amberzak

Do you go through bad patches?

I haven't gone for a diagnoses, but I do have Aspergers (hope that makes sense). I just wondered if people find they have periods where they can cope better than other periods. Last night I was coming back on the bus and I was soaking wet so I rang my husband to ask if his dad could come and get me, and he said his dad was out so he would walk down to meet me. When I got off the bus, he wasn't there so I rang him. He said him and his dad were on their way to pick me up. I got angry because the plans had changed and he hadn't let me know, and he didn't understand why I was feeling that way. That is what we call my Aspie moments. Problem is, they seem to be coming in a lot at the moment. He says he can cope with my obsessions I get and all that, but it's the other little things he has trouble with. Do you find you have these weird moments?

I get like this when change happens, espeically when someone decides to do one thing and then go and change it. I also struggle with grey areas of advice which is just a 'guideline', I take it literal and I don't have the ability to work out the difference between what it is saying and actually working it out.

I do have rough patches where I suffer with increased mental health problems where I feel like I regress back with my asperger and other times when life is good I make progress with myself and aspeger.

I think it's one thing that we all go through as spectrum type people - it's how we deal with it that makes the difference. CBT(Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) helped me a lot in dealing with those moments. I wouldn't say that it works 100% of the time for every person but it can help.

I go through low periods(like at the moment)and things get a lot harder to handle, but they don't last forever! It's always good to have friends on forums like this who know exactly what you are going through because they have been through it themselves :)

Chocolate and Gerard Butler movies also help :)

I'm in the type of bad patch where I just have to ride things out and try to stick with life when everything around me is falling apart - what's worse is there is nothing I can do about some things and knowing that I will have to pick up all the pieces later is very wearing...

CBT could help you with dealing with the anxiety that causes these feelings. I don't have ASD, but my son does, and he has lots of what I define as anxiety filled moments, he has yet to learn a system of dealing with them, but I think (as someone that suffers from anxiety and controlling tendencies) once we get into a pattern of anxiety, it is very difficult to get through it, see logically and get people to understand how it feels. Seeking some porfessional help to organise thinking, to learn how to tackle those thought processes and deal with situations calmly and clearly could really make a difference to you, I only deal with child services, so wouldn't know where to tell you to go to, if you don't already have contact with anyone about this, but starting with the GP (albeit possibly futile) requesting a referral to the relevant dept for cognitive behaviour therapy, would be a start. It's terribly difficult to understand for everyone else, especially as it's probably very difficult to explain how you feel. But getting some help/advice about it professionally may really help :)

I'm well entrenched in the service - I sometimes wonder if this is the reason that they ignore me sometimes - but paranoia aside, I think I'm pretty angry at the service in general, actually I'm very angry for a number of reasons!!!

Anxiety is a real problem in my life - and I definitely get stuck in ruts because of it - it can be very hard to break the cycle, ignoring everything that is personal, the biggest issues are social and outside anxieties (two key reasons of eternal bad patches - this is still ignoring all the more personal types of anxiety: such as routine/change/learning for example)

I'm waiting on CBT :) I guess I'm worried that a recent med change I've had has made things a lot worse - all the steps forward I made this year have been undone in one simple step and seeing months of hard work destroyed is very anger inducing and depressing. The GP I saw a week ago did nothing to help other than saying I need to give new meds longer to work, so that means I gotta wait to see a shrink at the end of the month.

Does anyone understand how this cycle continues? and how bitter this has made me? which then makes it harder to talk about to the docs, so then I forget to say relevant things to health professionals, which then probably makes things worse and then I feel angry and miserable and round it all goes again. :wallbash:

Hi there,

Have you tried to find a way to be angry in an 'appropriate' setting ?

I know it may sound silly, but I find that trying to 'cope' with anger SO much harder than letting it out ! LOL.

Giving a punch bag a really good beating makes me feel SO much better than trying to rationalise my anger, and once the anger is directed toward something I feel it disappear.

There's nothing wrong with feeling angry, frustrated and just generally pi**ed off with everything, but trying to hold it in and 'deal' with it can be toxic !

Merry Xmas, x