Does anyone else have issues with getting to sleep? I find it takes ages to wind down and get to sleep, but even though I end up with plenty I'm exhausted all the time. I've always had problems falling asleep, but I don't know if it's stress related or to do with my migraine meds that I can't seem to get enough...

I have had sleep trouble for as long as I can remember. My brain doesn't want to switch off. Thankfully the meds I'm on for my Fibromyalgia help me sleep there are other things that help.

I've got a CD of nature sounds like rain and waves. I put one track on loop and the noise helps push all the busy thoughts out and lets me shut down and go to sleep. I think white noise would work well too but I prefer the rhythmic lapping of waves or falling rain. It's also good for shutting out noises when you're trying to concentrate on other things.

Do you migraine meds mention insomnia as a side effect? If they mention drowsiness you might be having

a reaction similar to mine with meds where drowsiness = insomnia?! i know that is totally illogical but

paradoxical reactions to meds can occur in ASD.

i've had severe sleep problems for years various things have helped, melatonin can be prescribed for

autistic children but not adults, 5htp over the counter is expensive but helps with depression as well.

Chamomile tea also helps, watching a really exciting TV program helps my brother but i need something

that uses a lot of brainspace (thinking power) such as "heir hunters" where complicated family trees are

created.

Beth i also have fibromyalgia and was wondering what meds have helped with the pain? It can get up to an 8/10

at the moment when im out making me a bit of a dragon.

Beth i also have fibromyalgia and was wondering what meds have helped with the pain? It can get up to an 8/10

at the moment when im out making me a bit of a dragon.

I'm on Amytriptyline. Lots of people struggle with it as it can make you quite drowsy. I try and take as little as possible depending on how I feel. It is a miracle drug for me, I honestly can't live without it.

I've had sleep problems all my life, thanks to ADHD and sensory overloads. Last year an OT in the Mental Health Team taught me a strange but effective relaxation technique including breathing and counting: the idea is that it is rhythmic, but just complicated enough to crowd out any other disturbing brain actiities! Although his explanation took ages, the technique is so simple it's laughable. I've never known it to fail.

My 6 year has AS and he has problems getting to sleep. Once he is asleep he does not wake up until morning but it can take 4 hours sometimes for him to drop off.

We are trying different things to help but none are working at the moment

Yes - sleep problems for me throughout adulthood. I had really bad insomnia for many years, not so bad now, but i never wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day. I have lots of problems with tiredness and concentration and i don't know if this is due to poor sleep or some other factor. There seems to be so many complications - anxiety, deppresion, insomnia, etc and sometimes it's hard to know what's cause and what's effect.

I also have a thing called 'maladaptive daydreaming' which is when you compulsively daydream and can't switch it off - this isn't great for sleep, or relaxing generally.

The last couple of weeks my sleep has been a little better. I've been taking calcium tablets with food in the evenings - this might be helping, not sure yet.

It's really interesting that you mention Maladaptive Daydreaming Cardamine, I was just blogging yesterday about how I lived in stories in my own head for a huge percentage of my childhood, spending hours at a time day dreaming. I've never heard that term before though. It's something that only in the last couple of years I've been able to stop doing but it used to very much interfere with my sleep. I would lie in bed just in my own world, barely sleeping at all.

It's really interesting that you mention Maladaptive Daydreaming Cardamine, I was just blogging yesterday about how I lived in stories in my own head for a huge percentage of my childhood, spending hours at a time day dreaming. I've never heard that term before though. It's something that only in the last couple of years I've been able to stop doing but it used to very much interfere with my sleep. I would lie in bed just in my own world, barely sleeping at all.

How did you stop doing it? I'd love to know. I only heard the term a couple of months ago when i read about a study done in America of a woman who spent hours pacing round the room while daydreaming. She otherwise had a normal life, but sought help because whe couldn't stop daydreaming and contentrate on work etc. The doctor who did the study is called Cynthia Shupak and she's trying to get the conditions more recognised. There's a couple of internet forums about it - http://wildminds.ning.com/ and http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/maladaptivedaydreamers/

I was stunned when i read about it because my family suffer badly from it and i've wanted to know what it is for years.

My real life was really beginning to suffer to the point where I'd spend all day in my head and realise I'd not eaten. I woke up one day and realised that I needed to start living in the real world and just sheer determination and will power. I kept myself busy by doing lots of suduko and other puzzles constantly to try and stay in the moment rather than shutting my eyes and disappearing into my head. It was hard though, the key was keeping busy till I could trust myself not to do it.