Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Snow and new job

I am due in for my first proper shift in my new job tonight and it is snowing very heavily. The forecast is for the heavy snow to carry on for a good few hours yet. I have to go back to bed this afternoon so I won't know how bad it is until I wake up later.

I live up on a high hill and there might not be much snow where the shop is. If I phone up and say I am snowed in and they look out the window and there is only a couple of inches where they are, they won't be very impressed.

AAARGH! Panic! I am going to get the sack before I even start! AAARGH!!!

I am due in for my first proper shift in my new job tonight and it is snowing very heavily. The forecast is for the heavy snow to carry on for a good few hours yet. I have to go back to bed this afternoon so I won't know how bad it is until I wake up later.

I live up on a high hill and there might not be much snow where the shop is. If I phone up and say I am snowed in and they look out the window and there is only a couple of inches where they are, they won't be very impressed.

AAARGH! Panic! I am going to get the sack before I even start! AAARGH!!!

Oh dear :( I am sure if you really cannot go in they will understand,maybe ring them up in advance and explain about the snow and see what they say. Dont cancel straight away but let them know you are concerned about whether you will make it in or not.

I stupidly tried to get to my parents' house earlier. It is easier to get to work from there and and I thought I should try to leave here before it got any worse because it was still snowing hard.

I got down into the town, sat in a traffic jam for an hour, and then decided to come back home. I couldn't get anywhere near my house. I had to abandon the car in a car park, and the only reason I made it that far was because I was towed. I walked the last 3 miles home, managed to get half an hour's sleep, and now I have to walk 3 miles back to my car before driving for at least an hour to work a 10-hour shift and then a long drive and walk before I can go to bed again.

I already felt rough before all of this. My glands in my neck are all swollen and it hurts to move my head. The reason I couldn't sleep more than half an hour is because I kept getting woken up with pains in my stomach and I've been on the toilet all afternoon instead of sleeping.

Oh Tally, it's just not worth putting yourself at risk to get to work!

Just phone them and explain the situation and stay put!!

Take care >:D<<'>

Bid :)

My brother came and got me and took me to work and brought me home again this morning :notworthy:

I am so pleased I got there because everyone else managed to get there, including one person who walked 6 miles to get there. It would have looked pretty bad if I had not gone in.

I am looking forward to going to bed now!

The roads are much clearer today than yesterday. I will be able to get to work tonight from where my car is parked. After a good sleep I will be up to the walk. I may have difficulty getting back home up the hill on Monday morning but I think I can get close to where it is now. Worst case scenario, I give up on getting home and go to sleep at my mum and dad's for the day, meaning I don't get to sleep very well. After a good sleep today that will be manageable.

Really pleased to hear that, Tally. Once you'd gotten over the drama of actually getting to work, how did you find your first day in your new job? Hope the people were nice and welcoming. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Once you'd gotten over the drama of actually getting to work, how did you find your first day in your new job?

Oh, that? What with everything else, I completely forgot to panic about that :lol:

The people I worked with were nice and I thinl Im going to like it there :)

Oh, that? What with everything else, I completely forgot to panic about that :lol:

The people I worked with were nice and I thinl Im going to like it there :)

Hi Tally

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise B)

I managed to get back to my car last night and get to work. I have to stick to the main roads as they are the only ones that are clear, so it's a really long way around. The whole journey took me 2 hours. I was able to get all the way home in the car in just under an hour. I think the roads will improve throughout today because cars will be driving over them and there is no more snow forecast and not too cold this evening or overnight.