Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

How is a young person funded once they reach 18 and living in a residential home?

Does anyone know or is in fact in that position at the moment, how is a young person with autism funded in a residential home once they reach 18? How do the finances work out, who pays what etc? Would be really interested if anyone has any knowledge on this subject would really appreciate it thanks!

Edited by JeanneA

I live in a supported living if that is what you mean by residential. Social services funds our home but our housing benefit covers the rent side. But our contribution to the rent covers the electric, gas and all that bill.

Hi, hows it going. my own lad is 16 now, things are good at the mo but will be in your position soon, probably looking at supported living, so will be interested in replies. scary to think they will be adults soon.

yep. I have lived here for nearly 2 years. Housing covers rent, contribution covers gas, electric and all that. some places are lucky because the staff pay for your tv licenses. But social services funds the house.

If you are considering supported housing for your child at some time in the future, it is good to put them on the housing list as soon as they are 16, This means that by the time they need a place they have already accrued some wating time, and are further up the list. By the time my son needed supported housing, he had been on the list for 3 years and was top of the list for supported housing (even then it was really lucky that a place became available at that time).