Sign in to follow this  
smiley1590

BMI score on wii fit

my BMI socre being measured on wii fit tonight calculated me to be 29.34 which i know still in overweight level but how much is this converted in stone and pounds? im 5ft 2.5inch as machine at gym measures height wrong and also your weight! i know my BMI should be around 18.5 and 25 so still on high side yet!

XKLX

my BMI socre being measured on wii fit tonight calculated me to be 29.34 which i know still in overweight level but how much is this converted in stone and pounds? im 5ft 2.5inch as machine at gym measures height wrong and also your weight! i know my BMI should be around 18.5 and 25 so still on high side yet!

XKLX

I find the scale in st/lb hard to read off the wii fit so I tend to go for the kg scale instead.

Using a BMI calculator, 5' 2.5" and 11st 9lb work out at a BMI of 29.3...

although a useful tool, you shouldn't put too much faith in the BMI alone. according to their BMIA Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone, and Mel Gibson are technically obese. So are boxer Mike Tyson, and wrestling superstar The Rock. And Arnold Schwarzenegger is obese, too. Will Smith, Perce Brosnan and even the undoubtedly perfect body of Brad Pitt all make it into the "overweight" scale of the BMI charts!!!!

Geting fit is nealy always god (nearly because even that wll harm your dy if you become obsessive about it!) and most of us could lose some weight and be healthier - but trying to reach an unobtainabe "magic" weight is no always the best goal - think about how you want to look/whst you want to be able to do and work towards a more personal goal.

XKLX

Hi Smiley,

BMI is bunk - it's a ratio (it's your weight in kgs divided by the square of your height in metres) and is fairly meaningless because it doesn't take into consideration the amount of lean mass (muscle) you have. Let me give you an example - look at Eastern European shot-putters or weightlifters. They're HUGE and their BMIs would make them morbidly obese but, if you were to calculate their body fat percentage, it could come out to be around 10% (or even less). Muscle is denser than fat, so it will appear to weigh more.

To put it another way - I'm an Aspie (and my IQ's around 160) does that mean I'm intelligent...? Nope - it just means I can do those silly Mensa-style intelligence tests! It doesn't mean I can find my way round Saisbury's or get off the bus at the correct stop!

Am I making sense here...?

IMNSHO, I feel that there'd be FAR fewer instances of EDs if we switched to measuring adults in terms of BF%age rather than BMI - BMI is meaningless.

But to answer your question (if I must) it's 11 stone 9lb. You should aim to be between 20 and 21 in terms of BMI, but make sure you're losing FAT, rather than WEIGHT (i.e you want to be building muscle).

Finally, too much exercise is detrimental. You should aim for 30 minutes medium intensity cardio 4 or 5 times a week (medium intensity means keeping your heart-rate within the 55-75% zone). Constantly going above that for long periods means that your body will start to burn muscle and store fat (because it will signal to your brain that your body is under stress, and to produce adrenaline which, in its turn, produces cortisol (the fight-or-flight hormone) one of the things cortisol does is to lay down visceral fat (i.e. the stuff we can see!) in places we don't want it (and in women that means round our bellies in case we have an unborn child to protect).

It also makes you hungrier and you're likely to consume more (usually in the form of carbs - and that'll make you fat too; it's carbs that make you fat, not dietary fat - I'm living proof of that... But that's not for now - I'm going OT again!)

Hugs,

Sarah xxx

Hugs,

Sarah xxx

(who knows FAR too much about dietary stuff than is probably healthy... :D)