emmasmum

Tell me about alphasmart

Hi again!

After the special needs teacher identifying that Emma works better on a word processor than by hand (on a PC) I asked them why she isn't using one in class and they said they'd "look into it".

Today we receive a letter to say they think she will benefit from using an alphasmart and asking us to sign up to accept she is fully responsible for it and can only use it subject to teacher's permission etc etc.

Emma has never used an alphasmart, though she has seen them in the classroom. Some have alphasmarts and others have laptops.

I'd like to know how they think she will benefit if she's never tried using them - don't they have predictive text or something? I've looked at a picture online and it seems it might be quite difficult to organise your work if you can only see one line at a time?

If anyone has experience in secondary school with these please could you let me know your thoughts. I suspect they've seen she needs a word processor and have an alphasmart spare to are going to give her that without considering whether it's the best solution.

We got a note in lieu by the way - no mention of word processor on that as they've only very recently identified that she works better on the laptop (since the assessments done in December). I think I'm going to appeal. I have no faith in this school being able to meet her needs and have grave concerns about college.

Thanks

Carol

Hi

My son has his own alphasmart - it's basically a lightweight portable word processor. A family member bought it for him as it was recommended by the school - I think they had very few available and they were all in use. They appear to be a good tool for young people who have difficulties with writing (my son has dyspraxia and fine motor co-ordination difficulties). The young person saves their work on the alphasmart and prints it off later - the school my son attended made facilities available every day so he could do this.

Unfortunately, my son picked most of the function keys off the keyboard (he has a fixation with plastic) and has organisational difficulties, so whilst he had the tools to help him he would forget to take his alphasmart into school, not charge it up, and not print off any work. He has aspergers and has difficulties with organisation generally. I do know, however, that other young people used the alphasmart successfully in school.

it is a simple to use note taking word processor, that downloads easily onto a pc, where the work can be edited and saved.

it is quick to use, requires no setting up and has several folders so that work can be saved for several subjects before downloading.

however - i use it mainly for students with physical disabilities, particularly temporary ones.

only being able to view one line at a time cold well be frustrating for a student on the spectrum.

My daughter had one at college for a while as she has difficulties with handwriting. They are fairly lightweight and so easy to carry around. I don't recall her using it much to do and save her work on - I think she used the home and college PC's for that. It did work quite well as a communication tool though: there were a couple of phases she went through when it was very difficult to speak, so she would use it to type short responses in answer to questions.

K x

I need to declare an interest in that I am Product Manager for AlphaSmart (now Renaissance Learning) in the UK and I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have on the NEO.

The NEO is used extensively in both Primary and Secondary schools to support a wide range of special needs and assorted specific writing problems faced by both adults and pupils. There is a 'predictive text' software addition that can be used with the NEO called Co:Writer. This is produced by a company called Don Johnson in the US but there is a localised UK version too. If people need a further level of support then there is a Text to Speech unit that can be used alongside the NEO which will read back letter by letter, word by word or sentence by sentence as text is entered.

If you use three Duracell AA batteries then, with normal use they will last about a year - so there is no problem with re-charging.

The size of text on the screen can be altered so that from two to six lines of text can be displayed at a time. Many users report that the smaller screen is less of a challenge to fill.

Please feel free to get back with additional questions. We are always happy to provide information and advice.

DD was given access to an alphasmart but did not get on with it at all

- she didn't like only being able to see a few lines of work and a lack of versatility compared to a laptop

- she also did not like it taking up space on her desk - espcially as her school used sloping desks

In the end we went for a laptop - however school got an OT in to devise a hand training prgramme to improve her writing - they found that she pressed too hard when she wrote making writing exhausting and hard to read - this has done wonders and she handwrites mostly in class but types homework

Hi again!

After the special needs teacher identifying that Emma works better on a word processor than by hand (on a PC) I asked them why she isn't using one in class and they said they'd "look into it".

Today we receive a letter to say they think she will benefit from using an alphasmart and asking us to sign up to accept she is fully responsible for it and can only use it subject to teacher's permission etc etc.

Emma has never used an alphasmart, though she has seen them in the classroom. Some have alphasmarts and others have laptops.

I'd like to know how they think she will benefit if she's never tried using them - don't they have predictive text or something? I've looked at a picture online and it seems it might be quite difficult to organise your work if you can only see one line at a time?

If anyone has experience in secondary school with these please could you let me know your thoughts. I suspect they've seen she needs a word processor and have an alphasmart spare to are going to give her that without considering whether it's the best solution.

We got a note in lieu by the way - no mention of word processor on that as they've only very recently identified that she works better on the laptop (since the assessments done in December). I think I'm going to appeal. I have no faith in this school being able to meet her needs and have grave concerns about college.

Thanks

Carol

I think whatever the pros and cons of this particular piece of kit. That you still focus on appealing. You may need to get independent reports because the ones done by the LEA/NHS are not extensive. You need to focus on section 2 itemising all her needs and section 3 detailing provision to meet each of those needs. And you need section 4 to be a reflection of sections 2 and 3.

Have you looked at any other schools that go up to age 19 and which have a similar peer group to your daughter?