2pink2blue

Something else going on...

DS1 has been at his new special school since January. Having been out of school for year before this he has settled very well for the most part. The teacher however thinks there is something going on as well as the autism.

The 'something' that was mentioned was possible chemical imbalance. Have had a look on google but it all seems a bit vague. Does anyone have this dx as an additional problem? Or indeed know what I'm talking about?

I think there is 'something else' too but can't put my finger on what that something is. His teacher say she can see the autism but can see/feel something else too. The ed psych will be in to see him shortly and we have a parents afternoon coming up but thought I would have a bit of a look into things beforehand.

Thanks for any info/advice,

sue

hi -this has been suggested about my son aswell-how old is he? mine is 13 and has anxiety that has gone thru the roof in the last year. the school called in camhs who have been wonderful and who wrote a report recommending changes in their approach to him. they have callad this -loss of well being which can occur in adolesence as tho he is sverely autistic is very switched on and therefore finding it hard to cope with his "difference".

i often wondered if i have chemical imbalance as i have extremes of moods where i feel 'buzzing' highs and 'crashing' lows run me into the ground i feel like everything impossible and feel 'dark' 'blue' all time and whatever i do i can't seem to shift it i had depression on and off but feel there more going on too that hasn't been explained! just put down to classic anxiety /depression!!!

XKLX

He is only 7 but is very high functioning and aware of his autism.

We have had a really difficult period of about 6 months with him, which in the last 2 months seems to have settled down. It did seem like he was depressed during this time, certainly very unhappy/angry.

His anxiety levels are always high!! I'm thinking there may be an anxiety disorder going on to.

Just waiting to see what is said today and take it from there. He does seem to like this school and said it's because they like him there, which is lovely and heartbreaking all at once. He's had a lot to deal with really and I wish I could make it all easier for him.

Be aware that autism is a descriptive term for a set of behavioural characteristics, not a clearly defined disorder in the way that Down syndrome or Fragile X would be. It's quite likely that many children's autistic behaviours are caused by a chemical imbalance, rather than there being a chemical imbalance in addition to the autism, if you see what I mean.

As for what kind of chemical imbalance it might be....

There are several different kinds of neurotransmitters in the brain acting on different types of sites on neurons that could affect behaviour. Those neurotransmitters could in turn be affected by chemical imbalances in the rest of the body. It's still early days as far as brain function research is concerned, which is why we still don't know what causes autism in most children.

Ideally, autism is dx'd IF behaviours match the diagnostic criteria for autism, AFTER medical conditions known to be associated with autism, such as Fragile X and other chromosomal disorders have been ruled out through blood tests.

Essentially, your child's educational needs should be being met at school regardless of what diagnosis he has, and his medical needs should be being met by the NHS regardless of his diagnosis, so unless he has health problems that aren't being addressed, what diagnosis he has isn't as important as what his needs are.

cb

cb

i often wondered if i have chemical imbalance as i have extremes of moods where i feel 'buzzing' highs and 'crashing' lows run me into the ground i feel like everything impossible and feel 'dark' 'blue' all time and whatever i do i can't seem to shift it i had depression on and off but feel there more going on too that hasn't been explained! just put down to classic anxiety /depression!!!

XKLX

hiya, could u tell me how old u are?......as i have a 25yr old son with Aspergers....am having alot of probs the last couple of yrs......he has to be honest been aweful with alcohol but says its the only time he feels normal....when not drinking he usually smokes weed or sleeps........its at a point now where i asked him to find his own place,i feel aweful but he wont talk and doesnt seem to want to sort anything......he is vey verbally abusive towards me and has smashed house up ,, to be honest it may start purely if i ask if he could not bang cupboard doors.......dont want to throw him out but cant take much more...he is also in debt ( has means to sort this) butjust doesnt...i tried everything i can think of and am scared to put him in a worse situation.......soz it so long.....

hey i'm 21 years old female i did start drink alcohol when got stressedto 'numb' the emotions feelings to block hurt anf pain out escape reality! sounds like you need speak to NAS and to citizen advice help him sort out his financial mess of debts!

XKX

hey i'm 21 years old female i did start drink alcohol when got stressedto 'numb' the emotions feelings to block hurt anf pain out escape reality! sounds like you need speak to NAS and to citizen advice help him sort out his financial mess of debts!

XKX

hiya, i have been with him to citizens advice and for a while he seemed to want to sort it, but then as usual he starts not bothering. i have told him the trouble he could get into with certain debtors but he wont listen. he as always been the type not to believe until it in front of his eyes.i dont think there is anything i can do now but wait till he learns the hard way....

XKX

another thing,,u say you drank to block out how u felt,what change for you?

another thing,,u say you drank to block out how u felt,what change for you?

Quite simply, there comes a time when you realise it's getting out of hand and there are no answers to be found in bottles. Trust me, I've been there too (for me there was also the social indignation of being found passed out in a pool of my own, well you get the idea...).

I have to try to be tee-total these days; if I even have one drink, I know it's going to all come back again (though I do have to admit I still drink socially, but I'm able to limit it to that - I've not drunk alone now for about 3 years).