Sign in to follow this  
baileyj

Annual Review - Naming Secondary School

Hello all, its been a long time since Ive been on this forum, however I always find its the right place to come. Hope everyone doing OK and are well.

My Max is now 10, and still at his wonderful primary school, which he has attended since nursery with the same LSA.

After his annual review 12 months ago, we have spent the last year viewing secondary schools of various types, as we were asked to.

a) catchment mainstream school with support,

B) mainstream secondary with able autism base for 8 pupils

c) special schools.

For Max the able autsim base is definately the best place for him, and was also recommended by the CCD team. Max is currently statemented and funded for 22.5 hours 1:1, which he has been since aged 4 on entering Reception. It also states 1 S&L session per term, and support from the CCD team to the school. I had a lot of help from this forum when getting his original statement, and ended up going to the LEA, and also had help from an NAS Advocate. Max's current school has always worked well for Max as its a small semi-rural primary, where everyone knows and accepts Max for who he is, and the staff, particularly his LSA are very exerienced in SEN.

So, I get to the point.

Its his annual review at the end of the month, and I have to write a parental report, which I do every year. I wrote my original one years ago with excellent advise off this forum. I'm desperate to make sure I write the correct things in my report, as I really want to do my best to try and get Max into this unit. So any advise I'd be so grateful for.

Also when I spoke to the lady from CCD, who had originally recommended the unit, she is now saying, I name the school(s) at the review, then it goes to a priority needs panel in November! I'll find out after that.

Oh also, I forgot to say, when we visited the able autism base, the teacher their, offered to attend Max's annual review this year, but CCD says that would not be appropriate as no decision for place will be made until November, so I don't know what to do about that one.

Any help gratefully appreciated all.

Many thanks, Jo

Not been on here much lately so missed you first post.

Bit confused, Is your boy in year 5 ?

If so it will be the interim review at at the start of year 6 (November) when secondary school will be discussed.

If you are happy with things as they are at his present school and with the statement then there seems little need for change and this would be reflected in your parent contribution.

Just to add there is nothing to stop anyone (who is invited) from contributing to the review, whether it carries any wight is something else altogether.

Its up to the head teacher who is invited to the review.

Edited by chris54

The autism unit that you want will have criteria for the pupils it accepts. Ask them for that criteria to ensure that your son meets it.

What you need in your parental report are all the things he has now and needs that make it impossible for any other provision or environment. If he is taught in groups of 8 children and has had an LSA 1:1, then that is still what he needs, unless a professional states otherwise at the Annual Review. No provision can be withdrawn unless a professional has said there is no need for it. It does get withdrawn often, but not legally, and you would go to a tribunal if anything is withdrawn without professional reports recommending that.

So, if he is taught in a group of around 8 other children, that means that any other environment which is over and above that number is inappropriate.

Why does he need that environment. Is there a report saying he needs a low arousal environment. All these types of things you include in the report.

If you are happy with the provision currently that is fine. If you think he needs extra help with certain things or areas of difficulty then you say so eg. social communication, conversation, life skills etc spring to mind.

Has he made progress with the SALT or any other therapy input. Can that be seen and measured eg. last year his comprehension was age 6 and now it is age 6.5 years etc.