shas

Diagnosed

Hi all,

Long time no visit.

Have had an assessment at last in cambridge, I have aspergers and I am proud of it. It has cleared my mind of a lot of isues. My son of 26 and I both have it, as does possibly an uncle.

I know my life will not change, but to know I am not crazy or mad, is fab.

Thanks to all those who have offered support in the past

Really pleased you have some answers shas :)

It's really good to have proof of why you are the way you are, but do prepare yourself for some mixed emotions when you get to see the full report. Mine highlighted issues I wasn't aware of, which did make me feel a bit upset as well as pleased to have answers. But the positives will win out in the end and you will end up just feeling pleased to have it confirmed.

Congratulations it's Aspergers.

I felt a sense of relief after realising I had AS. Maybe not "severe" but I exhibit several hallmarks of the condition. It was like I found the lost piece of a large jigsaw after many years. That last piece finally made me "see" and understand the whole picture. I am now so happy and feel more confident in the sense that I am able to better identify children in my clinic who might have AS and relate to them more appropriately. I like to think the parents of these children (many of whom I've seen many times) feel reassaured that at least somebody "understands". Welcome to the club!

I too recently had a suspicion of Aspergers confirmed so I know what you mean about clearing your mind of a lot of issues.

Funny that, earlier this year a spokesperson for Cambridge NAS told me CLASS were no longer doing diagnoses.

Shas, thanks for your post it is good that you have a positive attitude to your diagnosis. From personal experience I would be aware that the next few months can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride. At times I moved between the is it a good thing to is it a bad thing and back again camps. I would be carefull not to try and fix a position in your mind but let things take a natural course and I am pretty sure you will reach the right conclusions.

Post diagnosis I felt a lot of responsibility to have to say what I felt about my diagnosis, after all people do as you. I would say it was the outcome I wanted but deep down I knew I hadn't come to and end point yet. For me that process took around 18 months before I was fully settled on the idea of having a diagnosis for AS. I would say that 90% of that time I felt the way I do today. However there are times when I feel why do I have this ###### thing I hate it. I know I am allowed to feel this way, I have good reason to and it is important I recognise those feelings they are part of me. Getting a diagnosis is not about putting a brave face on and resigning yourself that this is how it will be for the rest of your life. Rather it is about creating more understanding as to why we are the unique individuals we are. That process takes time and patience and a lot of self reflection to draw our own individual conclusions. This point is not meant personally but felt it was important to raise it as people will have a diagnosis and not feel good about it, for their own valid reasons and that is an OK position to take as well.

Take care.