LlamaRama

Any advice?

I have this problem that no one has really helped me with, I was wondering if perhaps anyone here has any advice?

Basically, I've always had trouble with, well, talking. I find it hard to convert what I want to say, into what I say; I often stutter, gabble, say 'um' too much and forget what it was I was going to say. I find it particularly hard to talk in front of a lot of people, and on the spot. I often resort to trying to convey my thoughts using gestures, and whenever I say something it's usually not as eloquent as I hoped. I know this is probably one of the most obvious and biggest problems with Autism, but I've never really received much advice on the subject.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks for reading. :)

Um, I think most of us have similar problems (((hugs)))

I was thinking a similar thing... writing is comparatively easier - but I'm a well-known rambler using text too :oops: but at least it allows that extra time to think what I want to say.

Hi there,

Actually there is something you could try, it depends on exactly what happens to you when you are speaking though.

If your mind starts going 'into overdrive' or 'goes blank' when you are talking then hypnotherapy might help.

I trained as a hypnotherapist (with a view to working from home as no-one would accept my daughter for childcare) and I've successfully used hypnotherapy with her to help with problems like this.

I know it can't help everyone or with everything, but it can be very effective in reducing the stress and worry associated with speaking in public, which in turn helps you be able to talk more 'freely' and more 'naturally'.

If you think this is worth a try be sure and use a properly qualified hypnotherapist. Check they are a member of the NCH .

Merry Xmas X

It might help to attend autism meetings, like minded people are a lower threshold..

So you can be who you are.. if you feel like just listening, that's fine.. if you try and dare to speak, nobody would mind if you'd stutter, stammer, get caught halve way thru a sentence and not knowing what you were talking about.. I guess that lowers the anxiety loads ;-)

You could also find out which members live nearby and try to meet in a smaller group (in Holland we also plan our own meetings.. walks, high tea, even a few days camping.. apart from what the usual organisations have organized.. Than you can decide which date and time is good for you, and also.. if you dare not somehow.. there will be understanding from the other side; Keep the communication open when trying to make such an appointment: so you know what might work against you or the other.. Utter your anxieties, so the other knóws..

I have met up with some other women (mixed groups is a higher threshold somehow), somehow finding myself one of the more talkative :huh: ..lol! In groups I usally am really realy silent..

good luck and have fun!