Sign in to follow this  
duckie

Head-banging / hitting?

Hi - My daughter has some rather complex problems,

But I wish to ask some advice regarding head-banging and punching. My daughter hits her head alot, about 40% of the day. But sometimes she can take it to extreme levels, and punch herself in the head repetitively and very hard, on occasions she has given herself concussions and had to go to hospital. Is this an "autistic trait" ? and does anyone have any advice on how i can prevent her doing this - when she's doing it, I tell her to stop but she doesn't listen or respond to me when I talk to her, her eyes look glazed and no life in there, so I just leave the room - but she carries on. What can I do to help her? Its rather distressing to watch.

I hit my head because I am trying to get rid of bad memories from my past. I have also hit my head

so that I can go to sleep due to noise pollution in my block of flats.

Hi my son Glen 16 is autistic and hits his head repeatedly with extreme force and also hits out at others especially me. He is at the moment having a mental health assessment. I have been told in Glen's case hitting himself could be his way of trying to communicate as he doesn't speak, I'm not sure but I do know he seems and looks very unhappy but due to him not speaking in unable to tell us why. If I were you I would try to get your daughter seen by a psychiatrist, they might be able to help.

just give you insight more information on this subject head banging is common self injurious behaviour in autistics as soothes comforts them alot when anxious stressed frustrated sensory overload etc helps calm themselves down .... i use another common self injurious behaviour in A.S/HFA which is cutting or overdosing which i have ended up in hospital over before in A& E until early hours of morning with parents!!! after hours of screaming,crying shouting swearing being angry /aggressive violent lashing out physically!!!

web link from NAS website on self harm which may explain in autism terms better for you:

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour/challenging-behaviour/self-injurious-behaviour.aspx

self harm release brain chemicals called 'endorphins' which relax you chill you out make feel happy etc

XKLX

just give you insight more information on this subject head banging is common self injurious behaviour in autistics as soothes comforts them alot when anxious stressed frustrated sensory overload etc helps calm themselves down .... i use another common self injurious behaviour in A.S/HFA which is cutting or overdosing which i have ended up in hospital over before in A& E until early hours of morning with parents!!! after hours of screaming,crying shouting swearing being angry /aggressive violent lashing out physically!!!

web link from NAS website on self harm which may explain in autism terms better for you:

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour/challenging-behaviour/self-injurious-behaviour.aspx

self harm release brain chemicals called 'endorphins' which relax you chill you out make feel happy etc

XKLX

Hi - thank you for the link I shall look at that later. I'm currently having a very difficult time with my daughter tonight, I don't know who to turn too.

Hi Duckie,

Sorry you're having a difficult time.

Please check your personal messages - I've just sent you one. You can do this by clicking on your name in the top right hand corner and clicking on "messenger".

Kathryn

OK mod hat on:

I think this is a good time to make the general point that whilst the support people give and get here is valuable, there is a limit to the help any internet forum can offer in a difficult situation. Anyone who is in a crisis situation should always seek trained professional support, and if there is immediate risk, the emergency services should be involved.

Please look at the link below - it's been at the top of each board for some time. It states the forum's position on this and gives links to helpful resources for people in crisis.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/18802-depression-mental-health-and-crisis-support/

Kathryn

Edited by Kathryn

Oooh Duckie, this is a really hard time for you.

How old is she?

Cs. (age six) has a heavy tick (blinking and grimacing) when it starts, I sit on the floor a bit close to him, and I start speaking slowly and a bit melodic. Sometimes the earmuff helps him because the noise annoyed him.

And I wait...

A bit later I sit closer and closer and try to hug him.

I'm not sure this will work for you, but maybe...