Sign in to follow this  
meemo38

Family fund question

Although we are struggling with our DLA claim for the second time around we got a grant from family fund last year, they took a while to get back to us, but they visited and although no diagnosis for Chris we got it, so i have just sent off the form for this year, anyone know how long they reply to applications that arnt you first???

We are desperate for a holiday with just Chris and the little one while my 3 go with their dad, to give Chris some good quality time with us, and not other kids to feel he has to compete with.

Michelle

I applied months ago online & haven't heard anything at all, never applied before

Edited by lil_me

Did you quote the reference number you were given the first time you applied as I think this speeds things up?

We just got our second grant from them and it took a while because I had forgotten to quote that number. We were also told that each time you apply you are eligible for less. We got holiday money and a new washing machine this time but as we were eligible for less we couldn't get the washer/driers they offer :D

lil_me - I applied for the family fund in April, a week after a friend of mine. I received a confirmation e-mail and letter and she just received the e-mail. She e-mailed them again the other day to see how much longer it would be. They told her that there had been a computer glitch and they had no record of her application even though she had received a confirmation e-mail. She now needs to start again. If you have had nothing from them yet, try e-mailing them just to make sure your application hasn't gone missing too.

Denise 2 :)

Candy, yes i am pretty sure i quoted the reference number, hopefully we will get enough to at least help towards a holiday, anything is better than nothing!!!!

Michelle

Hi

I applied online in April, and yesterday received a 'phone call from the local family fund rep.

She took all the details over the phone, which took about an hour, but besides that, she also gave lots of local info about different groups.

She then said I would receive a letter from the head office, asking for me to send income confirmation, and then I would know a couple of weeks after that, so about 3.5 months in total.

I saw from your post on the family fund you are also having problems getting DLA for your child.

We had a similar problem, but in the end went to a local disability rights group. They had experts there who 'helped' us fill in the form, and we received DLA very quickly.

I am hoping there may be a similar group in your area, or perhaps CAB, or the local NAS could help.

It isn't that these people put anything different in the forms, it is how they word it, and explain the information better than we can, in a way that lets the DLA people see there IS a problem.

Barry

Edited by bazranz

HI ALL APPLIED FOR FAMILY FUND IN FEB05 RECEIVED LETTER IN APRIL05 TO TELL US IT WOULD BE JUNE05 WHEN WE WOULD RECEIVE A REPLY E-MAILED THEM LAST WEEK THEY E-MAILED BACK THE NEXT DAY TO SAY DUE TO A HIGH DEMAND FOR THE FUND IT COULD BE AUG05 HOPE WE GET IT AFTER BEING TURNED DOWN FOR DLA FOR BOTH TWINS COULD DO WITH A LITTLE BREAK NOT HAD A PROPER HOL SINCE BEFORE THE TWINS WERE BORN AND THAT WAS NEARLY 9YEARS AGO FINGERS CROSSED KEEP SMILIN LUV KARIN XX

Just a follow up to my previous post,

On Monday 18 July we received a letter from the family fund asking us to confirm what our income was, and what benefits we received.

On Saturday 23 July we received a cheque.

So I would perhaps chase them up.

hi baranz received the same letter as you about income etc next thing a call then a longer call as we dont get dla for twins unlikely to get family fund grant it appears if you dont get dla you get naff all tried everything to get help for twins but to know avail so sad for them just wanted to take them away for a week not to be :(:(:(:(:(:( luv karin xx

That seems a bit unfair, especially as the DLA people are a rule to themselves, and they don't always listen to waht you say. When we first applied for DLA for our son, we were turned down. We then went to a disability rights organisation, one of their people filled out the form. Same information as we gave, but using the 'correct' wording.

That may be an avenue to explore.

Is there an appeal procedure with family fund?

Karin

Have you asked for any help with the DLA from the CAB or similar?

Whether or not you get DLA is only partially to do with your childrens needs, it arguably has more to do with how skilled you are at filling in the forms in, so it is worth getting some expert help.

Simon

Karin we didnt get DLA for chris when we applied to the family fund last year, but we got it, still havnt heard for this year as yet, but i did put on the form that we are appealling for DLA, so that may be a reason why we havnt heard yet!!!

michelle

I emailed the family fund last week as I applied almost 3 months ago and haddn't heard anything so I thought it may have been lost, they said my application is waiting to be looked at and they have had a massive amount of applications so it is taking them a while to get through them

hi all thanks for your reply helpful hints in these posts by the way mossgrove we dont have a cab in our town it had to close as it had no funding as for dial i e-mailed them 2 weeks before twin2s appeal heard nothing at all gave up am going to reapply in sept/oct maybe have more fight then am so tired of having to fight with everyone and it does not help if you are continually told there is nothing wrong with your twins when you know there is hope i dont depress too many of you not having too bad a summer except for the weather i know we need the rain badly but i hate being stuck indoors with my lot rather be outside a well never mind tomorrow is another day as the famous lady once said in gone with the wind keep smilin luv karin xx

what did you ask for from the fund, I want to go away aswell, I have never heard back, i havent been away for 15 years and at the moment I need a break, or respite or something I am shattered.

Hi Punky, when did you apply? We applied in April and had a visit last week. A friend who applied at the same time had her application go missing. She did it on-line and even though she had an automatic reply by e-mail the family fund had no record of it. If you are desperate you could try going through a social worker or carer support worker as they may be able to fasttrack it. After help through the carer support worker my friend has her visit next week so she didn't have to start all over agaon.

At the visit the advisor went through our circumstances and put down with our agreement what she felt would be most useful in order. We were told the holiday grant is approx.�380 as standard. This can be used as holidays or day trips. We had originally asked for a trampoline, but due to the reports of accidents in the media, and our son having no idea of danger we were unsure. She advised us that the grant is a recreation grant for us to spend as we wish as long as it is for the benefit of the child and we keep receipts. We have also applied for a grant to do our son's new room which is being built soon, a clothing grant and a bedding grant. We have not heard back from them yet and we have been told it is between 2 to 6 weeks for the reply to get to us.

She was a really nice lady and did not make us feel awkward at all. She explained that when a family has a child with special needs their income tends to drop quite a lot and they just aim to try and make families lives a bit easier.

If it has been a while since you applied it is worth e-mailing them, they reply to these quite quickly.

Good Luck

Denise 2 :)

I rang the family fund the other day to check they had got the application and was told it could take 12 weeks even though its not a first application, they have a huge backlog!!!!

Michelle