Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

'Professionals' meeting' without parents?

I've just found out that, following my son's Annual Review meeting a couple of weeks ago at which we requested an alternative placement out of county, the professionals who attended are now arranging 'an urgent professionals' meeting to try to find a way forward'.

It seems we the parents are not invited; I found out because the SENCo copied me into the string of emails, whether by mistake or on purpose I don't know - it was probably not intended that I see the originals because many of the professionals' mobile numbers are on the emails...

Does this sound right? I feel they are meeting behind our back! We could ask for the minutes afterwards but how honest are they likely to be???

What should we do?

Lizzie x

I have had the same happen to me, I think its between the local Authority rather than a multi agency meeting, it is possibly good news that they are having a proffessionals meeting as it could go in your favour, if at the end of the day you dont agree with thier decisions you can appeal.

I am going throw the same procedure too, as I am requsting alternative provision also, and they are having a duel meeting with social services and Education as both are involved in our case.

It does come across that because we the parent isnt invited they might be making decisions behind our back so understand the feeling, they can do this, well they can in our area, but anything your not satisfied with you can put in an objection and appeal so just keep going with your requests.

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

I have had the same happen to me, I think its between the local Authority rather than a multi agency meeting, it is possibly good news that they are having a proffessionals meeting as it could go in your favour, if at the end of the day you dont agree with thier decisions you can appeal.

I am going throw the same procedure too, as I am requsting alternative provision also, and they are having a duel meeting with social services and Education as both are involved in our case.

It does come across that because we the parent isnt invited they might be making decisions behind our back so understand the feeling, they can do this, well they can in our area, but anything your not satisfied with you can put in an objection and appeal so just keep going with your requests.

JsMumx

The reason I feel very unsure about this professionals' meeting is that it's totally informal - the Review isn't complete yet - the school's report is still in draft form (and I have asked for several changes as it doesn't reflect the meeting).

Also, these same professionals said at the Review meeting that we should make a formal request for change of placement in writing, along with our working document of changes we want to Part 3, when we have received the school's final report. Which we haven't yet.

They told me that once I've made a formal request, it'll go before a panel. But this meeting is most definitely NOT the panel.

Why do they need a second meeting after the Review meeting two weeks ago, but without us???

Lizzie x

Edited by BusyLizzie100

I don't know this one.

Have you searched your local LEAs website for any 'SEN placement criteria'. It is surprising sometimes what comes up when you do searches like that.

The only thing I've had which is remotely similar was regarding a meeting of professionals about 'funding' of provision. I talked to the Parent Partnership about it and they were able to attend and take notes of the meeting which they passed to me and which were very useful at that time. I don't know what your opinion is of your local PP, but it might be worth asking if they can attend this meeting.

Yikes Lizzie. Who's going?

A similar thing happened to me when our refusal to assess appeal was underway. There was a multi agency meeting called at the school to which we weren't invited. I didn't push it because I decided the benefits of not being there outweighed any disadvantages. The Senco had called for the meeting and I trusted him absolutely. I also knew most people were overwhelmingly on our side, the Ed psych, connexions worker and a couple of Camhs people plus the Senco all planned to bludgeon the sole SEN officer into submission at the meeting. Which they did and I had recorded some video evidence and written a statement which the Senco read out at the meeting to ensure my views were heard. So my presence wouldn't have added much.

But your situation is different - you're not quite sure who is on your side. Is it worth asking the Senco outright what the agenda is?

K x

Under the data protection act 1998 you as a paretn have a right to information being written about or involving your child. Write a request in writing quoting data protection act 1998. You ahve aright to see whats been said or actioned..

I've just found out that, following my son's Annual Review meeting a couple of weeks ago at which we requested an alternative placement out of county, the professionals who attended are now arranging 'an urgent professionals' meeting to try to find a way forward'.

It seems we the parents are not invited; I found out because the SENCo copied me into the string of emails, whether by mistake or on purpose I don't know - it was probably not intended that I see the originals because many of the professionals' mobile numbers are on the emails...

Does this sound right? I feel they are meeting behind our back! We could ask for the minutes afterwards but how honest are they likely to be???

What should we do?

Lizzie x

WEll although this meeting took place some time ago now, we are still non the wiser!

We are still waiting for the LA's decision following the Review meeting, which was back in November, and was an early review following the previous one in May 2010. I have asked the SEN officer when we'll get it - we asked for amendments to the statement - and have been told we'll hear 'in due course'.

We've already asked for the next review to be early - at this rate we won't have finished the first one before the next one takes place - we asked for it to be in May 2011! unless the LA refuses to agree to an early review, that's entirely possible.

It's a farce isn't it.

Lizzie :wacko: