Sign in to follow this  
Baboushka

Info needed: residential schools suitable for 13 yr old boy

Hi

I'm currently looking for suitable education provision for my 13 year old son Charlie, he's a very bright, clever young man so I'm looking for somewhere which can help him achieve his academic potential in addition to helping him with his social communication difficulties. He was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome last year, his proposed statement is due in 2 weeks - I'm anticipating his primary need will be BES (he has emotional difficulties - CAMHS are currently involved following a period of depression). He's also dyspraxic and slightly dyslexic- he has been out of mainstream school for over a year - he currently only receives 4 hours education per week via a home tuition service. It's acknowledged by staff at the home tuitions service and his current school SENCO that Charlie is not suitable for mainstream school - also that he is academically able. We live in Buckinghamshire, the only special schools here seem to be geared towards young people with challenging behaviour or for young people with more severe learning difficulties, neither of which are suited to his needs.

It's been suggested that the most appropriate provision would possibly be a residential school - I'm just starting to look around to see what's available and would appreciate any advice or information on this. Also for any information regarding special schools in our neighbouring counties - Beds, Berks, Herts, Oxfordshire, Milton Keynes.

Thanks xx

Edited by Baboushka

Hi

I am in Bucks to,in fact I think I know you via FB ;) There is Walnuts school in milton keynes which is residential but has only limited spaces so works more of a respite (once or twice a week) but if he gets a place he will get transport anyway.The problem is we are having a hard time getting a school place for my son within bucks you will have an even bigger fight applying for something out of county,which milton keynes is.

There is nothing suitable is Beds as I recently moved from there.I think there is one in Herts but again may not be residential day only.Furzedown is okay,but I have heard they not tough enough.

I would contact PP to get a list of schools or ask the ed psych who assessed him x

Hi,

Thanks everyone - my head's in bits, I'm just gathering information at the moment waiting for the statement to be issued. It helps to know there's others to offer advice and support :)

Hi Justine - yes, we're FB friends :) I've been reading your posts with interest, I know you've had a tough time trying to get your kids education sorted. Are you any further forward? I think you're right what you say about finding provision out of county - I think it'll be a hard time ahead so I'll be posting on here when I need guidance (or generally to rant lol).

x