Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

Precocious puberty in boys

Hi

I'm really quite concerned that my 9 year old is going through puberty. About a year ago, I noticed body odour and bought him deoderant. Whilst puberty crossed my mind, I though 'Nah, too early'. Just last week, kiddo announced that he's got body hair. In addition, hubby and I seem to be having an easier time at home, whereas school and social work respite care are having a really tough time with him. Spoke to the respite are manager and mentioned puberty. She sounded alarmed and suggested I speak to kiddo's GP. Just googled puberty in boys and see all sorts about underlying conditions. I will obviously contact our GP tomorrow, but wonder if anyone has any suggestions/experience of this. I'm really concerned further investigation by way of blood tests or an examination will prove very traumatic for kiddo.

Caroline.

what kind of underlying conditions are you concerned about?

I'm a bit baffled by the need to see your GP regarding puberty - it's hardly a medical condition!

My son started the first signs of puberty around 9 yrs too - although he still has a long way to go yet physically.... He is big for is age, and slightly overweight, both of which mke early puberty more likely. He took to using deoderant quitewell, once we spent a few months of reminding him evey day :rolleyes:

As he goes through the other "normal" stages of puberty, we will react as normal parents to a normal teenage boy - puberty is a time whe ALL chldren present challenges to their parents - ASD or NT, the challenges are the same and need to be dealt with in the same was, albeit with additional management echniques as work best for your child, and more time to assimilate the changes.

what kind of underlying conditions are you concerned about?

I'm a bit baffled by the need to see your GP regarding puberty - it's hardly a medical condition!

My son started the first signs of puberty around 9 yrs too - although he still has a long way to go yet physically.... He is big for is age, and slightly overweight, both of which mke early puberty more likely. He took to using deoderant quitewell, once we spent a few months of reminding him evey day :rolleyes:

As he goes through the other "normal" stages of puberty, we will react as normal parents to a normal teenage boy - puberty is a time whe ALL chldren present challenges to their parents - ASD or NT, the challenges are the same and need to be dealt with in the same was, albeit with additional management echniques as work best for your child, and more time to assimilate the changes.

Hi

Puberty is a normal part of growing up, however, various websites (Wikipedia, etc) state that "early development may be triggered by a disease such as a tumor or injury of the brain. Even in instances where there is no disease, unusually early puberty can have adverse effects on social behavior and psychological development, can reduce adult height potential, and may shift some life-long health risks". Going by this, early puberty (in boys, apparently signs on or before age 9) can be problematic and may conceal an underlying medical condition. A professional has actually said that this needs further investigation, and also reeled off pretty much the same as the website I've quoted which is of some concern. I've obviously bought an appropriate book and discussing things with kiddo. He's taking it in his stride.

9 is not an unusual age to start the process of puberty - in boys the average age of the first signs of puberty is age 9-14

I thought it was only classed as precocious puberty if the child was under 9 - ie 8 or less

So age 9 would be within the normal range

9 is not an unusual age to start the process of puberty - in boys the average age of the first signs of puberty is age 9-14

I thought it was only classed as precocious puberty if the child was under 9 - ie 8 or less

So age 9 would be within the normal range

Hi

Yes, apparently early puberty is on or before 9 for boys. However, in hindsight kiddo was showing signs last year i.e. aged 8, however, now there's no doubt.

C.

Hi, Ive been noticing similar with my Max, he's 10, but things started last year, just like you say, needing deoderant, hair appearing, shoulders broadening. Ive definately noticed a difference at home too, he's spending much more time in his room, doesn't seem to need us as much. Can't really offer any advise, just that your not alone, we are very similar.

Cheers

Jo

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

R's behaviour at school and social work respite club have escalated noticeably over past 6 months. I was called on Thursday to pick R up from school as he posed a health and safety risk to himself and others. He was in quite a state. Lots of other things have been happening. Discussed this with my son's GP and Psychiatrist – both are saying that 9 is right on the cusp and that he needs checked (given signs of puberty were present when he was 8) out as he may have too much testosterone, etc. Have made an appointment for next week.

C.

Edited by cmuir