Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Not fulfilling SM, but not causing problems

Ds's statement clearly sates that he should have differentiated PE. That was pretty much the only thing that his primary school absolutely insisted on (and I added in that if he had differentiated PE, it must be with a qualified and experienced named professional :thumbs: )

SInce starting secondary school in September, he has joined in with his class PE.

On the first week, I called the PE dept and discussed this with them, and they said that there were no problems with DS joining in the class PE and they wold see how it went....

I'm feeling a bit ambiguous about this - I do believe he would benefit from differentiated PE as he could do with some basic sklls and co-ordination work, but then again, he stands out enough without withdrawing him from lessons unecessarily :unsure: If he can particiapte in group PE, it may help build some bonds....

So, should I push for his Statement to be fulfilled? Am I setting myself up for future non-fulfillment if I don't insist? And what has happened to the money I assume was set asidefor his "suitably qualified and expereinced named professonal"? CAn I ask that be transferred into alternative/more usueful stuff (such as socisl skills group work whichhe would REALLY benefit from)?

Do I need to i nitiate a full SM review or can I take a wait and see appraoch as the PE dept want?

advice would be appreciated

thanks

Difficult one, isn't it. I'm usually all for compliance with the Statement: it is, after all, a legal document and not much point in having them if they're not adhered to. I can see why you'd want to insist on this provision if you had to fight to get it in there in the first place!

On the other hand you don't want to make a fetish of it. What's the ultimate goal here? Your son isn't going to win Olympic gold, but if he is able to participate in school PE at a level where he's comfortable and accepted by his peers, maybe that is the best outcome? If he does need further intensive work on his physical skills maybe this can be done at a different time so he isn't missing out on group lessons where, as you say, a lot of social stuff is happening as well.

Maybe the "wait and see" relaxed approach would be best for the moment if your son is happy. Then raise the issue at the next annual review when you have a clearer idea of how it's going.

Have you talked to your son? What does he feel about it?

K x

TBH the ultimate goal is to get him the best all round education that I can...

DS says that he wants to join in with class PE (I think its been gymnastics type work this term), and is looking forward to doing rugby, cricket and similar team games. But at primary school they were unable to get him to grasp the concept of any team game, or even to stay on the pitch. He is hypersentitive to touch and pain, so I really can't see rugby is going to be a good idea :whistle: physically he would really benefit from basic skills and co-ordination work, but socially, I would be ecstatic if he could stay with his peers throughout the whole day.... I would prefer the social to the physical, as I can do physical stuff out of school.

Which is why I've left it for now.... Got a parents evening next week though, and thought I'd pick people's brains here to see if I'm setting myself up for more problems down the line if I don't remind them about the SM now....

Hi KezT,

If it were me, I'd def. leave him to enjoy PE with his peers and, hopefully, he'll make friendships and cement bonds during these lessons. Separating him from the rest of his class to go and do something on his own, to me, would be totally counter-productive. As you say, it sets him apart and he'd miss out on so much. If he is coping well and enjoying the lessons and getting stuck in with the rest of his classmates, I don't see any advantages at all to disrupting this. I'd see it as a massive positive that he wasn't able to participate during primary school but now is, I'd see that as huge progress and want to encourage it not make it stop.

~ Mel ~

A tough one.

But if he has a need for therapy ....

What about if he takes part in the PE he is able to do, but during football/rugby etc when he will struggle with the physical contact, he had motor co-ordination work - which the school maybe able to pair him with someone - he can't be the only one with co-ordination problems.

The problem with provision, is that if it isn't put in place, then the school/LA may say he doesn't need it QED and you never get anything further without a fight.

But, there is also no point unless your child is on board, so maybe talk to him first and see what he thinks. After a cold, wet, muddy football game he will probably agree to do something else.

A tough one.

But if he has a need for therapy ....

What about if he takes part in the PE he is able to do, but during football/rugby etc when he will struggle with the physical contact, he had motor co-ordination work - which the school maybe able to pair him with someone - he can't be the only one with co-ordination problems.

The problem with provision, is that if it isn't put in place, then the school/LA may say he doesn't need it QED and you never get anything further without a fight.

But, there is also no point unless your child is on board, so maybe talk to him first and see what he thinks. After a cold, wet, muddy football game he will probably agree to do something else.

I'm sure he will go right off the idea once he realises he has to play outside!!! he doesn't like outside, or mud, or being touched LOL

Thanks for the reply's everyone - I thi k we will stick with the wait and see attitude for now...

Been thinking about this one.

In general terms, a child does not necessarily have to be taught separately to be taught differentiated.

I would have thought that in a subject like PE there is a lot of differentiated teaching going on all the time.

A good PE teacher will do this as second nature, not even thinking of it as such.

Now if the issue is that it says in the statement that a child should have a particular type of PE lesson then that would be a different thing.

As far as funding is concerned. Depends on how the statement is funded and how it is worded. Does it set an amount of time for 1-2-1 PE lessons? If it is funded out of delegated funding then it is realy up to the school how they use their funding, as long as the terms of the statement are met. If it has funding attached then it should be clear were that funding is being used. Remember that even with attached funding there is also scope for the school to provide more support out of their delegated funding.

Going off track a little. There will be cases where it make good use of funding to support a child in the class who does not have a statement or where it is not stated in the statement that they require 1-2-1 support, if by providing that support the class teacher is able to spent less time away from whole class teaching and therefor benefiting the whole class.

Edited by chris54

I just wanted to add that in my own son's Statement it says that he will have 30 mins per day motor/co-ordination work from a TA trained by an OT. This will be working towards specific OT targets in many settings [including classroom, playtime etc]and part of that will include work in PE lessons to work on his core stability and muscle strength. That is mainly because he currently cannot join in much because he gets so tired because he has low muscle tone and not core strength at all. Whether he does that just with her, or his PE lesson is differentiated and he joins in with the others is up to them.

In addition to that he will also receive a weekly 1:1 session with the OT for core strength/motor co-ordination, and a separate session for a sensory integration programme.