Sign in to follow this  
Peebs

Diagnosed a week ago

Hi,

I'm new (obviously) and was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome a week ago. I am 30, so it's been a fair old while coming. I also have dyspraxia. I don't really know what to do now, or what I want to do. I have worked in the past, but generally speaking I'm not very good at having jobs. I'm also not entitled to any benefits as I live with my partner who earns not very much, so I'm not as independent as I'd like to be. I'm only just starting to find out about things like DLA and social services assessments.

i was officially diagnosed with Clumsy Child Syndrome ( Dyspraxia) modern medical term for it now! and that was fight /struggle /battle to get that thanks to 'forceful' strong willed mum fighting my corner as my mum was called 'overprotective' mother by junior school SENCO and paedtrician said i didn't have enough signs to match the diagnosis when my mum had long long list wrote down in black and white! i was always falling over 'nothing there' forgetful when just told something etc could go on and on really won't bore you silly! lol but felt dyspraxia didn't 'fit' everything going on seemed more to the 'missing jigsaw' unanswered signs left mystery as was so many just be one condition there something else going on in background hidden beneath dyspraxia. years later early teens found out this was A.S too! so can personally sympathise and empathise with your situation! dyspraxia didn't explain missing gaps in between .... nothing added up completely!

i know was alot younger than you when diwscovered what was wrong though! you aren't ALONE in this! hard to adjust to get your head around official diagnosis to hear the words have written down in black and white will take time just take it slow day by day isn't easy thing to do i know but take chunk by chunk step by step don't rush too quick take your time and give yourself time to digest process information surrounding the whole 'A.S' world that never knew existed may bring whole load of emotions/feelings with it just go with however it takes you! as had more time to get used to the official diagnosis of dyspraxia!

hope this helps abit knowing some one else like YOU!

XKLX

Thank you, nail on head there. Yes, I was finally dxed with dyspraxia and ataxic cerebral palsy at 21, but it didn't connect all the dots...

People around me are finding it strange that I'm taking a while to get my head around it, because I was the one who pushed for the diagnosis.

It does help to know there are others like me, yes.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

I was diagnosed with AS about 4 years ago now. It can be a funny time, so give yourself a bit of time to get used to it.

I don't think that relying on your partner means you are not independent. Presumably your partner is getting something out of the relationship otherwise you would probably not still be together!

Do seek advice if you decide to apply for DLA as getting the right wording can be important.

Have you and your partner looked into Working Tax Credits at all? If you live together you have to make a joint claim. You may well be entitled to more if your disability makes it difficult to get a job or affects the kind of work you can do - a DLA award can be used as evidence of this, but you may be able to use other kinds of evidence too. It's still worth making a claim now and updating when/if you have evidence of a disability as you may already be entitled to something.

glad you decided to 'push' for an official diagnosis of A.S makes situations that you got in mess you get in sticky situations etc can make clearer are you going to research support for A.S or dyspraxia? like the NAS? i would also highly suggest getting advice on benefits you're entitled too from welfare rights they will inform you on what you are entitled too due to your cirmstances? are also help you fill out forms for benefits and know how best to word it!

good luck with it all!

XKLX

Thanks all for the welcome/advice. Have sent off for NAS membership. Not entitled to tax credits as have just over the limit in savings (not actual savings, father died and need that money as house deposit as all the money I'll ever have). Would be nice to be able to get out and about more, though.

Just remember it all swings and roundabouts and being an aspie/asd or whatever you have will have many positive benefits.While there is the myth of it being obsseive/neurotic and a million other misinterepretations ,i'd be very suprised if you did'nt have a creative side ,and remember that creativity covers a multitude of subjects.If you are an artist or musician /writer or whatever you could try to earn a living from it.REmember,when creativity pays ...it pays well and usually allows you plenty of time on your own.The benefits system is appalling,rewarding lazy alkies and junkies with long term rates to provide even more money for their recidivist addictions while being a non specific/undiagnosed looney you just get treated as neurotic and workshy.Examine all those creative impulses,pictures and dialouges in your head,stuff that you most probably thought was just 'madness',its not.Its the natural result of being hypersensitive and hyperaware.Love your'shadow' self as this is a core centre of your individual being.An artist should charge a mininmum of 25 pound and hour .Now at that rate you'd easily be able to earn more than the miserable social security system will give you based on 4 hours a week.Trust yourself...if you don't you will be at the mercy of a benefit/healthcare system that does'nt care if you rot in a ditch and a system that has NO POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES except keeping you alive at basic existance levels (providing you shop at liddle and Aldi).All them crazy thoughts and feelings are the gold.Most of our cultural icons are fundamentally MAD and many have had a long time of struggle against'mental illness/insecurity/lack of confidence.