Sign in to follow this  
tamaras

Hello from a very shy newbie

Hi. I dont even know if I am posting this in the correct section. I am very new to this aspergers thing but it is my 18 yr old son who has only been diagnosed last year!

Since he was small he has had confidence problems and hated playing with children though he is very intelligent and liked to sit and learn stuff. Obviously this has always been a concern and I remember being at the doctors when he was in primary school who promised to get an appointment with a child psychologist but unfortunately this never happened. Eventually when he was 16 after years of trouble with school he saw a psychiatrist for depression who then diagnosed Aspergers after him being seen for almost an year. I feel this should surely have been picked up on sooner. He is the best son I could ask for as he is very helpful to me as I am disabled and he talks non stop with me and his granny but he will not go out in public on his own. Will not enter a shop. Wont see a doctor without me. I dont mind as I am his mother and want to make things easier for him. He has been signed as unfit to work at the moment as he cant go anywhere on his own and wont talk for himself.

My biggest worry is that I may have been the cause of this Aspergers as I dont know what does cause this. He had a very long birth. 47.5 hours from when my waters broke and natural delivery but his head was very mis-shapen when he came out. Like a cute little cone head. Can things like this cause this.

Sorry to have gone on but as I said am not used to forums or Aspergers.

Welcome to the forum Tamaras,

The first thing to say is that absolutely nothing you have done, or not done, has caused your son to have AS. This is just how he is, just like the colour of his eyes or his gender.

It's a very emotional time around diagnosis...you need to be gentle with yourself, and give yourself plenty of time to understand AS and to come to terms with this news.

Have a look around the forum...there are quite a few people with young adults on the spectrum.

Bid :)

Thank you bid for the greeting and reassurance.

I do feel quite alone so that is why I looked up the forum. My son knows what is wrong and he is coping well with knowing just not how it affects him.

I will look further into the forum and see what info I can gather to help. I really cant believe his intelligence though. He teaches himself loads on the computer but heard this is normal. I know in the future he will still need me to go places with him but people will just have to understand i cant just desert him to cope alone.

He will always be my miracle.

I will go now and make use of the excellent forum.

Thanks again.

Hi Tamaras,

I wasn't used to forums or Aspergers when I joined either - that was a long time ago. You'll soon learn about both.

A big welcome to you and if you aren't sure about anything, whether it's to do with ASD or the forum itself, please just ask.

K x

Hi. I dont even know if I am posting this in the correct section. I am very new to this aspergers thing but it is my 18 yr old son who has only been diagnosed last year!

Since he was small he has had confidence problems and hated playing with children though he is very intelligent and liked to sit and learn stuff. Obviously this has always been a concern and I remember being at the doctors when he was in primary school who promised to get an appointment with a child psychologist but unfortunately this never happened. Eventually when he was 16 after years of trouble with school he saw a psychiatrist for depression who then diagnosed Aspergers after him being seen for almost an year. I feel this should surely have been picked up on sooner. He is the best son I could ask for as he is very helpful to me as I am disabled and he talks non stop with me and his granny but he will not go out in public on his own. Will not enter a shop. Wont see a doctor without me. I dont mind as I am his mother and want to make things easier for him. He has been signed as unfit to work at the moment as he cant go anywhere on his own and wont talk for himself.

My biggest worry is that I may have been the cause of this Aspergers as I dont know what does cause this. He had a very long birth. 47.5 hours from when my waters broke and natural delivery but his head was very mis-shapen when he came out. Like a cute little cone head. Can things like this cause this.

Hi, Welcome to the site.....i have 4 children aged from 32 ...11......they all have some form of autistic traits re aspergers etc.....not dx butmy 11 year ols son has see n CAMHS......we are waiting for appoitment for them to give us feed back and tell me what she thinks he has ....he doesnt go outto play computer is his obsession.....and cant talk about pc stuff for ages .....he has meltdowns has problems with lights sounds his skin sensitive etc., .....gets anxious when out with me in car or walking ......doesnt attend school has home tutor......i can seemyself like you in the future.....my elsest son lives with partner and 1 year old son he has problems being in relationship but has bought books to help him.....i understandhow you feel i take each day as it comes and i suppose its what we get used to.........i know how you feel.......lindy

Sorry to have gone on but as I said am not used to forums or Aspergers.