Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trinity

Aaaaaaaaarrrgh

Guest Trinity

Hi everyone I am having a real dilemma My son Nathan is 8 he is in a mainstream school not a very good school at all in fact it may being knocked down in a few years time. the problem is this he has been attending this school since nursery he has had a catalogue of problems from not attending nursery to having no friends when he was at nursery he found it extremely hard because there was no structure it was imaginary play all the way this used to cause too much stress for us both so he would stay off school, the problem is I have seen my SENco she has told me that there is nothing wrong with my son, I told her he has really really bad meltdowns every day when he returns from school these are steadily getting worse I am afraid that he will hurt myself or my daughter I am worried also that he is finding harder and harder each day to control himself at school and my hit another child I need to know where to go to from here I have no idea and am recieving no help from my school even though they have been sent a detailed assesment from his consultant and don't even get me started on getting him statemented all I can say there aaaaaaarrrrgh Do you think I should try another school? :angry: Thanx everyone :bat:

Edited by Trinity

we moved Com in Y1 - it was the right thing to do but for him it was going back to where he was at nursery (the primary he was at first didn't have a nursery but he wanted to go there with his cousin) and to his 2 friends so it was a very easy transition, it is not usually that easy

I am not saying you should move him but you could go and look at other schools and talk to their sencos - be very careful, take a friend with you, don't tell your boy until you have decided whether there is another school that could meet his needs

in the meantime talk to the advisor for autism or the team (some LEAs have advisors others have teams) - there should be one and your responsible officer or social inclusion department should be able to give you their number - look them up on the LEA website

Zemanski

Hi Trinity,

It worries me that there are so many SENCOs that feel they can 'undiagnose' our children, we had one that did the same. My son's SENCO told us that all he needed was a good kick up the bum :angry:

I hope you don't mind, but can I ask a couple of questions?

Has Nathan already got his diagnosis?

I know it's a bad subject but, has Nathan got a statement, if not, have you applied for it/has Nathan be assessed for one?

There are several things you could do but it depends on what stage you are at with diagnosis etc. It is helpful if you start making notes of incidents/conversations with school as they are always helpful later on.

It sounds like Nathan is obviously not coping very well and he is letting it all out when he gets home.

Annie

Hi Trinity,

I'm baffled by your SENCO's behaviour, but not suprised ( if that makes sense).

Before my son got his dx, he and us were treated as if he was a naughty boy. Things have changed since he has been dx with AS, but we've still had to push, push, push.

I'm quite new to all this as my son was only given a dx this year ( it tooks years to get that!), so I'm not that able to give advice, however, there are some very knowledgeable people on this site, who I am sure will be able to give you some very helpful ideas.

It could very well be a good idea, to inform the school in writting, that you feel your child could at anytime react violently at school, due to his increased stress levels. At least this will go some way in supporting you, if an incident occurs.

Dito to what Zemanski said - it wouldn't hurt to look at other schools and definately contact the LEA

Good Luck, tizz