chris54

Hidden Talents

Yesterday while cooking tea my son came up to me and said, "Iv been looking at the lock and handle to the bathroom door and Iv figured out how the go back on" (I had taken them off a few days before to paint the door) To which I replied, "Good you can help me put them back on later", "No I can do it on my own", "well all right then".

I ventured up stares a bit later to find that said lock and handle where fitted perfectly.(Screws just needed a final tightening) I was quite astounded. Shame he cant put as much skill into doing things like home work projects. But then it is because he wanted to do it, which always makes a difference.

Told him hes got a job from now on.

Shows how his mind is working, and what he can achieve if he is motivated.

I remember watching the film about Temple Grandin, and how she used to look at things and figure it out in her head how they worked, which led onto her design abilities.

Skill :thumbs:

I used to do things like that at a young age, an enquiring mind is a good thing to nurture - and having an ever willing door lock/handle fitter aint bad either ;)

Its amazing what a key motivator "wanting to do something" can be, I think you've hit on a real gem of truth there as I think people do better at things they want to do. Just a shame it can't be tapped and saved for those times when we have to do things we don't want to do, cuz we'd probably do them better!

I find hidden talents interesting, when I suddenly find something out about someone, like something they know, or can do that seems amazing, I find it pretty cool cuz I wasn't expecting it. :D

Good on your lad for finding something hes good at doing.

When I was 3 i managed to load a BBC Basic PC after seeing it done once. shift+break+break+shift.

i still remember the sequence.

I think this shows good spatial awareness Chris and an ability to understand the relationship between objects and sequences. Has your son come across black box problems?

Black box problems being mechanisms, or sounds etc... located inside a box for which you can only see the input that goes in a lever or a push button for example, but you can see an output. I say this because a lock is a very good example we know the key turns, some keys work some don't and the bolt comes out but how? The aim of black box problems is to come up with solutions which would connect the right inputs to outputs. There are no wrong or right answers as long as it would work. I have seen some amazing responses from very talented individuals in the past.

The thing with AS which amazes me and led me to seeking my own diagnosis is the dilema between how could I be so good at some things and so hopeless at others. This is very much a two faced coin and it is really refreshing to have a post which shows the positive side of the condition.

Think you might just have to get thar PaspberryPi and start on simple robotics in the near future, good luck! All kids are amazing its just a case of finding out what they are amazing at, then sitting back and taking real pleasure in their achievements.

When I was about 2 or 3 whiles helping my dad I stuck a screwdriver where a screwdriver shouldn't go. I ended up electrocuting myself and was unconscious for about 12 hours.

I sometimes wander if any permanent damage was done to my noodle.

Went on many years later to be an electrician. (Can not recall how many times I have had electric shock in the course of my work)

Edited by chris54