Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

risperidone

Hi there my son Glen, 16 has risperidone, 1mg twice a day. He has seemed better since being on it but he also has prozac as well which I think has benefitted him more. Glen still self harms but isn't as aggressive in himself.

Risperidone controls levels of two important neurotransmitters, serotonin and dopamine. It's used for schizophrenia, bipolar, irritabilty in autism - and persistent hiccups.

So although it's used for schizophrenia, that doesn't mean anyone thinks your son has schizophrenia, in case you were wondering.

I hope it helps. It sounds as if finally someone has listened to you.

cb

Edited by coolblue

The tablet form of risperidone zoned me out. The liquid form caused extreme reactions of paranoia and violence.

The tablet form of risperidone zoned me out. The liquid form caused extreme reactions of paranoia and violence.

A lot of 'behavioural disorders' appear to be due to levels of serotonin and/or dopamine being too high or too low. The role of both in brain function is complex and it's not easy to tell whether symptoms arise from too much or too little. This is presumably why clinicians start with a low dose of something that either raises or lowers serotonin and/or dopamine and see what response they get.

Must have been nasty for you Trekster.

cb

Risperidone is widely use to treat Aggression and behavioural problems in Children/young people and those with ASD too.

Our Local CAMHS reject this medication totally which is confusing when other areas of CAMHS will prescribe it.

I am totally struggling with Js aggression and violent outbursts and all we have is the police + Emergency services backup.

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

That is strange J`s Mum,

dont know why they would think like that, I couldnt bear to go back to my posts of 2/3 years ago, prior to medication.

i have been on this meds for meltdowns ( aggression,anger, violence etc) keep cycling at my parents they had physically restrain me on the floor screamin crying self harming ending up in A & E hosp that's why we ended up going down the CAMHS meds route .... but i didn't feel did anything .....

XKLX

Risperidone is widely use to treat Aggression and behavioural problems in Children/young people and those with ASD too.

Our Local CAMHS reject this medication totally which is confusing when other areas of CAMHS will prescribe it.

I am totally struggling with Js aggression and violent outbursts and all we have is the police + Emergency services backup.

JsMumx

I was asked by social services to call 999 (Police), no WAY am I allowing the SS to label him a violent thug, and any restraint by the police (Not known for an understanding manner !), is going to trigger more from the autistic, stupid suggestion I suggest is to make things easier for SS than the autistic in crisis. Where, would they take these children anyway ? a cell ? no hospital will take them, and any referral takes months....... emergency services here will not even approach an Autistic with severe behavioural issues, let alone treat them, take it from me I KNOW they won't ! Parents have to weather it out best they can.