coleman's book 'The Neurology of Austism' has a chapter about reversible autistic behaviour in autism. Whether or not autistic behaviour is reversible will depend on the cause of the autistic characteristics. One reason clinicians are often reluctant to diagnose young children is because quite a few children appear to have autistic characteristics when young and lose them as they develop. Whether the diagnosis was incorrect in the first place depends on how you define a 'correct' diagnosis.

Why are you sorry? :unsure: I think we are actually saying something similar in different ways anyway - you're talking about the appearance of autistic characteristics which doesn't necessarily imply Autism.

Why are you sorry? :unsure:

Don't like disagreeing with anyone. :(

I think we are actually saying something similar in different ways anyway - you're talking about the appearance of autistic characteristics which doesn't necessarily imply Autism.

Depends what you mean by Autism. There are a number of known chromosomal/genetic disorders that have autism as one of their outcomes. There are probably unknown chromosomal/genetic disorders that also have autism as one of their outcomes. In all of these cases autism is probably lifelong.

It is quite possible that autism could also be caused by physiological abnormalities that can rectify themselves. We tend to hear of cases where a child has had a diagnosis later and the parents say "If only we'd known earlier: it's so obvious, looking back." We tend not to hear about cases where the child has gone through an autistic phase and grown out of it, because the parent and the doctor, if involved, have seen it as a developmental phase and not autism.

cb

I'm not being pessimistic.

I did say that improvements will happen and that in some children that will mean in some areas they are within average or even above average. However the core difficulties will be lifelong and those difficulties will not disappear.

I know it isn't unheard of for a child to lose a diagnosis. But it is rare in comparison to the number of children diagnosed. And to withhold a diagnosis on the grounds that they 'may grow out of it' goes against all the evidence that the earlier the input the better the prognosis.

As parents we are forced to learn to be patient because of how the system is and because we do have to wait for our children to begin to show some skills before you can even begin to consider working on them.

And again in another post, I think many of us saw the Autism Exemplar and the timescales on it, and they do not bear any relation to my experience, or indeed anyone else I know.

And as has been covered in other topics, what is more important academic or social skills?? The answer is both. If a child gets a degree and then cannot get or keep any job due to language, social or social communication difficulties associated with their diagnosis that is a shameful.

And alot depends on the diagnosis. If it is Aspergers then the probability of more typical academic achievement is greater. If it is ASD or ASC, then you have the increased language difficulty which is a known co-factor with learning difficulties whether they are general global ones or specific ones such as dyslexia.

What I wanted to get across is the time it takes to get anything happening.

And also that your LEA will not necessarily be telling you the whole truth regarding what your child can or cannot have regarding special educational needs provision. You need to ask outside organisations because your LEA has no incentive to detail all his needs because it means they would have to meet those needs.

When my son was 3 and his nursery teacher raised concerns I was told by the GP to "wait until he starts school. If they have any concerns they will deal with them then." That GP's decision meant that my son missed out on any early intervention programmes. We were called into school 6 months after he had started, and it took until he was 6 to get a diagnosis. And getting him into school was one of the worst experiences of my life because I could see that he was not coping and was extremely distressed every day, but by law I had to take him in.

Every child with an SEN should have their needs clearly identified with a programme in place to meet them before they begin school.

This link is to the Autism Exemplar. It is guidance, not law. It follows the process from when a child is first red flagged and how they should be dealt with by each professional.

It will be useful in checking the timescales. I have not met anyone whose process through the system bore any resemblance to these timescales. But it is a government document, and so is worth having and waving under some noses if needed.

Also make sure you have a copy of the SEN Code of Practice.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4090571.pdf

Don't like disagreeing with anyone. :(

Depends what you mean by Autism. There are a number of known chromosomal/genetic disorders that have autism as one of their outcomes. There are probably unknown chromosomal/genetic disorders that also have autism as one of their outcomes. In all of these cases autism is probably lifelong.

It is quite possible that autism could also be caused by physiological abnormalities that can rectify themselves. We tend to hear of cases where a child has had a diagnosis later and the parents say "If only we'd known earlier: it's so obvious, looking back." We tend not to hear about cases where the child has gone through an autistic phase and grown out of it, because the parent and the doctor, if involved, have seen it as a developmental phase and not autism.

cb

I completely understand what you are saying.

I also am at risk of taking the thread off topic. :oops:

However there is one major issue that frequently crops up here and elsewhere and is likely to become ever more frequent in the current financial climate.

It is true that some very young children may appear to have ASD and it turns out that this was not the case for any one of dozens of reasons.However it is likely that at this stage a formal diagnosis would not be given.Perhaps a few suggestions might be made that are positive anyway...such as a bit of extra support in nursery or visual supports.These would be helpful for any child under three whatever the difficulties.

However it is extremely common for professionals to decide to wait and see even where there are obvious difficulties.The parents and child then fail to receive support at a crucial time when early intervention could make a huge difference.

My friend was told to wait and see when her son was two.It was thought that he might be passive as a result of having a very outgoing sibling.This was over ten years ago and fortunately the diagnosis of children with ASD has improved in the last few years.C has a profound level ASD.He is non-verbal and has severe learning difficulties and is thirteen now.

There were two boys at my son's excellent nursery at the same time one was Ben.The nursery knew they were unusual.....everyone knew they were unusual but they were both bright and had involved articulate parents.It was presumed that they were bright and so did not want to play with their peers.Ben was diagnosed with AS at age 10.H was diagnosed at 11.Both missed out on intervention for most of their time in primary school and have struggled at times.

In any case.

My son is 3, and has not had a formal diagnosis as yet. He has had the Bayleys score assessment which puts him at low average and low fine motor skills, and we hope to have his ADOS before or just after Christmas

[/quote]

The OP's child has been put forward for an ADOS on the basis of other assessments.The concerns may turn out to be unfounded.

However a professional obviously has enough reason to request an ADOS.

In my opinion far better to obtain some support now,and at the same time go for the ADOS than to wait and see.

Somebody obviously thinks that weekly sessions at a children's centre are needed and that a key worker in nursery would be helpful.It is really positive that support is being put in place.

As Sally has rightly pointed out the length of time Statutory Assessment takes it is worth starting the process soon....if only by making sure IEPS are in place and up to date.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

thanks again

We have been really fortunate so far. Leo was referred to a paediatricain in Dec 09, who immediately did chromosome and genes testing as Leo is an IVF baby and I could not get it out of my head that there may be a link. This was proved unfounded. However, due to general delays in development, constant toe walking and what I call crab hands - we were referred to community paediatrics

The community paediatrician met him a few times, referred him to SALT, audiology and asked for him to go to a childrens centre a few hour a week, where they could carry out a more in-depth analysis of behaviour. The centre have been great! and not only work with him, have helped me locate pre-school provision, visited all facilities with me and initiated IEP and AIs within weeks of him starting! They also give me parent support and advice regarding ASD

The regular meetings with commuinity Paed. and the centre formed the reasoning behind his Bayleys test and the results from this and feedback from others involved in his care have driven forward the ADOS assessment. Yes he is young, but the centre beleive its best to have as much support as possible in the next 2 years, before he starts primary school

The preschool he attends, although linked to a primary school, is well geared to children with special needs and I was able to meet children and a parent of another autistic child before I enrolled him their. So feel have made the right decision on that score for now

Just the waiting for the ADOS - which I am dreading. Although we are expecting the diagnosis, we are both dreading someone saying the words that our child in autistic

Thanks and will let you know how we get on

LisaKaz

LisaKaz. :)

I am sorry this thread has developed into a bit of a debate about a side issue.

I will try to summarise my thoughts which may or may not be helpful.

There are obvious concerns about ASD both from yourself and other professionals.

A professional has put your child forward for an ADOS.If the ADOS shows your child does not have ASD then the Child Development Team should still refer regarding any other difficulties or suggest support or may perhaps monitor the situation and review.

Some support is being put in place already at pre-school and the children's centre which can be nothing but positive.If your child does not have ASD the worst that could happen is that your child might have obtained support prematurely which was not needed....which is what most people here dream of. :D

I think it is worth ensuring that the IEP is kept up to date in case you or CDT decide to request Statutory Assessment later.

If your child does have ASD then early appropriate support will not change the diagnosis.However it is recognised that early intervention does help young children Socially , helps prepare them for whatever school they go to and enables appropriate support for parents.

It is far easier to reduce support that is not needed than to obtain it so please accept whatever is being offered at the minute.It sounds to me like the pre-school and childrens centre are being very helpful. :thumbs::thumbs:

All LAs are in a tough situation at the minute.However some do try to support parents.My LA has funded early intervention projects and funds a worker from the NAS to work with parents.

Sally has had some dreadful experiences as have some others on the Forum.However you could find that your LA is very good. :D

Karen.

Hi.

I just cross posted with you. :D

It sounds like you are getting some excellent support which is very positive.

I can understand why you are worried about the ADOS. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I think you need not worry about the lengthy previous debate about whether early assessment and intervention is appropriate.From your last post I think it is exactly the right course of action .

However early intervention can make a big difference in how children with ASD progress in all areas.

There are some people around on the Forum who completely understand your situation and I hope they might spot this thread too. :)

Edited to add the thread that I have been looking for.It might be useful although some of the links might be out of date.[i gather from elsewhere that Kathryn has offered to update them for the price of a bar of very good chocolate for each post edited if Mumble asks her....but she may be some time. ;);):lol: ]

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/21397-statement-of-educational-needs/

Edited by Karen A

As you are getting support and going through the process of further assessments just bear in mind how long an assessment towards a Statement takes.

Find out about primary schools in your area that cater for children with an ASD whether they are mainstream or special schools. See what their entry criteria is. If your LEA does not do Statements, then they must use some other criteria to secure such a placement. Does the EP decide who gets those places? Whatever the criteria is, you need to know what it is.

If your child does need a supported placement either in mainstream or special school those places will be limited. You do not want to find yourselves in a positon where he needs such a place, but you cannot meet the criteria, or you haven't started the process early enough, and therefore all those places will be taken up by other ASD children. That makes it very hard for your child to get such a placement further down the line, because the reception year kids with ASD placements take up the year one ASD placements etc - all the way through school. That is what happened with us and we had to go to tribunal to force the school to make another placement for him.

Also speak with IPSEA and the NAS about your LEAs position on "not doing Statements".

As you are getting support and going through the process of further assessments just bear in mind how long an assessment towards a Statement takes.

Find out about primary schools in your area that cater for children with an ASD whether they are mainstream or special schools. See what their entry criteria is. If your LEA does not do Statements, then they must use some other criteria to secure such a placement. Does the EP decide who gets those places? Whatever the criteria is, you need to know what it is.

If your child does need a supported placement either in mainstream or special school those places will be limited. You do not want to find yourselves in a positon where he needs such a place, but you cannot meet the criteria, or you haven't started the process early enough, and therefore all those places will be taken up by other ASD children. That makes it very hard for your child to get such a placement further down the line, because the reception year kids with ASD placements take up the year one ASD placements etc - all the way through school. That is what happened with us and we had to go to tribunal to force the school to make another placement for him.

Also speak with IPSEA and the NAS about your LEAs position on "not doing Statements".

It cannot be the case that the LEA does not do Statements because that would require a change in the Law.It would not surprise me if this happens tomorrow but it has not happened yet. :wallbash::wallbash::)

It may be that the LA does not do Statements for three year olds perhaps....but they cannot have a blanket policy on not doing Statements at all.

I agree it is certainly worth contacting ACE,IPSEA or NAS.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/How-we-can-help/Advice-Line.aspx

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/Special_Educational_Needs

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/Special_Educational_Needs/early-years-extra-help

http://www.autism.org.uk/Living-with-autism/Education/Primary-and-secondary-school/Extra-help-for-your-child-in-school/Extra-help-in-school-England-and-wales/Statutory-assessment-England-Wales.aspx

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/education/primary-and-secondary-school.aspx

Edited by Karen A

I would be very wary of the local authority if they offer you something in place of a statement, if that is what your child needs. A statement is a legally binding document. If it is written down, the local authority should, by law, be compelled to provide it. If Cheshire offer you something, say, "equivalent", it would most probably not be legally binding and could be removed or reduced at any point in the future. A statement is the gold standard for provision. It is by no means perfect - lots of local authorities issue statements that don't specify or quantify provision and are therefore illegal - but you can challenge wording and enforce provision.

hi how weird jus read post and my son is leo is 3 and at nursery.he sounds ths same as mine. i am under allens croft its taki forever and like you i know it heart breakin and time consumin every week i see support worker and halth vist jus waitin to see consultant.he bein like this since birth so i undewrstand its all new to me xxx

Amy

I would consider starting the statementing process. It will take 6 months and may well speed up professionals. They will have to agree to assess or not and if so have 26 weeks. You can pull out at any stage. You need a fuller response, but I don't have time right now. Do not be fobbed off. The local authority will attempt to implement a graduated response (under the COP) but this can be bypassed (can't find the relevant bit of COP at the moment).

Hi, when my son started Pre-school at 3, he was awarded initially emergency support, which was reviewed every 3 months. During that time the various professionals came into nursery and wrote reports on him, while this was going on the panel are not allowed to withdraw the emergency support funding. This was all arranged by the childrens centre and the pre-school panel. We had a very knowledgeable teacher in the nursery, and they requested he be asessed for a Statement, as I remember either school or a parent request this, in our case it seemed to work better because school did. Also as he was being assessed for a statement, the panel again were not allowed to withdraw the funding. It takes months, but that meant my son started in Reception class with a Statement funding for 22.5 hours 1:1, so was well worth it. As some of the other parents say, get a copy of the code of practice, its really helpful, though the process is lengthy it guides you through what you need to do. I also had alot of help from people on this panel back then (2003/4), and help from an Advocate from the National Autistic Society, she was brilliant.

I feel for you when you say you dread to hear the words, it is hard, but you do come to terms with it, and like us, will do whatever it takes to get the help and support you all need.

Good luck.

Jo