Sign in to follow this  
pyfan

Advice please re driving licence/ DVLA

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers and the psychologist has told us that she is reporting this DX to the DVLA. This is because during his assessment my husband told her that he didn't like driving unless alone and he has had several minor accidents over the years plus a few points on licence at different times eg 36mph in 30mph zone, although nothing recently (touch wood). He only drives locally now. I am now worried that the DVLA might take his licence away or make him re-sit a test which he might not pass, and without a car he will lose his job. I do all the family driving because he cannot cope with passengers distracting him but he is quite capable of driving the short distance to work. Also will this affect our car insurance? Has anyone actually lost their licence after diagnosis? I cannot take him to work as he works nights and we have children, also I work early mornings, we live in the country with no public transport. I have 2 medical conditions myself and our son also has AS, I did not realise that there might be any problems with the DVLA and now the whole thing is worrying me - any advice please? Thanks.

Don't panic!!!

They will probably ask for a Dr's note to confirm that your husband is well enough to drive. Several minor accidents and the occasional speeding offence does not sound concerning at all.

Perhaps you could go to the doctor with your husband to make sure he communicates the situation clearly, as he has clearly given the psychologist cause for concern.

Not being able to drive with a passenger may be a concern, but since your husband is able to make the right decision and not do this, he should not lose his licence because of that. We all have to make decisions every time we get into the car - am I too tired? Am I completely sober? It's being able to make the right decision that is important and your husband is doing that.

As you husband has admitted to the doctor that he has problem driving, they would have had no option than to report this to the DVLA.

Unfortunately you are judged ether fit to drive or not, there nothing in between.

To late for you now but best not to say anything about driving.

It may be that your husband will be asked to take a driving test.

Not much help, all you can realy do is whit and see.

I thought I read on the forum recently-ish that you didn't have to tell them now, unless you/someone else had concerns??

Or did I imagine this? :hypno:

Bid :)

I think the 'if it effects' advice is very difficult because you may not make a correct decision, or my concern would be that it could be used against you if involved in an incident with the other party claiming it did effect you and wasn't reported.

I think Tally's advice of going with your husband to the GP is very sensible. I'm not able to drive for other medical reasons, and the DVLA managed to make a mess of their records, at one point, a week after I'd been discharged from hospital following a seizure, sending me back my licence and telling me I was now fit to drive!! :oops: My GP had to correct them, and I saw the form she was sent to complete. The mental health one (which unfortunately AS would I think come under) is completely inappropriate to our difficulties (if makes the DLA forms look completely perfect and fitting to ASDs!! :rolleyes:) so it would be important that it is completed correctly or a covering letter sent, else it could be processed as a tick box form and he could lose his licence when not necessary.

I checked with the DVLA...

If it affects your driving - notify them. If it doesn't affect your driving, you don't need to notify. If you're not sure, consult your Dr.

Thank you Rainbows for clarifying this point.

Sadly Pyfan, from what you describe, I think there was a duty to report your husband. I know it may seem that driving at 36 mph in a 30 limit isn't a dreadful motoring offence, but this is actually very, very dangerous. Two years ago my DD was knocked down by a car, and the police said the only reason she wasn't killed was because the driver was going below the limit of 30...even so she has been left with only one functioning hand as a result of her injuries. I've just Googled, and if you hit a pedestrian *At 20 mph 5% will die *At 30 mph 45% will die *At 40 mph 85% will die.

I really hope that any assessment proves that he is OK to drive short distances so that his job isn't affected.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Thank you for all your replies. I can see why the psychologist feels she has to report it as for all she knows maybe he isn't safe to drive and she is doing her job. It's just that the impact on us would be so great and the fact that none of this occurred to me beforehand, it has come as a shock and something else to worry about. I think the main thing is that he knows his limitations but as you say, the DVLA may see it in more black and white terms. Will see what happens......Thanks