Nathan

Hi

Greetings,

Signed up as I was looking for other Aspies after recently being diagnosed at age 38.

When I was diagnosed I realised that it explained a lot! My awkwardness in social situations, my preference of being left the hell alone to get on with my own things, my obsessive nature when I happen upon something new and the depression I suffered for the majority of my adult life when my mind doesn't have something to occupy it.

It all came about as I noticed my young nephew's behaviour and characteristics were also my behaviour and characteristics, then he was diagnosed with having Asperger's so I thought I'd get checked and viola!

Though I don't think I want to pay the psychiatrist £160 so he'll put his name on a piece of paper; seeing as there's no treatment anyway, what's the point!

Currently I'm doing a research degree while working as a graphic designer and desperately looking for a job with minimal human contact.

NK

Greetings,

Signed up as I was looking for other Aspies after recently being diagnosed at age 38.

Though I don't think I want to pay the psychiatrist £160 so he'll put his name on a piece of paper; seeing as there's no treatment anyway, what's the point!

Hi Nathan and welcome. I am at a later stage in life and have not been formally diagnosed. Like you, I wonder at the value of a piece of paper. From what I have gleaned from my own research I am at the milder end of the spectrum, but firmly on it nonetheless.

But I am curious. How were you diagnosed?

Hi, Scafell Pike; there's some people I know who work in mental health and when I raised my suspicions they sort of laughed and said 'we could have told you'! They pointed me in the right direction.

So I went to the docs, got referred and after the assessment when it was confirmed, then got told about the fees and that's when I said no thanks!

Edited by Nathan

Hi i was diagnosed when i was 16 and have had many 'oh yeah' experiences since.

im currently studying for a postgrade cert/dip at the uni of birmingham in Autism.

Hi Nathan :)

I have the "bit of paper" and it hasn't done anything so far - I watched it for a minute yesterday, but it just sat there - I'll let you know if it ever helps :lol:

So I went to the docs, got referred and after the assessment when it was confirmed, then got told about the fees and that's when I said no thanks!

So you managed to get a diagnosis for free! Well done. :notworthy:

Welcome Nathen,I'm a parent of 5 with two going through diagnosis,we' re all very friendly here.xx

So you are saying the NHS consultant who you were referred to by your NHS GP wanted you to give him £160 to put his name to a piece of paper? The whole point of the NHS is "free" health care for all. Talk to your GP about the fact they wanted money off you as it sounds like you were being taken advantage of (unless you specifically discussed with your GP being seen as a private patient).

I got mine for free, if the consultant had discussed any fees I would have considered reporting him to whoever the relevant authorities are. When the consultant finished my assessment he asked if I wanted a copy of the GP's letter sending home. I said yes and have that as my proof. Not only is it enough, it also gives lots of information about my diagnosis and what rights and recommendations he had.

TBH I prefer to be certain, I am much happier at the prospect that if I need to rely on an official diagnosis (tribunals, etc.) then it's one hoop that I don't need to jump through and with it comes certain rights and expectations which are enshrined in law by various acts (providing that you notify your employers, etc). I know that even with the law, people still experience discrimination (I'm not that naive) but at least you have somewhere to go if you ever find yourself suffering as a result of your Aspergers.

Cheers for the replies, y'all. Yeah, kinda bucking the fee is me being cheap, and a principle, so I have the diagnosis but no paperwork. I notified my employers and they just said 'fair enough' and let me get on with it. They just see me as the guy who has quirks but works really hard!

Hi Nathan,

Sorry, but I'm completely confused! I don't understand if you had an NHS referral, why you were then asked to pay??

And in all honesty, I would feel very uncomfortable about any kind of 'diagnosis', NHS or private, that was based on one appointment alone; it should be an assessment process. Were your parent/s involved in this assessment at all, as it is important that a clear picture of your childhood development is part of the whole process.

Bid :)

It was a private referral as the NHS is garbage and wouldn't go near me. Given my age and the lateness of the diagnosis I thought better of paying for an 'official' seal on it. No family were involved as they kind of dismissed it saying there was nothing wrong, just like they do with my nephew!

Prior to seeing the psychiatrist I made a complete list of behavioural characteristics and patterns. Apparently the Doc said making detailed lists was a sign too! Hahaha, can't win. All the signs are there, the name was attached but I ignore them all and just continue to be me. What else can I be? Hmmm.

Edited by Nathan

Your story just doesn't add up. Dazwan said:

So you are saying the NHS consultant who you were referred to by your NHS GP wanted you to give him £160 to put his name to a piece of paper? The whole point of the NHS is "free" health care for all.

To which you replied:

Yeah, kinda bucking the fee is me being cheap, and a principle, so I have the diagnosis but no paperwork.

which acknowledges that it was an NHS consultant / NHS GP, but then you go on to say:

It was a private referral as the NHS is garbage and wouldn't go near me.

Well make up your mind!! :rolleyes:

Also, £160 is not the going rate for a private ASD dx. And not having family involved would also invalidate any dx as it is a requirement of dx that the clinician has evidence of the difficulties having been present across your lifespan.

And not having family involved would also invalidate any dx as it is a requirement of dx that the clinician has evidence of the difficulties having been present across your lifespan.

But suppose no close family members are any longer available?

There seems to have been some confusion and presumption here. Maybe I wasn't clear.

I went to the docs, the doc recommended private assessment (the NHS were not involved after this point). My charming employers used the private health benefits we have for the assessment, the psychiatrist I ended up with said the 'official stamp' from him would cost me £160 for his time and signature. Considering my age and lateness of diagnosis I chose not to pay £160 I cannot afford. Life goes on.