Sign in to follow this  
Anneuk

VERY proud of my daughter

My daughter who is 10 and Aspie is starting secondary school very shortly and they are really trying hard to prepare her well.

One of the things they are doing is letting her and her best mate spend a whole day in class with the yr 7 following the timetable so that when they come into school it won't be so new.

Today my daughters best friends mum pulled her daughter out (even though her daughter really wants to go) as she feels it's not right that she should be a carer!!!

This of course was never the plan and she was just going as a friend (and also desperatly needs this day too as she is terrified)..

So my daughter has independently written this mum a letter, telling her that she respects her desicion but feels that sometimes people don't make accurate decisions because they don't know enough of what they are thinking about (in this case aspergers) My daughter very eloquently told her how Aspergers affects her, and that she and the friends are friends because they have a laugh and NOT because her friend looks after her. She went on to say that she doesn't need a carer but does need friends and that in her opinion thats not just something children with Aspergers want.

She finished the letter by saying she hoped that now knowing the facts that she would re consider, but if she still won't let her go then she will tell friend her all about it and help her through her first day as it will be so new to HER...

I will give her the letter tomorrow but not sure how it will be received.

Anne

Guest flutter

Well done to your daughter >:D<<'>

i will be interested to see what the response is, cos we kinda in same boat.

Not sure how much the mum is thinkin bout her daughter cos a new school, can be terrifying special needs or not, so she is holdin hef back

take care

C x

Anne,

your daughter sounds very thoughtful and a delightful young lady. I really hope the other mum takes the letter in the spirit it is intended and realises that we all have something to learn. Maybe she will realise her mistake and reverse her decision. Feel quite sorry for her daughter to be honest.

Elaine

Hi anneuk -

Sounds like a wonderful kid you've got there, and justified to be proud :dance:

As far as the letter goes, i suspect the response will be an unfavourable one, 'cos I suspect the mum will actually be feeling quite guilty to begin with - and the best line of defence in these situations is...

Most important thing is the girls friendship - let's hope that can remain intact. That's the worst thing about prejudices - it's actually grown ups who sow the seeds. I believe emphatically that left to their own devices YOUNGER kids just accept people for the 'who' rather than the 'what'.

Very best

BD :D

Anne

What a lovely sensible and mature girl you have!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Best wishes and hope things work out for her

Lisa

You have every right to be proud of such a sensible,mature attitude from your daughter.Let's hope the other girl's Mother is mature enough to admit HER mistake!xx

Have you had a response regarding the letter?..I so hope the mum is a bit more kind and understanding today...your :) daughter is a treasure. :)

wow that is a very mature thing for yr daughter to do, good luck with it. B)