Sign in to follow this  
toby

Doing A Foundation Degree.

Hello all

so as a 19 old aspie student on a foundation degree im sturggling big time. im not getting the support im due even though we've asked for it grrr, ive got teachers and "support" staff that have no idea how to support me and its really stressing me out.

now my question to you all is, is their anything you can reccomend to help or stuff we can do as right now im about ready to quit?

thanks for reading

Hi Toby

Sorry to hear this but don't quit just yet, not until you've done everything you can.

What kind of educational institution is it - university or college?

From what you say the support is officially in place (they are not denying that you need it and it's there on paper) but they aren't giving any support or it's the wrong kind of support?

What would you like the staff to do differently to meet your needs and what have you done so far to try and sort this out with the institution?

Sorry for the questions but if you give us a bit more context we might be able to suggest things that might help.

K x

Hi Toby

I agree with Kathryn, if you could give us a little more about what support you do or are meant to get it will help. Also what level were you at before starting your course? Prehaps you were not quite ready? That is not to say give up, please do not give up on education, it may just mean you need to go back a bit and may take slightly longer but you will get there :)

that sounds like how my english course has been.. tutor says ' you could do with someone working with u, as that helps you', when get there no one extra in lesson to help me and then i feel let down and then get shouted at ' what's your problem your not doing enough work', so i break down in tears and she tells me off for being stressed when that isnt stress im suffering with depression and see someone in college about it. she lets me down all the time so im failing in class and me working towards level 1 she gone and dropped me down to learning at E3 when i passed that

Hi Toby,

I am applying to start a foundation degree next year.

I'm sorry it's not going well for you.

Are you just starting your first year?

Is there a disability or support department you could speak to?

Do you know what kind of support you need?

Sometimes us aspies can communicate better in writing than by talking. It might help to write down what's not helping and what might help more, so that you can communicate this clearly to the people who are supposed to be supporting you.

I hope you will be able to get the support you need.