littleplum

News report - How one US school treats an autistic pupil

This story relates to the USA but I still hope it is isolated, even there.

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.TvUPpkrSD45

It seems the school in Kentucky operates a punishment regime involving the placing of a child in a duffel bag and then closing it. This case involves a nine-year-old autistic boy with ADHD. The school has actually defended the punishment.

The mind truly boggles!

Edited by littleplum

No child should have to go through that hell hole. I hope the kid gets justice.

This is shocking, especially the authoritiy's statement that they followed standard procedure. For such a litigious country, it amazes me how dysfunctional the USA is when it comes to the human rights of their own people.

This appears to me to be abuse, so I don't understand why the article doesn't even mention police involvement.

I think this is completely wrong - but I did wonder if this was some misguided twist on weighted blankets having a calming effect.... I used to like crawling into small dark places to calm down as a kid, so that's why I wondered if someone suddenly thought this would be a good idea :rolleyes: Just to reiterate - I think it was the wrong thing to do.