AdamJ

Another condition to add to my list

I was admitted to hospital last Friday and was diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes. Apart from having to inject twice a day for ever more, it's a bummer because I'm going to have to change my whole attitude to food. No more eating for recreation and no more stuffing my face with chocolate! I've got so many conditions that I feel like I'm slowly disintegrating:

Insulin-dependent diabetes

A four-year history of acute pancreatitis (from which the diabetes stemmed)

A leg stuffed with metal which still isn't back to full strength two years after the car crash

AS

Depression

Acute anxiety disorder

Since 2007, these conditions have landed me in hospital as an in-patient 19 times. It's a miracle that I still have a job - I guess I'm lucky to be working for what must be the world's most patient and understanding employer!

Hey-ho, life goes on.

Very sorry to hear about your diabetes dx, I work in a team who work with children with diabetes so I know how complicated a condition it can be to control. Hope you're getting lots of support and help, it's a lot of information to take in at first, isn't it. I'm sure once you get into a pattern and get used to a routine of eating, you'll settle into it. I used to work with a guy years ago, and on my first day he told me all about his diabetes and how people had to know in case of him having a hypo. A couple of days later, it was someones birthday and they bought in chocolate gateaux and there he was stuffing his face with a huge lump of cake! 'I thought you said you were diabetic', I said to him, and he said, 'oh, it's okay, I just factor in the calories as part of my daily intake and take appropriate amount of insulin and it's fine!', so you can still have treats!

All the best.

~ Mel ~

I'm sorry to hear this, it's a lot to take in. I'm sure it does get easier once you unserstand it better. In the meantime, I hope you're getting all the help you need with it.

Sorry to hear about this, when so many problems build up it can get really hard to keep going. Though remember for the diabeties one good thing is that there is always diabetic chocolate to buy! :eat:

Thanks for all your kind words. It certainly is a lot to take in, although my brother has it so I already knew a little of the routine. Also, because of my pancreas, I knew deep down that it was only a matter of time before the diabetes followed.

I used to work with a guy years ago, and on my first day he told me all about his diabetes and how people had to know in case of him having a hypo. A couple of days later, it was someones birthday and they bought in chocolate gateaux and there he was stuffing his face with a huge lump of cake! 'I thought you said you were diabetic', I said to him, and he said, 'oh, it's okay, I just factor in the calories as part of my daily intake and take appropriate amount of insulin and it's fine!', so you can still have treats!

Mel, that's what my brother says. Please everyone, don't cancel my invitations to your chocolate fondue parties just yet. :eat1:

Sorry to hear about this, when so many problems build up it can get really hard to keep going. Though remember for the diabeties one good thing is that there is always diabetic chocolate to buy! :eat:

Interestingly, the diabetic nurses and the guidebooks say that diabetic foods are unnecessary if you're sensible about things. Mind you, if I can eat more diabetic chocolate than normal chocolate, I'll take the diabetic stuff!

Total bummer on the food changes, I'd suck at that, so I wish you well with it :thumbs:

Beware of diabetic chocolate though - a friend with diabetes says it makes you get the squits if you have too much ;)