matzoball

Fictional Characters in the Media and Aspergers

After a spirited lunchtime discussion I thought it would be fun to have the same one on here!

Which fictional characters do you think are on the spectrum?

Do you mean ones that don't necessarily have asperger's? Cuz there's that dog in the night time, and someone said about a Jodie Piccoult book, and I've read a couple of "crime" style books that have had a kid and an adult with AS in :lol:

Actually I'm assuming you don't mean that :rolleyes:

Can you say one character you or someone else thought of to get the discussion going - unless someone who isn't me has a better idea cuz it sounds interesting but I'm less than useless right now ;)

Edited by darkshine

For example - I think that the current incarnation of Sherlock is on the spectrum :) Or Sheldon from Big Bang Theory - that sort of thing! Characters that don't say they have it, but it seems like they do!

Have you seen the movie? Is there any similarity in character (between tv series and film)? And if you haven't seen the movie, what makes you think the guy in the tv series has AS traits or characteristics that suggest a possibility of being on the spectrum? :)

Have you seen the movie? Is there any similarity in character (between tv series and film)? And if you haven't seen the movie, what makes you think the guy in the tv series has AS traits or characteristics that suggest a possibility of being on the spectrum? :)

Im not too big a fan of the movie as it was a bit too 'hollywood' for my tastes, but with the tv series it's hard to pin down to just one thing! His logical nature, his difficulty in social situations with everyone but Watson, his hyper-keen observational skills just to name a few things. I know these traits aren't exclusive of ASD, but if you watch the show you will see what I mean :)

Napoleon Dynamite is thought by many to be AS. I can't tell - if he is then it's a caracature. Brilliant film, though.

It's a great movie - there's now a cartoon with the original cast doing the voices :)

It's a great movie - there's now a cartoon with the original cast doing the voices :)

Really? That could work better... or it could be worse :unsure:

I don't mind the Sherlock movie - it's not the kind of thing I'd wanna watch too often though...

No need to worry about me leaping on any comments about AS stuff on this post - it's only for fun after all ;)

What about Hannibal Lector? - sure, he can do the eye-contact thing but it's often in an abnormal way, he's very picky on who he talks to, he sees things other people don't, he's happy in his own company, has special interests in terms of classy foods, wines, opera and stuff like classical history, is very focused... but then again he's also supposed to be a psychopath but hey why hold that against him :lol:

Hi,

My son J (nt 10) calls my son, W (12, AS) Sheldon - especially when he says "you're sitting in my seat!" Luckily, W loves the Big Bang - (I do try to discourage name calling).

Di

William Dobbin in Vanity Fair, who is said to have been based on Thackeray himself. Possibly Amelia too.

On wiki and wrongplanet there are several of these lists..

without reading those, my thoughts were:

Dr House, Dr Cox (Scrubs)

Gorren (d'onofrio), Reid (criminal minds), Sherlock (series),

all 4 men from BBT, esp Sheldon

Sebastian, the never ending story

The whole household from Malcolm in the Middle..

Furb (Phineas and..)

Several characteres played by Johnny Depp.. Jack Sparrow; Sam (Benny&Joon)

Arnie (diCaprio in What's eating Gilbert Grape)

... maybe more come to mind..

George in Vince and Joy by Lisa Jewell. He sounds like a carbon copy of a stereotypical Asperger's husband as described by an NT wife.

Coriolanus. Perhaps the earliest example? :) Were I lucky enough to get the part, I would definitely play him as someone with AS.

K x

What about Malvolio in Twelfth Night?

I've always identified strongly with Anne Shirley (as in Green Gables), although I don't think she is an Aspie. As I recall, she doesn't seem to have had problems making or keeping friends among her peers at school and college. There are some minor characters in the books who might be Aspies in that they are a bit aloof and standoffish at first acquaintance (e.g. Diana's Aunt Cornelia, Mr Harrison, Katherine Brooke in Windy Poplars, Leslie Moore in House of Dreams) - and Anne has this wonderful ability to win them over and make them feel valued and appreciated. So when I say I identified with Anne I mean not that she was just like me, only that I wanted to be like her - intelligent, attractive, thoughtful, serious-minded and well liked. Unfortunately real life isn't like that, at least not in the present era. Could you imagine today's teenage girls playing at acting out The Lady of Shallott? Anyone who suggested it would most likely be teased for being teacher's pet.