I am currently a third year student of Human Geography at the University of Strathclyde. I am doing my dissertation over the summer on adults with Aspergers and their experiences and difficulties when navigating the urban environment and public spaces.

I have already been in contact with a few adults with Aspergers who have listened to my proposal and are very keen to become involved in my research as they believe it may aid in having some affect on city planning. I have also made contact with urban planners, designers, architects and council officials who are very interested in participating in my research.

My hope is to make contact with other adults with Aspergers who may be interested in participating either by interviews, field work, or keeping an individual diary recording the issues they experience whilst in the urban landscape and in public spaces.

It may be worth mentioning I have 2 young sons with Aspergers and therefore, I am sensitive to Aspergers on a personal level. I am also in my late thirties which may make some adults more comfortable with speaking to me.

I would be most grateful if anyone would be willing to participate in my research. If you wish confirmation of my identity and intentions please feel free to email my dissertation supervisor Dr Allyson Noble. allyson.nobel@strath.ac.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,

Shona Davidson

Hi Both,

I have sent you both private messages with relevant information. I look forward to hearing from you both.

Best Wishes,

Shona

As a result of speaking with others I thought it may help if I added the following information for those who may be interested in participating.

Research aims and objectives

• To examine the issues adults with Aspergers deal with when navigating city centres, museums, shopping malls and their workplace.

• To establish which public spaces present most exclusion to adults with Aspergers and why.

• Recognition of what possible changes could be made to public spaces and work places.

• To provide evidence to urban developers, planners etc to rethink planning which will support individuals with ASD: The need for ‘safe’ places/ spaces.

Significance:

• The UK Aspergers population is double that of individuals registered blind/visually impaired, however, urban planning fails to implement features beneficial to urban navigation by individuals with Aspergers.

• Extensive research has proven that as much as Aspergers has been researched by Geographers there has been very little research on the adult population.

What I am looking for:

• Adults willing to participate in keeping a field diary of their daily experiences when in (i) Urban environments eg city centre; (ii) Parks; (iii) Museums; (iv) Shopping Malls and (v) Working environments.
  • Adults willing to participate in interviews either in person, via telephone, or online.

The Diary would involve:

Reporting issues when in the aforementioned locales such as : sensory problems, feelings of exclusions, changes/ alterations that could make the location Aspergers friendly.

· To be filled at your own leisure and in your own way and can report on other public places

· Will be supplied by me with my contact details should they be needed.

· Have as much or as little entries as you wish and can be anonymous.

Edited by shonad09

Hi Special_talent123, I have been told this before. It is absolutely absurd I think to keep changing the names. My research is not isolated to Aspergers I have in my proposal used 'ASD' frequently so as not to isolate the research.

What happens when the American Academy of Psychiatry change the goalposts - the current DSM-IV is about to be superseded by issue V which will make it more difficult/less likely for children to receive a diagnosis of ASD/AS/PDD etc etc? Call me a conspirist but I wouldn't put it past them to remove Aspergers altogether from the spectrum.

Hi guys,

I'm not going to pretend I have any real knowledge of this, however, for me it makes no difference what new 'label' they give my boys or what 'label' they remove from my boys I know they have Aspergers and I love them as they are. These bureaucrats can do as they wish, but, as far as I am concerned they only wish to remove specific titles, labels etc to withdraw their commitment to services.

As I see it, it seems a shame to remove the title of the guy who classified autism (I know Kanner did too) but from what I've seen so far Asperger seemed to be more compassionate and looked for the good things too. I appreciate names change but in this case I see it as a negative and confusing change not an improved one.