Special_talent123

Lack of Funding in our area, with social services

As you may of heard, about the cut backs because the government got into debt and had to reduce the amount they were spending.

now in our area, social services can only fund ' substantial' and ' critical'. I had an assessment to see if my needs had changed , but i had the assessment and im under 'moderate needs' so what he said were that ' your file will be closed with in the learning disability team and that will loose my direct payments, if my needs change i need to approach them for another assessment'

Can you appeal against their decision ?

Edited by Jannih

The other alternative is to prove that they have wrongly assessed you;

http://www.sacramentoasis.com/docs/8-22-03/taking_responsibility.pdf

Has a 'practical support skills' section which can help you work out what you could have missed on your original assessment.

South Gloucestershire has an 'ASD specific social worker', the NAS has a Social Worker who can do assessments of need in the

Bristol area.

The 'Eligibility Criterion' are very vague and open to misinterpretation. Page 3 of this report mentions what they are...

http://www.familycarers.org.uk/Libraries/Local/866/Docs/News/Luke%20Clements%20Community%20Care%20Overview%20WEB.pdf

Taken from the report mentioned below.

"Critical - when

life is, or will be, threatened; &/or

significant health problems have developed or will develop; &/or

there is, or will be, little or no choice & control over vital aspects of the immediate

environment; &/or

serious abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur; &/or

there is, or will be, an inability to carry out vital personal care or domestic routines; &/or

vital8 involvement in work, education or learning cannot or will not be sustained; &/or

vital social support systems & relationships cannot or will not be sustained; &/or

vital family & other social roles & responsibilities cannot or will not be undertaken.

Substantial - when

there is, or will be, only partial choice & control over the immediate environment; &/or

abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur; &/or

there is, or will be, an inability to carry out the majority of personal care or domestic routines;

&/or

involvement in many aspects of work, education or learning cannot or will not be sustained;

&/or

the majority of social support systems & relationships cannot or will not be sustained; &/or

the majority of family & other social roles & responsibilities cannot or will not be undertaken."

"The decision making process requires the initial information (gathered in stage 1) to be graded

into three broad themes, namely

· autonomy,

· health and safety,

· ability to manage daily routines, and

· involvement in family and wider community life

These identified risks to independence are the compared to the council’s eligibility criteria.

Those risks that meet the eligibility criteria must result in some service provision response from

the council."

...you could ask your mum to help you look at these criterion and see which ones you fit.

Good luck

Alexis (studying eligibility criteria for her dissertation)

Unfortunately this is happening a lot across the country. I know locally in my council it has been substantial or critical for sometime, I barely scraped through when they first assessed me as substantial. Some authorities are going as far as only funding critical