Sign in to follow this  
Baboushka

Visiting independent schools

Hi all

The LEA have agreed to fund an independent school for my 14 year old son who has been out of mainstream education for 18 months - he was diagnosed with Aspergers in June 2010. There's a choice of 5 schools from outside the county and arrangements are now underway for me to visit the schools in the first instance. 1 of the schools sent an OT and teacher to meet my son yesterday in his current education provision, another school are visiting him next week. It has been a hard fight for my son to receive an education - his proposed statement was issued in February but the final statement hasn't been issued yet as they haven't got a school to name (I've challenged the lea about this and threatened to go to the local govt ombudsman - I won't go into that here!).

I have finally got to the stage which I was aiming for but now I feel lost - I'm scared and I don't know what I need to consider in choosing a school, also I don't know what questions to ask. I've looked the schools up on the net but I feel clueless - how do I know they will suit my son? Also there's the question of residential v travelling to school - some of the schools will mean an hours travelling each way whilst others would only be viable if he boards.

I'd appreciate if members on here could give me some advice - I feel so lost :(

My son is aware that there is a boarding option and whilst he was initially surprised at this (to say the least) he's open to this. I just want the best for him.

thanks

Having visited many schools (mainstream and independent) for my son, I would say you need to visit the schools. You will just "know" when it is the right one (I visited more than 20 schools and only one was right for my son, even though most of them were good schools). At the "right" school, the children were all like my son ("robust") and I knew the things they offered would work with my son.

I presume you have reports on your son? Are they all NHS/LA professionals, or are any of them independent?

Those reports should make up the Statement. You should take the proposed Statement and reports and any potential school should read them. And you may also need to add your own opinion regarding his needs and what you feel he needs to meet those needs.

I presume you know all his diagnoses (does he have just Aspergers or additional co-morbid diagnoses/difficulties such as Dyslexia, Sensory issues, Dyspraxia, Anxiety etc). The school need to be able to meet all his needs within their fees. If he has any additional needs you may need to get a quote for meeting them within the school and for the school to buy that in. For example my son has dyslexia, and the most appropriate school does not have a trained dyslexia teacher, so we have had to provide costs for that, and having done that the independent school have confirmed they would provide a qualified dyslexia teacher from within their normal fees.

What do you think about day place or boarding. Will the LA agree to fund boarding, or would that entail going to Tribunal?

Many schools offer a 3 days trial, and that would include staying overnight if boarding.

Look at the classroom environment. Is it small, low arousal. What professionals are on site (SALT, OT, Dyslexia Teacher, access to Clinical Psychology or CAHMS etc).

Look at the teaching approaches eg. do they use toe by toe, widigit, thrass etc.

Look at the qualifications and training of the staff.

Look at the teacher:pupil ratio.

What is the academic level within the school/class your son would be in. Does it match his current level.

What is the social and emotional level within the school/class, and does it match your son.

Do pupils take GCSEs, or other exams or are both available.

Does the school go onto age 19, and does it feed through to any particular college?

Does the school teach life skills, social interaction/communication/relationships etc.

But you must go and visit, and sit in on the class they would place him in. You need to feel like the children in the school are like your son.

Edited by Sally44

Hi there

Thanks ever so much for your replies - they're really helpful. All the schools have been sent the paperwork and reports prepared by professionals - there's stacks of information. I haven't provided any independent information although I did a very full report on my own views to add to the assessment.

Sally the questions you've listed are great - I hadn't thought of half of these and will take a list of questions to ask. I was so lost and didn't know where to start but will use your list as a very good starting point and add to it.

It's so stressful - I feel so grateful to tap into other people's experiences and advice on this site x

I agree with Kazzen. Having been in a similar situation to you, we really did 'just know' when we visited the school that was right for my son. You need to go narrow down the field based on all the things that Sally has suggested, then visit your short list and see how you feel about each one.

Good luck! I can remember I felt overwhelmed with the responsibilty of having to make such a choice.

Bid :)

I went to visit quite a few schools and was armed with a list of questions. I felt like I was interviewing the school lol. Once the questions were asked we were then shown round. Some of the schools were really open and let us go in classes but some seemed to just want to answer the questions and that was it. Make sure you see a class in lesson and preferably the year group/class your child will be joining. You'll know when you find the right school :)

I'll have a look to see if I can find the questions I asked and will post later :)