smiley1590

healthy lunch ?

hey everyone

i want any ideas on healthy lunches i have white bread sandwiches choc spread,cheese but getting bored fancy a change for the better .... i have done grated extra mature cheese and ham salad in square lunch box tomorrow ( cucumber,lettuce, cherry tomatoes,onion ) i also thinking about having a lunch my best mate made me which quick and easy simple pasta and green pesto or pasta and salad? thinking of tuna too.... anything else you can think of?

XKLX

Tuna or chicken goes lovely with pesto in a sandwich or salad.

Switching white bread for brown will give you more energy in the afternoons. Chocolate spread is nice with peanut butter. not particularly healthy, but yum! You could have it for dessert.

hey everyone

i want any ideas on healthy lunches i have white bread sandwiches choc spread,cheese but getting bored fancy a change for the better .... i have done grated extra mature cheese and ham salad in square lunch box tomorrow ( cucumber,lettuce, cherry tomatoes,onion ) i also thinking about having a lunch my best mate made me which quick and easy simple pasta and green pesto or pasta and salad? thinking of tuna too.... anything else you can think of?

XKLX

I hate food in the main, and find the whole process of food and eating tedious... However, having said that there are a few things that make food options healthier.

Extra mature cheese is less healthy than mild, there is more fat and salt in extra mature cheese, I find mild cheddar to be tasteless so I go with medium or mature and use less.

Wholegrain breads, pasta, rice, are supposed to be healthier and give you more energy over time as they release energy slowly

Chicken is always an old favourite for healthy - but if you buy the packaged stuff you should check the ingredients and see which is the healthiest option (salt, fat, sugar)

Adding fruit is always good and many types can easily fit in a lunch-box

Salad stuff is also good - a lot of books and programmes say that you can eat as much salad stuff as you like - but I would double check this to make sure!

If you ask your GP they can sometimes refer you to a nutrionist who will explain everything for you and if you don't like this idea you can get most of the info from

NHS healthy lifestyle link

Darkshine :P

Extra mature cheese is less healthy than mild, there is more fat and salt in extra mature cheese, I find mild cheddar to be tasteless so I go with medium or mature and use less.

But you would eat less if you eat a stronger flavoured cheese. Plus it tastes really nice.

TBH, white bread and chocolate spread are really not that healthy, and don't forget that cheese is very high in fat.

You would be better off with brown bread (lots of different types to choose from: wholemeal, granary, etc) or if you really don't like those, at least the 'half-and half' bread is better than white.

Bid :)

Salads based on grains (burghul, couscous, quinoa or barley) or pulses are good because you can make them the day before and they don't taste the worse for a night in the fridge.

If you have access to a microwave at work, you can cook a jacket potato in under 10 minutes. Great way of using up a small amount of leftover curry, casserole etc.

If you have access to a microwave at work, you can cook a jacket potato in under 10 minutes. Great way of using up a small amount of leftover curry, casserole etc.

This week I tried to see if you can microwave a swede like a jacket potato. Didn't really work...

exchange white for wholemeal, even wholemeal pasta.

i been eating my favourite is houmous and beetroot sandwiches. boiled or poached egg salad

basically u can have anything with meat in such as chicken, ham, fish- dont forget your greens- vegetables

Or make your own!

Aoelienne has suggested making your own baked beans. It doesn't really matter who it is aimed at since it is a completely inoffensive suggestion.

Aoelienne has suggested making your own baked beans. It doesn't really matter who it is aimed at since it is a completely inoffensive suggestion.

For what its worth I thought it was about baked potatoes :lol: but I agree that I don't think anything was meant to be offensive - seemed harmless and constructive to me :)

Its nice seeing healthy ideas though, just a shame I can't find greater enthusiasm...

Unless people know how to make healthy cakes, biscuits and junk food..... :devil:

For what its worth I thought it was about baked potatoes :lol: but I agree that I don't think anything was meant to be offensive - seemed harmless and constructive to me :)

Its nice seeing healthy ideas though, just a shame I can't find greater enthusiasm...

Unless people know how to make healthy cakes, biscuits and junk food..... :devil:

going to ask my friend, who her mum is a slimming world leader for the healthy recipe for cakes so its healthy and not unhealthy.

I am on the little black dress diet and i loose 2lbs a week.

That'd be cool :D I wonder if they still taste as good as when they are unhealthy :unsure:

Is there really a diet called a little black dress diet?

I never diet so know nothing about them really - I don't believe in them but they work for some people - my problem is trying to get enough calories but in a healthy way - and within the constraints of my eating problems - I've got it up to about 1000 a day now, but it still drops to less than that some days and its funny cuz I'm slightly overweight (the result of not going out and not moving enough) if I actually could do half the things I wanted to do I'd probably end up with the dizziness and blackouts again...

yes ive been doing it for about 4 weeks now and im doing really well.google it there even a book on it. basically using meat,fish, wholemeal pasta, wholemeal bread,smoothies and all that.

here is recipes u be surprised what happens its lovely and the first ever diet i can stick too :)

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/lifestyle/little-black-dress-diet/recipes/menu/

Edited by Special_talent123

Glad its working for you - it looks very healthy :)

I checked out the link, and despite seeing the lurverly lorraine (who I don't like for no real reason other than she irritates me) and I really tried hard and forced myself not to close the page instantly (joking) :lol: (slightly joking) :lol: (sorry I wasn't joking at all) :oops:

But, I did read the 28 days of food and unfortunately I would starve until day 19 when I could eat egg and chips - and that's assuming the egg can be fried and even then I can only eat half an egg anyway and a really small handful of chips :D

Trust me, I'm useless with food - but I'll keep checking the board just in case (I try to balance out my problems with attempts at being open minded and trying new things) its just that I hate nearly everything new I try :wallbash: I keep trying as often as I can though, and it is interesting to see all the healthy ideas and think about different ways of cooking things too :)

this is healthy diet- and you can boil and poach and scramble the egg. The chips u have make yourself. This dress diet isnt done by lorraine.

I have a pudding in my black dress diet book which im going to try and make for 21st :)

Edited by Special_talent123

I know :) its just she freaked me out by having her piccie at the top ;)

I can't imagine any other type of egg with chips other than fried - its like these stupid rules exist in my head that I just can't break - I eat scrambled egg but can't cook it cuz the start looks like sick - and it has to go with toast and sometimes baked beans too - but its difficult to stop it all touching each other so I end up having to build barriers and - never mind....

And I can do poached eggs but they have to be on toast with brown sauce :D

Can't have a fried egg with anything other than fry up or with burger and chips, or on its own with chips and bread and butter :wallbash:

As for boiled eggs... er no... but I can make a wicked egg mayo

Can do an omlette too - but I only eat them plain with the ever faithful cheap brand baked beans (from a tin)

These are just the egg rules - if we went through every food I eat we would have war and peace - oh and there's one other very crucial egg rule!

If anyone so much as whispers the word egg before I cook it - I can't stand the thought of eating it and I have to cook something else - double wallbash for that one :rolleyes:

Ok :) but then I couldn't have it again for at least a week ;) and I forgot to mention that if I don't cook those things to within 10% margin of error to my idea of "properly cooked" then I can't eat it - the pressure

I never used to mind using the grill instead of shallow frying - I oven cook things like chips, don't own a chip pan - but the grill is built into the oven and only one can be used at a time, and they are both electric and really useless.

As an example sometimes I have crumpets, I grill them, and put margarine on 'em. It takes 20 minutes to grill them - can you believe it? 20 blooming minutes - years ago when I used my parents gas grill it only took a few!

The thing really is the bane of my life - why on earth would someone design a cooker where you can't use the grill and the oven at the same time is beyond me...

Probably ;) but when I say "my house" I meant the rented shared house I live in with carer and co - the kitchen here is quite small, the one I had when I lived in a bedsit was bigger and that's saying something! :lol:

Anyway... back to the food... I've said enough for now - but I'll be back :devil: thanks special talent :thumbs:

But don't microwave a swede wink.gif

Although you can microwave a sweet potato. Which has a lower GI than a conventional spud, don'tcha know...

GI [glycaemic index] measures the effect of your food on blood glucose levels. It’s a rank list index for foods based on how quickly your blood sugar levels will increase after ingestion.

Link