mygifts1306

a question for catholics mums

dear folks,could i ask something, DS1 is 8 and going for his first communion in the next few weeks, i wish to ask other parents, what their children@S conmprehension of communion was. any thoughts are welcomed

X

mine made his today!! he is just 9. his understanding was that he can now take communion instead of a blessing, that it was a very special day, we had a huge family buffet afterwards, and he had all new clothes, as you do! and that he is now a fully fledged catholic, he went for " lessons" for a couple of months prior to this and goes to a catholic school, to be honest I havnt really questioned him on what he understands, he is my fourth and last to do it. phew.

My son aged 9 did his last year. He was prepared at school - catholic school so whole class did the preparation whether catholic or not. At the time he was calm and seemed very accepting of the whole thing, very few questions and seemed to enjoy the day. Not long after he started totally doubting his faith and decided he did not even believe in God. He became very distressed and wouldnt say why and it took ages to get out of him what he was worrying about. We explained that we cannot give him faith it has to come from within, and also that we were not cross with him for not believing and would not 'make' him believe. This was a year ago - he has now decided he might want to be a priest :lol:

Hi,

We're not catholic but my daughter was confirmed at 12yrs - we went to weekly classes for about 8 weeks prior where they talked over different sections of the bible and her understanding was quite good - at around this time and following for a couple of years she read the bible daily although it did provoke lots and lots of questions that she found difficult to understand - but at the time it went quite well.

Take care, Jb x

We go to an Anglo-Catholic church and DS was confirmed when he was 10. He did weekly lessons with friends from school- he went to a church primary school. He was fine as church provided him with a structure. There was a weekly school mass and he usually served at the altar when he got to yr 5, before that he was an altar boy on Sundays - started when he was in yr 3. During this time he was in so much trouble at school- excluded several times yet he was so good in his role in church (he walked behind the Archbishop of Canterbury with a candle in a procession when he was 9). It was so nice for him to visibly succeed in something, the priest also made a point of praising him and as Chair of Govs he knew what was happening at school.

Occasionally he questions things but we allow him to have his own views. He does seem to find the church a soothing place to be, many Sunday mornings we get to church with him stressed but once he gets into the routine he calms down.

Hope you all enjoy the day :thumbs:

hi my ds 9yrs decided last year he wanted to be a catholic. he discovered he was the only one in his class who was not a catholic. local priest was great about everything and arranged his baptism for dec 5 and his first communion for boxing day. All done quick so he was at the same point as his classmates and in recognition of his problems. he had 1-1 lessons once a week from a month before the baptism till his first communion, with a nun who had experience working with asd. not sure how much of it he really understandsbut he had great fun and he only goes to church for communion and spends most of the time sat on the floor so no one can see him, but as he insists we sit in the front row that dont really work.he really enjoyed the whole process though and we had a party after baptism but kept it simple for communion as it was on boxing day. i know a couple of special needs kids doing first communion this month and one of them has no idea what it all about, but everyone else doing it. think my son got better option because he felt really special because it was all done just for him. I should point out i was brought up a cathlic but i would prefer never to have to set foot in a church. just somthing else i have to do for my child!!!!