Sign in to follow this  
smiley1590

adult fussy food fad eater

hey guys

anyone that could shed light on situation causing massive conflict as mum thinks being awakard funny just because i want too be don't think this case making me angry inside! anyone had experience/advice please!:

my mum getting annoyed with me because i now 'fussy' with food such as sausages and eggs .... and never used to be this way don't know where sensory issue? or whether it just me? or could this be A.S related in some way! i remember when younger i went through stage all i eat was mc cain microwave chips with my meals am i going through similiar stage again? will my A.S signs keep adjusting/moving/changing as get older?

XKLX

One thing that has really helped me eat different foods is buying and cooking for myself. If I am in control of what I'm going to cook, I feel more able to try a wider variety of foods.

Now that you're possibly going to get your own place, it might be a good time to get involved with the shopping and cooking.

i not getting my own place decided it isn't right time in my life right now! that's what suppose to be doing with support workers and doing virtual shop budgettin on paper feel so silly stupid doing it like that though can't afford do it for rel at the moment and feel in the way cooking at home feel like stepping on parent's space and toes! is so awakard feel embarassed!

XKX

I bet your mum would be really pleased if you offered to help her with the shopping and cook a meal. Why would that be embarrassing?

i just when budgetting shopping anxieties rise with people in the shop as get cramped crowded busy and start sweat shake panic i become overwhelmed suffocated i get embarrassed that i get myself in such a anxious state as i find maths skills behind budetting so tiring mentally drained and cokking due to my dyspraxia and A.S dreading the challenge ahead even though i want to do it! my support workers suppose to 'step up' they always seem in confusing daze' over what suppose to do ion our sessions and i try avoid shops due to my anxiety as can't the challenge /task seems so massive to untake i feel such coward avoiding but becomes so stressful even when think about it i thinking may just learn with my parents when move out into my onw flat! i feel like everyone looking at me budgetting feel so pressured .... i went with my dad today to help with shopping at Tesco's and struggled to cope and manage with choatic people everywhere and find what cheapest price of food product of same product as i got low maths skills abilities that annoying frustrating and just so scared afraid mum and dad said help me practice with budgetting skills taking me shopping plenty times before i move out im going to grasp responsibility of being an adult .... sents me into massive spin in my head .....

XKLX

Maybe you need to focus on one step at a time. Don't think too much about how you will cope when you move out. That is a lot of pressure! Try to break it down into smaller challenges that are manageable. Going to the shops with your dad and helping to choose some items is a really good step to start off with.

The shops are extremely busy this week because of Christmas. Tomorrow will be the busiest shopping day of the whole year, and today is not far behind. You certainly set yourself a big challenge to go to the supermarket during Christmas week. I think you did really well to survive a trip to a supermarket today.

After a few times you will get used to what is the cheapest product. You can just buy the one you normally buy without needing to check every time. It will get easier :)

You don't have to rely on your support workers to decide what to do. You can tell them what you would like to do. Perhaps you can talk to them about your eventual target of being able to go shopping and cook for yourself, and how to break that down into smaller steps. Once you've worked out the steps you can start to work on them, one at a time.

i have tried break it up into smaller chunks but i CAN'T my head always screaming out at me!!! thing is with my support workers anxiety grips me and end up doing same thing every time which isn't what suppose to be doing! then feel bad and guilty about avoidance tactics! they know my eventual target of shopping and cooking even my dad could see how budgetting skills affect me how confused anxious i get and worked up! anxiety seems to overwhelm me so much! leave me feeling trapped in every sense of the word!

XKLX

Could you use a home delivery service to do your shopping? I think most supermarkets offer them, and if you put in a big enough order I think they are free. That would mean you don't have to go round the shop, and could compare prices on a computer at your leisure.

I know what you mean about it feeling awkward cooking at home, my freinds all think I should cook sometimes to get more independent, but I'm not sure there would be space in the kitchen, and I find it so hard explaining to my mum that I want to do more grown up things.

My son (13, Aspergers) can be quite fussy about what he eats. We tend to find that the less in control he feels with the rest of his life the more he needs to restrict/control his diet in order to reduce the amount on uncertainty in his life. When he s feeling hapier/stronger he is more able to try new things.

I hope that made sense!

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I am a 'fussy eater', and it's mostly to do with textures, although I can find some smells extremely off-putting. I do usually at least try new foods as I know I can just spit them out, but can't risk an entire meal or large portion of a meal being something new in case I don't like it (so will try parts of other people's foods, and then maybe have them myself another time if I like them enough). I've always been like this, though, and my parents are used to it. It doesn't often cause problems in our house.

I am a 'fussy eater', and it's mostly to do with textures, although I can find some smells extremely off-putting. I do usually at least try new foods as I know I can just spit them out, but can't risk an entire meal or large portion of a meal being something new in case I don't like it (so will try parts of other people's foods, and then maybe have them myself another time if I like them enough). I've always been like this, though, and my parents are used to it. It doesn't often cause problems in our house.

Thats like Sam (7) he is willing to try new foods however if he does'nt like it he won't touch it again.Rice in oparticular is somethings I won't bother pushing,I tried for many years unsuccessfully.He loves fruit so he is healthy.

Dan(4) won't try new foods though its taken 2 years to get him to try chicken,but he won't eat it really.I hope one day he will try more foods I feel he is missing out.

It took me quite a long time to start to try new foods. Can't remember when it 'clicked' that there was always the option of spitting it out and swigging some drink to wash the taste out of my mouth and that a bad taste wouldn't poison me!

My brother (not autistic) used to try anything when he was really little, but grew into being fussy. Now he'll only try new things if his friends are eating them/recommend them. He claimed he hated pizza up until he was about 16/17, tried some round a friend's house, and as soon as he tried it it became his favourite food. He loves hot and spicy food but has never tried a curry (whereas I dislike hot and spicy food, but I really like the chicken from the curry we order from the chinese, although it's picked out so there's the bare minimum curry sauce).

I can appreciate the unusual texture side of things. I used to eat mild cheddar, then I started eating mature and extra mature. Now I really like the strongest cheddar possible, and on trying the medium mature and mild cheddar again I don't like them, not because of the flavour but to me it is like a rubbery texture. Also same with Calamari, don't mind the taste but cannot deal with the texture. Apparently many countries eat insects like locusts, and apparently they are quite nutritious and good for you. I guess most people in the UK would be put off eating them as it is kind of taboo. I guess the main thing that would put me off ever trying is what I expect the texture to be like. Other than that I will generally try anything, I'm a bit of a gannet and not very fussy. My girlfriend OTOH is one of the fussiest eaters ever :( which I'm not too happy about as it restricts the number of things we can eat together. Still I suppose that's what compromises are for.

Edited by anewman