bid

The Apprentice

I don't think I would fall for anybody who is witless enough to appear on this programme. But yes, he's the least obnoxious of the male candidates (which isn't saying much). :rolleyes:

That Melody has to go - she's irritating me already. :fight: "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon" . Remember that for your next job interview, folks!

Compulsive viewing - yet again. :) Are they going to have two episodes every week?

K x

I thought the best bloke there was the bloke at the fruit and veg market who stood with his arms folded and smirked at the idiots running round in their power suits trying to 'close the deal'. If anyone get a job with Sugar it should be him. He just kept telling them, as if you'd tell a three year old, the cases were £9.50 each until they ended up paying the price as if it was them doing the deal while he stood and thought what absolute plonkers they all were! :lol:

~ Mel ~

One of the key taboos broken on the Apprentice is that the clothes you wear should reflect the job you do - nothing more or less.

If you are stupid (as most of them are) wearing an expensive suit makes you look even more so.

I do know that the casting for these things follows a definite pattern. Only 4 of the contestants are potential winners, the rest are picked for their entertainment value alone. And a good job they make of it too.

The "SAS are you tough enough" programs followed a similar tack. Only those with endurance sport backgrounds were ever going to get anywhere but they included lots of gym rats because watching them implode due to over inflated egos and lack of endurance fitness was such fun.

Edited by dm2010

I can't stand Edna. She scares me with her 'business psychology' background, whatever that may be and her horrible way with people - no respect, no time, no care for others. :ph34r:

The inventor guy is quite interesting in having a different background from normal to most contestants, but I'm not convinced he has the necessary skills and way with others to get that far - but we'll see.

Kathryn

I think you are forgetting that she was "personally taught by the Dalai Lama"!!!

Ah yes, the Dalai Llama, that celebrated entrepreneur and business guru. Just the kind of thing to have on your cv. I can't wait for the first acid comment from LordAlan regarding that !

Couldn't work with Edna either. She doesn't listen to anybody. And her presentation was rubbish despite all her posturing.

K x

Kathryn

I think you are forgetting that she was "personally taught by the Dalai Lama"!!!

I haven't been watching this, so wouldn't know, but when she says 'Dalai Lama' could she possibly mean 'Dolly the Sheep'?

As an aside into the human resources comment, it is one area into which those with a forensic psychology background can enter into. I seem to remember reading that some where, possibly the BPS website. Not what i'd choose to do for a living, being not entirely convinced i am human :D

It's been said more than once that Young (formerly Junior) Apprentice is like The Apprentice meets Bugsy Malone. In which case I reckon Mahamad in his white suit reminds me of the boy who plays the piano at the end of the final spurge scene. Altogether now, "We could have been anything that we wanted to be..."

I watched the first episode of Young Apprentice, having watched the adult version earlier this year - the first time I'd watched it properly. The youth one is basically the same as the adult one, except with younger candidates - brasher and more arrogant.

In that first episode, Sugar said, "This isn't reality TV - this is reality!" Well, it might seem like that to him and the contestants, but to those of us watching, all the evidence is to the contrary. In real business, no one would be expected to learn in a couple of days a business they've never tried before, and the boss doesn't deliberately whip up an argument like Sugar does. Anyone wanting to run a business wouldn't learn anything from watching the programme - it's just the X Factor with a business setting instead of a music one.

And all this macho gesturing you get from both Sugar and the candidates (including the women) is very 1980s.

Wasn't the final episode so unrealistic? Zara and James got all the credit for their computer games despite not having written any of the underlying code, and relying on their fired team-mates to come up with the ideas. And surely James's plan for what to do with the prize money (i.e. pay his university tuition fees) should have been stated when he applied - why was he allowed to get this far?

Personally I preferred Crazy Cabinet to Piggy Panic. But it makes me feel quite old to realise I'm a member of the last generation to have experience a female prime minister... :o