Sign in to follow this  
julie-2

Smearing

Hi

I have'nt posted for some time but still take a look through some of the threads for advice which are always very helpful.

I have been having trouble since last September when my 11yr old daughter started the new term with a group of different children at the special school she attends. Since being in the new class she has come home quite often complaining that a certain boy is hurting her and she frightened of him. I have spoken to the school about this, they say he's new to the school and needs time settling in etc. She has also been wetting herself occassionally at school which she has never done before.

The smearing started with her using the toilet upstairs before going to bed. She would use the downstairs toilet throughout the day downstairs, without smearing, but would insist on using the one upstairs before bed.

She normally would smear the towels, mat, walls, and anything left in the bathroom.

What really concerns me though is that I have found the end of toothbrushes, hairbrushes and other things soiled with poo where I presume she has tried to put them up her bottom.

The reason I say this is because I found a toothbrush with poo and some blood on it and heard her saying it wont come out it wont come out. She does have major issues when using the toilet for a poo anyway and has done since the age of 4.

She tends to get very worked up and aggressive and will punch her head, throw things and become violent.

It is very hard trying to keep her calm when she becomes like this, I try to stay calm myself and reassure her, and this does take time but normally works.

I have informed the GP and the school about this and they have said they dont have any smearing at school.

I am now waiting for a referral to Barnet Scan where they can apparently help with issues like this.

Not sure how long I am going to wait as they have a waiting list. In the meantime I have removed everything from the bathroom in order for her not to be able to hurt herself.

Has anyone been through similar? Is this normal behaviour for autistic children?

Advice much appreciated.

Julie :tearful:

Hi Julie, :)

Sometimes little children have worms. Some worms lie eggs in small compound of skin that irritates skin and can damage a child's toiletry routine. Sometimes it’s possible to observe worms in the feces in a potty.

I hope it helps.

Hello

Thanks for the reply, never thought about anything like worms, will have to try and check her poo nex time, although going to be difficult as she's 11years old, and wont let me anywhere near the toilet when she's using it.

Hi

Is it possible that the behaviour is copied? Prehaps from others at her school doing similar at school? Also if it may be connected to the boy is there any way of talking to her using drawing about what it is he does to her when he hurts her?

Did you discuss this with school?

Going to the toilet, especially for stool, can be a problem if you have sensory issues..

Too make it softer, it's very important that the bowls move a lot (like leg movement with biking); one drinks plenty; and you eat the right kinda foods..

There are simple yoga posses to help the bowls.. wouldn't even take much time..

ASS kids basic emotion is fear.. thus stress: that means that most of the time, the bowls don't get enough blood to rightly do their duty! (flight means more blood to legs! ..to run and hide!)

A lot of ASS people have IBS (irritable bowl syndrom) or other problems alike .. it's not a cause, moreover an effect from being overstressed..

It would be helpful to know if the soiling stops when her stool is smoother..

Preferably in the most naturalistic ways, for medication might cause bowls to becoming inactive if taken too long.. which would lead to a bigger problem..

Discuss things openly with her.. and find a solution together, parents always have the last say of course.. that's why you're parents ;-)

**it might be usueful to call a (children's) hospital specialized in stool/poop problems and get some info from them

Hate to say this but if it is worms, the chances are all the family will have them by now. They always recommend you treat the whole family.

This is from www.nhs.uk

Threadworms often go unnoticed, but symptoms can include:

intense itching around the anus, particularly at night when the female worms are laying eggs

itching around the vagina

disturbed sleep as a result of the itching, which can make you irritable

Many thanks for your replies.

Justine1:- I have talked to my daughter's school about the smearing, and it seems she does not have the problem at school, although she has wet herself a number of times as became stressed about going for a pooh. The boy she becomes stressed about does not talk, and tends to just lash out at her, this is upsetting her and she comes home saying she doesnt want to go to school.

Butterfly73:- My daughter Sian always seems to drink plenty of fluids, east lots of fruit and veg, but she does have a tendency to not empty her bowels all at once, so this means she's using the toilet for a pooh 3/4 times daily.

I just dont understand why she has to use the toilet upstairs before going to bed, and will only use the toilet downstairs during the day.

Chris54:- I dont see my daughter itching around the back end area, just that when she uses the toilet she holds back for as long as she can which obviously is going to cause pain, and then she will become agitated and stressed.

I suppose I will just have to wait to hear back from SCAN to get some answers :unsure:

I am waiting to hear back from Barnet SCAN who deal with these kind of issues with autism and smearing.