RYOUNG78

Explaining to a work colleague that you have Aspergers?

I have a work colleague who is also a friend who I have known for a long period of time. Do you think it would be a good idea to explain to her about my condition so my colleague better understands why I am the way I am and say and do the things I do?

I've pondered on the same question for some years now, and still I haven't made that step. I fyou know your colleague for some years already, what difference would it make? She already knows your quirks. It would only make sense if you wanted her advice re. someone else (whom both of you know or whom she knows better).

Thanks for the replies. My friend at work has a very different personality to me (she can be very brash) but our.friendship has grown over the years becoming stronger during the last year or so.

I don't know - it's hard to say. Are you reaching out to your colleague or to your friend? Which is more important? Do they really need to know? Should they know? Are you worried about losing their friendship through telling them? This is my particular worry when telling people in my life - that I might distance them.

It really is your choice what you do; you don't have to reveal everything though if you don't want to. Write down what you have (i.e. describe your syndrome) and take bits out you wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable telling them. Re-word it and take more bits out if necessary until you have what you'd feel comfortable telling them. That way you're being true to yourself while being true to them too without running the risk of abject rejection. And if they reject you on what you feel is a true reflection on your part then they weren't really your friend any way and you can move on.

Good luck!