Sign in to follow this  
007paul007

Advice for a friend please

Hi I have a friend that has asked me for advice regarding an incident where a 14 yearold child with Autism , ADHD and Dyspraxia is being charged with an assualt of a teacher .

Apprarently the teacher pushed the child out of the clash by using his chest and when the school phoned and the mother went to collect her child , the teacher was ok only been winded as the boy apparently hit him, the teacher is an x Army guy.

But the next or to afterwards the teacher went to the police and the boy is going to be charged with an assault, and most probarbly end up with a caution , the head teacher is not getting involved with the incident and the boy is still being teached by this teacher.

Any advice of where I point this person for advice apart from the CAB !

Thanks for reading this.

I agree with Nellie, contact IPSEA and/or NAS and sooner rather than later. It would be interesting to note the schools reaction to the incident. Has ANY action been taken by them in respect of this incident? If not, the lack of reaction speaks volumes to me. If any action has been taken, what was it?However, I would advise you to tell your friend to not allow their child to accept the caution without getting advice from above.

Cautions do come back to bite people.

I also agree with the others to contact IPSEA or NAS. The other thing is as it happened in school I think school should investigate as well and I would probably say that the parents go to police as well as I think pushing the child by the chest?? Autism, ADHD means that child is one with special needs, so shouldnt be treated like it was....

Maybe not a good help, but thats what I would do probably.....

Good luck and big hugs for your friends...and son and yourself.

Nas are interested in this sort of issue so call their advice line. Some Solicitors may have appropriate training. Caroline Hensby at adders may be able to help- www.adders.org.uk

It is also VITAL that in any interview conducted by the Police (or others) an ASD TRAINED person is on hand. The manner in which they are questioned WILL influence the response. Advice from o/h (SEN governor and exclusion appeal committee chair - at LEA level) is consider a counter-claim. Had he not been pushed, he may not have lashed out in return. You need to tell your friend to get expert help!

Hi Paul,

Just a thought, does this child have a statement of special needs?

My sons statement states that every adult who comes into contact with him, should be fully aware of his condition (AS) and how he can respond to incidents in school.

If this teacher is aware of your friends child's problems, then he must surely have know that his actions would have prvoked a negative response, and as such he is probably to blame for it occurring.

Hope it all works out ok

Regards tizz